Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Tourist

Re: GoPro Apps Storage Selection on Android

Dear Go Pro support, the possibility to save the files via Go Pro app from camera to Ext SD card of the phone is absolutely needed..
Please fix it Asap...
Hiker

Solution:

Go to Settings > Memory and Storage > Default location and set it to SD Card.

The GoPro App will now download any captured footage to the SD Card.

greetings

Hiker

[ Edited ]

Tourist

I do not know which Android version you run or which Phone you run, but unfortunately on Samsung S7 this option is not available.
Please consider that Android is customised by the producers therefore you'd better fix in Go Pro app rather then relying on the device operating system.
Thanks
Tourist

Yes IIRC Samsung S7 (if not all samsung phones?) prohibits apps from writing to the sd card (part of samsung phone security model), or at least to directories that the apps do not "own".

1) Technically, you can probably try to do the samsung "move whole app to sd card" function, but unfortunately, that option is not available for every kind of third-party app (may not even be available for the gopro app either).

2) Samsung phones, likewise, also probably disable "adaptable storage" (i.e., treating your sd card like an mere expansion of the true "internal storage"), a feature already introduced simply in Android 6.0 OS itself. Probably due to samsung phone security model too (unless you root it / void warranty?).

Well, let's see if any "dev comments" about this ever make it into this thread ; )
Tourist

Forgot to mention -- I meant external *sd card* directories that the apps themselves do not "own"
Hiker

I see. I'm on Huawei. I thought that this was a feature of Android itself.

It is a mystery to me why Samsung would disable something like that.

Are you sure that this feature is not available under a different name or in another menu?

greetings

Tourist

no, this option doesn't really exist in Samsung, but apps, duly authorized, can now write on Ext SD..they changed the crazy setting of some Android version anymore (4.3) that indeed was blocking the apps in ext SD.
Thanks for support and hopefully a developer here can fix the situation on Go Pro app..