Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Sightseer

GoPro Apps Storage Selection on Android

Dear GoPro Team,

I had a problem with GoPro apps, I'm using Android device. Despite my device storage already full with bunch of apps, I still got plenty of free space from my external SD card. The problem is everytime I want to transfer photos or videos from GoPro Capture App, it says I don't have enough storage space. This problem also appeared on GoPro Quick App everytime I want to save my videos.

I wish GoPro Team or app developer add some features like "default storage", "storage prefered", or "file save location". It would be great app and it would be easier for me to transfer medias and edit those on my phone.

Thank You for your consideration.

Sightseer

Re: GoPro Apps Storage Selection on Android

Agree with the above...

I have 26gb used of my 32gb main phone memory (o/s & apps etc), but have a 64gb SD Card in the phone .. where app data and photo's videos from my gallery are stored.  I can't download video's from my Session5 to edit or share through the app - which makes it worthless, I have to do it all via a laptop :( 

(I haven't merged the phone storage, as this makes it virtually impossible to figure out where your photo's are - I still like to take out the SD card knowing all my data is stored on it)

HELP!!!?

Tourist

Agreed.  My brand new Galaxy Tab S3 has only 32 GB of main storage (It's hard to find a tablet with more than that these days).  However, it can take a 256 MB microSD, which is plenty for a several weekends worth of skydiving videos.

Without the ability to capture video and store it on the SD card, the Capture app is not useful to me.

Please add the ability to set a default storage location for imported videos.

GoPro Community Manager

The video is still stored on your camera's SD card when you're recording. You can use the GoPro Quik Key to move files from that SD card to your phone if you'd like.

Tourist

Hi Jeff,

Perhaps I didn't explain the workflow well enough?  Let me try again:  

1. Mount GoPro in helmet, skydive, record video

2. Turn on Android tablet, open Capture, click "connect to camera"

3. Watch the video I just shot, use Capture to wirelessly import to my tablet 

FIRST PROBLEM:  It will only copy to main storage, not to my microSD card.  If I want to use multiple 2.7k/60fps videos to create a single edited video, I would have to manually copy each imported video to my microSD card.  This assumes that my main storage has room for what could be a multi-gigabyte video file.  I plan to use 4k/30fps in some situations too, which will exacerbate this problem further.

4. Open Quik to make a highlight reel of the days skydives to share at the end of the day

SECOND PROBLEM:  Quik will only output the final edited video to main storage.  Now I have to track it down and copy it to my microSD which is huge so I can save space in main storage which is not huge.

THIRD PROBLEM:  After moving the edited Quik video from main storage /DCIM to my microSD, it no longer appears in Quik's home screen (not the end of the world since I generally use MXPlayer to watch videos, but it does mean that the "duplicate and edit" option in Quik can no longer be used unless I copy the video back to main storage /DCIM.)

5.  Give up and wait until I get home so I can use my PC and GoPro Studio.

FORTH PROBLEM:  The wonderful "on the go" editing features and wireless transfer ability of the GoPro Hero 5 I just bought are unusable, which diminishes the value of the product suite I chose to invest in.

Saying there's a workaround is not false, but also does not really fix the problem.  Android OS has a fully featured Linux-esk file system. Every other Android productivity application allows the user to choose where files are stored.  The newest versions of Android even have a specific permission governing access to microSD storage by an application.  In short, Android is designed to allow apps like Capture and Quik to manage files and file locations, and save to a microSD or other external storage.

What I would like is for GoPro's development team to add this missing feature to both existing, and all future, GoPro applications.  I believe that without this common Android feature, your products suffer multiple usability issues and offer less value than they could to the consumer.  I chose GoPro because it's not just a camera, but a full end-to-end solution, but have come to find the solution isn't complete yet.

I hope you will acknowledge this missing feature and add it to future versions of Capture and Quik.

Thank you considering my feedback,

--Chris.

GoPro Community Manager

@darkdaysdawn - Thanks that helps. Is it possible to move files between the main storage and a microSD using apps or features on your tablet? I'm pretty Capture and Quik do only offer the option to store the content to the phone or tablet's direct memory, so if there's some other way to move the files to the SD, that's likely going to be the solution.

We'll definitely pass along the feedback to the dev teams though.

Thanks,

Jeff

Tourist

Hi Jeff,

Yes, I can absolutely move files around on my tablet.  Android, like I said, has a full Linux-style file system and a file browser is installed by default, and many more (and better) file browsers/managers are available.  It's very normal for Android users to move files around, create and manage directories, etc.  

Of course, this is still not a solution as it would require that I have at least enough free main storage space as the largest video I want to import, an that will not always be the case (read previous posts from other people -- not everyone has enough main storage available, and many tablets only have 16 GB to start with).  Plus, copying very large files is time consuming, so "import video 1, copy video 1, import video 2, copy video 2, etc...." would be a very long and tedious process, hence my request to have your software allow the user to choose a default destination folder other than main storage.

Please do pass this along to the developers.  Thanks.

--Chris

Sightseer

Dear everybody,
Im waiting a solution to the questions. It will improve the usability.