Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Find a solution. Share a solution. Ask a question. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Tourist
Accepted Solution

GoPro Hero 6 Black re-connection problems with Android Capture app

I am having problems with the Android Capture App power control function with my Hero 6 Black.  I make the connections ok and the power button in the app will power the camera down and power it back on, but if I leave the camera off for much more than 10 minutes I get a message saying the wifi connection was lost and I am not able to reconnect with the H6B without manual intervention on the camera.  I had read where the H5B could remain powered off for up to 8 hrs, but I am not seeing anything close to that with the H6B.  Did something change?   I bought this camera for that function.  I want to mount the H6B on the wingtip of my airplane and power the camera up and down in scenic areas to conserve battery on 3 - 5 hour flights.  Manual intervention on the camera isn't possible during flight, so I'm hoping someone has a solution for me.  

I have tried this on several different Samsung devices.... Tab 4 & Tab S tablets and S4 phones with similar results.  I have the latest 2.01 FW on the H6B.

Thanks for any help.

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: GoPro Hero 6 Black re-connection problems with Android Capture app

Please keep us posted @jim8jd,

Hope that it would be all sorted out.

Thanks,

-Jay

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

Hi @jim8jd

I have tested a HERO6 Black, you should still be able tor reconnect and power the camera from the app up to 8hours.

Try re-flashing the software of your camera.

1. Go to the HERO6 Black update page.
  2. Under "Other ways to update" at the base of the page, click "Update your camera manually."
  3. Enter your Serial Number and other requested information, click Next Step.
  4. Click "Download Update."
  5. Click "Click here to download firmware."
  6. Follow the steps on the screen for detailed instructions for your operating system

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

Thanks much Ej.  I'll give that a try and let you know how it goes.

GoPro

Please keep us posted @jim8jd,

Hope that it would be all sorted out.

Thanks,

-Jay

Tourist

I completed the manual FW update of 02.01 and got the big checkmark on the front screen.  I relinked the camera to the app and saw the camera screen on the app when connected.  I powered the camera down and 10 minutes later I got a pop-up saying the wifi connection to the camera was lost (screenshot attached).  I eventually assumed that to be normal with wifi disconnected to conserve battery power while the camera is powered down.  I also assumed a bluetooth connection is used to power the camera up, which causes wifi to reconnect and everything is back working normally. 

What I discovered after doing many different trials was there was no paired BT connection between my Samsung S4 phone/app and the H6B, so once the wifi connection was disconnected after 10 minutes, there was no way for the camera to be woken up other than pressing buttons on the camera.  I went to the BT setting screen on both Samsung S4's and there were no GoPro devices listed... I did several scans and still nothing showed up for pairing on either S4.  I tried this on my Tab 4 late tonight and GoPro 9441 showed up as paired in the BT settings screen, with 9441 being the last 4 of my camera SN. For some unknown reason it appears my 2 Samsung S4 phones do not recognize or pair with the H6B bluetooth. 

With the Tab 4 I still get the wifi connection lost pop-up when wifi is turned off after the 10 minute timeout.  What was different with the Tab 4 was when it tried to reconnect and went back to the camera connection starting point, the little blue antenna was still blue, where it was dark on the S4's since there was no BT connection.  When I touched the camera with blue wireless antenna, it powered up and reconnected the camera.  I tried this a few times and was able to wake up the camera well after the wifi disconnected, so I'm sure it will work for longer powered down periods. I tried it on my Tab S just now and it also shows the GoPro 9441 paired, so I'm sure it will work there as well.  SInce I was getting the wifi disconnect pop-up's like I did on the S4's, I assumed the Tab 4 and Tab S didn't work, but in fact they are both working as they should.

Now my challenge is figuring out what device to use to control the camera, since I use the other devices for flying apps... that problem can be solved now that I know this function is working properly with the H6B.

Problem discovered...  the remote power function will not work on a Samsung S4 phone due to lack of BT pairing between phone and H6B... there may be other phones that have a similar problem, but possibly not many people use this function over extended periods and haven't ran into the problem.  

Thanks to Ej for the feedback that the function is still working properly on the H6B, which helped me keep plugging away to discover the real problem, which was my phone, not the H6B.

Thanks again!!  I can't wait to try it out in flight. :)

Screenshot_2018-12-06-20-10-26.png
GoPro

Thanks for getting back to us @jim8jd

I am not sure why the S4s do not recognize the Bluetooth ID.

Have you tried testing it with other Bluetooth devices?

Were you able to test it on your last flight?

For reference, you may also check this article.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

Hi Ej,

Only the Samsung S4's won't pair with the H6B for some reason.  I tried 2 different S4's and neither would pair.  My other 3 Samsung tablets all pair fine with the H6B.... Tab 4, Tab S and Tab A.

I'm sure the remote power function will work ok in flight now that I know what the problem is.  I plan to use my Tab 4 to control the H6B in flight instead of the S4's that didn't pair.  I had been having the same problem with my Hero 5 Session.  It is also working properly using the other Samsung tablets to control the remote power function.  The Samsung S4 pairs ok with my Sony X3000, so I can still use it for that and I'll use the Tab 4 with the GoPro's.   

I am planning a flight to Sedona tomorrow so we'll see how it goes.  I'll have the Sony X3000 on left wingtip and the H6B on the right wingtip.  Between the two cameras I hope to get some good shots of red rock country.

Thanks,

Jim in Tucson

GoPro

Hi @jim8jd,

The S4's android version is no longer supported by GoPro Quik. 

Regards,

-Jay