Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Tourist

GoPro Hero 7 App connection problems Android

[ New ]

Hey everybody,

I bought my gopro 7 yesterday and I can´t connect it to the App. I have an Huawei with the Android 6.0 Software. I tried everything on the troubleshooting website from GoPro, like changing from 5 to 2,5 GH, disable security apps, etc. Does somebody has an idea what else could be changed? 

Thanks

Luis

GoPro

Re: GoPro Hero 7 App connection problems Android

[ New ]

Hi @luish0211

What specific error are you getting?

What is the model of your Huawei phone?

Have you tried pairing it with a different phone?

Other troubleshooting steps you may try are:

Uninstalling/reinstalling the app.

Resetting the WiFi settings.

Then try pairing the camera and the phone again.

Also, please check the what version you have for the GoPro app.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Hey aragon 1006,

the error is "something went wrong, please try again later".

I´ve got the Huawei mate S.

I didn´t try it with another phone because I don´t have the option right now.

I updated the GoPro, so it has the latest version

I also tried the other troubleshooting steps but nothing works..

Is there anything else I can try?

Thank you for your quick answer!

Luis

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @luish0211,

Please try to contact our customer support team via phone or chat. 

https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

They might be able to assist. 

Just prepare your serial number and SD card brand and model.

Thanks,

-Jay 

Nomad

[ New ]
@luish0211,

Please try the following.

Turn on bluetooth on your phone.
Pair the phone via bluetooth first (if you have already done this try deleting the pairing and repairing to make sure connection is clean)

On camera ensure wifi frequency is set to 2.4ghz ( I know you say you've done this but best to check)

On camera select connection>gopro app. It will then start to pair and show you an ssid and a password.

On you phone, in wifi settings manually connect using ssid and password shown on phone. Hopefully your phone should then say connected(no internet)

No on the app on the phone select the menu and camera option.

if your camera isn't shown on the screen then Click on the + in the top right hand to add a new device. It should then find the camera and show it with the little wireless symbol as blue.

To be sure if your camera is listed then delete and re-add as above, this will make sure it's a clean connection over 2.4ghz.

Hopefully you should then be able to select the camera and see live preview/change settings.
Hiker

[ New ]

The app is working and the phone does make a ip connecion with the gopro (no internet and on 2.4ghz)

but if I try LIVE I can't setup rmtp as it just stops the app - also while the phone is connected to
the gopro it does not have acces to the internet so this does not permit any apps on the phone to acces the
internet while its connected to the gopro - thats a problem because I need the phone to work
as the hotspot/internet gateway maybe even using vpn routing to a known ip adress destionation
of the rtmp data but is it in any way possible to assing known wifi hotspos ?

I have also a Teradek device for streaming this can be assigned to a wifi and from a app/web browser
I can setup the rtmp destination and start/stop streaming - but it works even using vpn etc. but
if the gopro app limits connection to between the phone and the internet - but the phone cant access
the internet because it using a wifi connection without a internet its problem, no app can acces the internet.
But does use 2.4ghz wifi connection

I tried using my sons ipad - and using the S5 android as regular hotspot/gateway and that was
working even using 5Ghz but there must be more than one problem with the adroid app solution?

@andrews63 wrote:
@luish0211,

Please try the following.

Turn on bluetooth on your phone.
Pair the phone via bluetooth first (if you have already done this try deleting the pairing and repairing to make sure connection is clean)

On camera ensure wifi frequency is set to 2.4ghz ( I know you say you've done this but best to check)

On camera select connection>gopro app. It will then start to pair and show you an ssid and a password.

On you phone, in wifi settings manually connect using ssid and password shown on phone. Hopefully your phone should then say connected(no internet)

No on the app on the phone select the menu and camera option.

if your camera isn't shown on the screen then Click on the + in the top right hand to add a new device. It should then find the camera and show it with the little wireless symbol as blue.

To be sure if your camera is listed then delete and re-add as above, this will make sure it's a clean connection over 2.4ghz.

Hopefully you should then be able to select the camera and see live preview/change settings.

Nomad

[ New ]
Once the phone/app has established connection it can communicate just via bluetooth, so can re-establish Internet to a wifi hotspot or via data over the cellular network. Not sure why your's isn't wokring.

1st question, if we ignore live streaming for a moment, when you connect via the app is it working fully, eg can you live preview, can you change setting, stop/start recording etc.

2nd question, are you pasting the rmtp url and livefeed code into the rmtp field (it needs both to work).

Hiker

[ New ]

@andrews63 wrote:
Once the phone/app has established connection it can communicate just via bluetooth, so can re-establish Internet to a wifi hotspot or via data over the cellular network. Not sure why your's isn't wokring.

1st question, if we ignore live streaming for a moment, when you connect via the app is it working fully, eg can you live preview, can you change setting, stop/start recording etc.

2nd question, are you pasting the rmtp url and livefeed code into the rmtp field (it needs both to work).

1) Yes the android app is working fully on the Galaxy S5 neo.

When its working - the app does connects via the wifi to the network the hero7 app makes.
but this also turn off the hotspot on the phone and the result is a phone with no internet
access even if the mobile data is on.

2) on both the android asus tablet and my samsung galaxy S5 the live stream setup is not possible
because it just crash/stops - so its not because of a wrong rtmp url as this not even possible to setup.

I have tried uninstall and reinstall - I have tried to delete both bluetooth and wifi.

I have also tryed to turn of the wifi and enable hotspot sharing and then start the app but this
does connect to the phone via the gopro wifi and disable the hotspot :(

I have tried without activating the hotspot share and wifi - but the app the connect with hero7 via the wifi but
the phone then belive it internet access should go via the hero7 wifi network 10.x.x.x

Its not the same when i use my sons ipad - this did give me permission to 5g wifi and the rtmp setup and
a option to select what wifi/hotspots to use - it would be nice if this was saved in the gopro and livestream
was possible to select live stream the gopro but this is not possible in the gopro firmware

Tourist

[ New ]

Hello @andrews63 ,

I tried this and it turned out that my phone cannot connect via bluetooth because "there is an incorrect PIN or key". But I never typed any key while connecting to bluetooth. I hadn´t even the chance for this.

Thanks for replying!

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @luish0211

What version is your camera on?

The HERO7 Black does not ask for a Bluetooth PIN when connecting unlike older models.

Try resetting the camera's Wi-Fi information then proceed with the pairing process listed below. 

Preferences > Connections > Reset Connections

1. Open the GoPro App:
    • Your App should start searching for your camera.
  2. Pick up your camera: 
    • Power on your camera.
    • Open the utility drawer by swiping from the top to the bottom of the touch display, then select "Preferences."
    • Select "Connections" and then tap on "Connect Device."
    • Tap on "GoPro App" to put your camera in pairing mode.
    • At this point, you can tap on the "i" icon in the top right corner to see your WiFi name and password.
  3. Go back to the GoPro App:
    • You should see "We Found Your GoPro" and a blue "Connect" button. Tap on connect.
    • You will see a section to change your camera's name, or you can tap on the bottom button to leave the name as it is.
    •  Once a name is set your GoPro App will show a live preview of your camera. You're all set!

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Sightseer

[ New ]

dude, all this you are saying about - is just about ANDROID devices ! I cannot even connect my hero 7 black to mob app, even to update the software for my goPro from app. I needed to do that from my laptop (because on my desktop windows 8 is runnung - doesn't support new version of Quik) with windows 10 on it (just that windows can run new Quik 2.7).
I also had problems when my goPro DISABLE my wifi internet on my mobile - WHY IS THAT HAPPENING? of course, than i have problem to connect both devices (bluetooth turned on on my mobile).
I really believe that goPro is made just for IOS users, such a silly and rude behavior from one company. Really thinking about for returning back this product, really dissapointed !

Hiker

[ New ]

My main reason to buy the Hero 7 black was becasue of live streaming and that is not working.
The Camera is great but the LIVE streaming is not working - i would use it for local television
and I am really dissapointed  - it would be nice if they say we know its a problem and we
are working on a fix for the android app - but now they do sale Hero 7 black to android
users that will be dissapointed.   They should look on how the app is working on the
Terradek Vidiu - even if this does not have a android app you can configure the device
with a regular browser so no problems - tobad it looks like false advertisement until
the app ar fixed because I think the camera is OK.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @bojak03 @filipstadler

If you haven't already, please do the update manually. 

Please follow this link: https://gopro.com/update/hero7-black

Instructions are listed after the email address and serial number page.

This may also help in clearing out the connection issue

When your phone connects to the camera via the app, it will disconnect from your current connection(ex. home Wi-Fi) and switch to your camera's Wi-Fi name.

We are continuously updating the app both on the Android and iOS platform.

Should you continue to experience the same, please reach out to our Support Team to move forward with this concern.

https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Regards,

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

My Hero7black is working - so its also updated with the 01.51 Camera firmware - its the android stream app that
does not work on any android device I have.  Infact I have not head about anyone who have it working on android ?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @filipstadler,

Have you tried following the steps above?

If you already did please check with our customer support team. 

They might have a suggestion or resolution.

Regards,

-Jay

Hiker

[ New ]

I have done update to 01.51 via the app but also tried the manuel update with UPDATE folder on the SD card
and that also ended with a fine checkmark so the Camera is working fine  but none of my android devices is
working using the LIVE - it just crash and I have filed the repport it just return to the app where I can
reconnect to the camera wifi wokring best on 2.4Ghz band.  I dont even get to where I can setup
the rtmp stream etc.

I have found no way to get support for a solution - but I have head form no one its working on android
evey one give up - but I am open for suggetions ;)  Maybe someone outsite GOpro would make a
android solution if gopro cant fix the problems.

Sightseer

[ New ]

I have the same Issue, I have the Huawei p20.   The GoPro app just states that it cannot pair at this time.
I try to connect via the native Bluetooth app on the phone, it finds the Camera but won't pair.
It seems strange that the GoPro has a Bluetooth password, but when attempting to pair the camera and phone i'm not asked at any point for the Bluetooth password

What is also interesting is that I had a Hero 6 and Hero 7 black, as well as a fusion sent to me from GoPro for a project Im working on and NONE of them connect to the app on my phone

GoPro

[ New ]

HI @stewm2253

I have just paired a P20 with a HERO6 Black and a HERO7 Black and it has paired fine.

Which country are you located?

Have you tried changing the Wi-Fi band? (if purchased in an applicable region) has the option to select the Wi-Fi band to 5GHz or 2.4GHz.

Preferences> Connections> Wi-Fi Band

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Hero 7 White will not work with Gopro app and a Galaxy A8. I have tried all the support and help options. 

Is anyone at Gopro owning up to this outrageous fiasco? 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @fireypike78881

What error message are you getting?

Have you tried changing the Wi-Fi band?

To isolate the issue, try pairing it to a different phone.

For reference: Troubleshooting GoPro App Connectivity Issues

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
Thanks. I calmed down. Rebooted everything. Had a good night sleep. And tried again. So far so good. I'm impressed. It really can take a beating, and it bounced. A couple of times.
Sightseer

[ New ]

Android App doesn't work  on Google Pixel 3 XL

The app finds Hero 7 but when I press "Connect"

I'm getting "We Can't connect to Your GoPro"

The camera was successfully updated to the latest software version. 

The phone is also the latest version (Android 9)

2.4 GHz, Reset - done

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @dmytror78653,

My colleague encountered that and this might sound basic but restarting the phone and unpair and pair the camera worked. 

Please let us know if that will work. 

Regards,

-Jay 

Sightseer

[ New ]

Hi,

I've tried all (I think) solutions presented in this thread, but still no luck connecting my Huawei P9 to a Hero 7

For info, with an iPhone 6 it work perfect.

So Huawei not really compatible?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @patrikr57. If you have already gone through recommended troubleshooting steps including those that are detailed here https://gopro.com/help/articles/solutions_troubleshooting/GoPro-App-Camera-Connection-Troubleshootin... , it could be an issue with compatibility. Although, we tested it here with a Huawei P9 running on Android 7 and it worked. We're working on full support for your Android device and many others in the future. We will pass this information along to the team. 

Sightseer

[ New ]

i have the same problem with my brand nes gp7 black.  the app sees the camera but wont connect.  i have even spoken to gopro and they havent been able to fix it.  also i cant turn stabilisation at 4k or get 60 fps.  my advice to people would be to look at alternative products

Sightseer

[ New ]

didnt work for me

Sightseer

[ New ]

me too - had the same issues.  probably going to take it back

Sightseer

[ New ]

i also have the a8 and cant get a connection - gopro said they would find a solution, but i have given up.  maybe return and look at a sony.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @snowypike62505

Sorry for any troubles caused.

Were you able to install the latest updates for the GoPro App?

We have recently released an update for the Android version.

Once done, make sure to restart your phone (turn it on/off) then try to pair the camera again.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

I have the same issue on my Honor 9 & Hero7 Black.

1. Camera & app are successfully connected.

2. Trying to live stream wont work and gives the folloeing error:"Somethong went wrong ... Try Again"

3. No internet access while connecting my GoPro app to my Hero7 Black

GoPro

[ New ]

@boldrange67514, the camera connects to your mobile device through GoPro App via Wi-Fi. Typically, this connection will show "no internet connection" (or similar to that) on your Wireless Connection settings when the devices are connected. 

For Live Streaming using HERO7 Black reference, see https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/getting-started-with-live-streaming

At which point of the live streaming process are you getting the error? Does it happen as soon as you select "Setup Live"? Can you also post a screenshot of the error message for our reference?

Thanks! Hoping to hear back from you.

Ann

Sightseer

[ New ]

Hi, don't know about Apple-phones/tablets, but in Android-devices, if you use your phone as a hotspot, you cannot have wi-fi "on" at the same time, which means that the connection to GoPro cuts off. So for live streaming "on-the-go" with Android-device, one should actually have two devices; one used as a hotspot and other connected to GoPro via GoPro App.

If I'm wrong or there's a solution, how to do it otherwise, I'll be glad to know (among other Anroid users, I quess).

Sightseer

[ New ]

Huawei mate 20 pro... Impossible to connect... Tried all the solutions mentioned.... It's clearly an app problem... I do jeeping.. Camera is outside the car so I need to be able to control it... It connects only as new connection... Works for 2 to 5 minutes... Then app looses connection and then it reconnects if it wants after reloading 2-3 times the app... Or closing and reconnecting to wifi... Or stopping to the side of the road and start new pairing all over again.... Or even removing battery because the camera stays open but does not respond to any touch or button.... I am totaly disappointed and the problem was that I really had high expectations from this product... 

Sightseer

[ New ]

Huawei mate 20 pro... Impossible to connect... Tried all the solutions mentioned.... It's clearly an app problem... I do jeeping.. Camera is outside the car so I need to be able to control it... It connects only as new connection... Works for 2 to 5 minutes... Then app looses connection and then it reconnects if it wants after reloading 2-3 times the app... Or closing and reconnecting to wifi... Or stopping to the side of the road and start new pairing all over again.... Or even removing battery because the camera stays open but does not respond to any touch or button.... I am totaly disappointed and the problem was that I really had high expectations from this product... Actually after 3 tries I still haven't been able to post this post..... Lol... Even forum is buggy 

Highlighted
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @djphysio

See if switching the Wi-Fi Band will help.

Preferencec> Connections> Wi-Fi Band> 2.5/5GHz

For reference see: Troubleshooting GoPro App Connectivity Issues

You may also reach out to our Support Team for assistance through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs     

Thanks!
Ej

Sightseer

[ New ]

Hi.

I'm really angry. 

My Huawei Mate 20 Pro works flawlessly with my GoPro Hero7 black. Because of that good experience I've bought one for my father.

He's got a Huawei P20Pro and nothing works. I've done all the workarounds, updates, wifi band changes, blutooth resets and so on! Nothing works. This is nuts. Does my father really have to change his mobile? GoPro claims to have the top notch action cam available on the market but is not able to provide a working solution for the most used OS on mobile phones. Even a **bleep**ty 50$ cam works flawlessly with any phone. Whats wromg with you guys? Why do you ignore android users? 

Why don't you care for android users? 

Please don't give me a standard answer and tell me to contact somebody who gives me the standard answers. Remember, I've done the change to 2.4GHz, I've done all resets, I've done everthing. So what will you come up with? 

Thank you!

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @florianh45732

Given that the camera works with your phone, it could be on your father's phone.

I have tested a P9 a P10 and a P20 and did not encounter any errors.

To isolate the issue further you can also test the camera with a different mobile device.

Thanks!

Ej