07-12-2020 04:19 AM
07-15-2020 09:03 AM - edited 07-15-2020 09:07 AM
Hero 8 Black
GoPro App 6.17 (9274)
Galaxy Note 10+
So after 3-4 hours of editing a video (and saving every 10 minutes, making a duplicate every 30 minutes as backup), the app froze, showing that circular loading animation, and I waited for half an hour and it just didn't respond. I closed the app, tried to open the project again (my last saved version) but it didn't work. It either showed that circular loading forever, or showed "can't load project" or something like this. Which is funny, because whatever I did that made it crash, I didn't save it, so it shouldn't affect the previous files, right? The saved files should be ok, because I opened them several times and continued working on them before this happened!
I went back and loaded one of the backups (duplicated I made every 30mins), the same thing happened.
Moved back to load "other" projects (with a completely different set of imported video files), again, nothing loaded.
Tried everything but it seemed like the app had just crashed.
Restarted the app, restarted the phone, no luck.
Uninstall and Re-installed it, the projects were gone!!
It's just a report, I know there's nothing I can do about the lost project, but there are lots of important points here that the software development team can think about or work on:
1. Why would the saved projects get deleted when you uninstall the app? I hope they were saved in a secure location, so that we could make copies, use them in case we needed to reinstall the app, etc. So this is more a feature request: Could you please tweak the app so that it saves the project files in a folder, that could be kept even when uninstalling the app?
2. Why should a problem that is "not saved", make previously saved versions of the project, or even other projects, crash? Seems like an important, deep software bug.
3. I want to take note that even on a high-end phone like Note10+, loadings are a mess! Whatever edit I do (changing sound properties, etc.) I have to wait for several seconds so that the loading animation goes away. It's frustrating when editing a large video (like footage from a long hike, rafting, etc.). Even more advanced video tweaks happen instantly on other video editing apps that I use, the GoPro App doesn't seem efficient in using the system's resources.
4. I think editing clips and making changes very fast and not waiting for the loading screen to go away was what made my project crash. (It still doesn't justify crashing the previously saved files or other projects). But again, seems like the inefficiency of the software to apply and save the changes and edits, is opening the door to other problems as well.
5. another feature request: auto backup maybe? It can be in the form of the App saving the project every couple of minutes, and also a "restore" option for after the app crashes.
Thanks for taking the time to read user feedbacks, I hope your software team would be able to handle these bugs and make editing videos with GoPro App a better experience!
07-16-2020 03:41 AM
I'm real sorry for this bad experience you had.
Why would the saved projects get deleted when you uninstall the app? > uninstalling the app deletes all content, cleans everything out. Otherwise it would still take space on your phone
When the app is crashing we receive the logs so we can fix the crashes.
One thing you can do also -> Right after the app crashes - Open App again, go to Settings / Support / Send Feedback. There you can write a detailed explanation of what happened and it will attach the crash logs to your email.
Bug/crash fixes are made at every update.
I've also raised your concerns and requests to the Team, hoping to get improvements on the recovery process. Sorry about all that.
07-17-2020 02:48 AM
The GoPro APP on Android 10 works well in principle. I still have the following wishes for the future:
- File transfer not only via WLAN, but also via USB connection or from the SD card (with card reader).
- Can specify storage directory for imported files (almost every Android device has an external SD card installed to expand the memory - there is usually much more space available than on the internal memory!)
- When exporting edited videos to the mobile device, please receive all metadata (especially the GPS data) in the video!
- Can specify storage directory for export.
07-24-2020 04:05 PM
Please just take a look at this very annoying bug.
Highlight edits don't save, highlights get misplaced after editing, etc.
Hero 8 Black
GoPro App 6.17 (9274)
Galaxy Note 10+
edit: oh videos can't be attached. I screen-recorded the bug when it happens. how can I send it?
07-24-2020 09:18 PM
Thanks for your reply.
I uploaded it, and here is the link:
Note how the HiLights relocate on their own, don't get deleted, get deleted wrongly, etc.
Please also note the responsiveness of the App on a high-end phone, and how something as little as removing a HiLight gets forever to apply.
I know how software development can be exhausting, and I also know these bugs won't get fixed if we don't report them!