Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Anonymous

GoPro Apps Storage Selection on Android

[ New ]

Dear GoPro Team,

I had a problem with GoPro apps, I'm using Android device. Despite my device storage already full with bunch of apps, I still got plenty of free space from my external SD card. The problem is everytime I want to transfer photos or videos from GoPro Capture App, it says I don't have enough storage space. This problem also appeared on GoPro Quick App everytime I want to save my videos.

I wish GoPro Team or app developer add some features like "default storage", "storage prefered", or "file save location". It would be great app and it would be easier for me to transfer medias and edit those on my phone.

Thank You for your consideration.

Anonymous

Re: GoPro Apps Storage Selection on Android

[ New ]

Agree with the above...

I have 26gb used of my 32gb main phone memory (o/s & apps etc), but have a 64gb SD Card in the phone .. where app data and photo's videos from my gallery are stored.  I can't download video's from my Session5 to edit or share through the app - which makes it worthless, I have to do it all via a laptop :( 

(I haven't merged the phone storage, as this makes it virtually impossible to figure out where your photo's are - I still like to take out the SD card knowing all my data is stored on it)

HELP!!!?

Anonymous

[ New ]

Agreed.  My brand new Galaxy Tab S3 has only 32 GB of main storage (It's hard to find a tablet with more than that these days).  However, it can take a 256 MB microSD, which is plenty for a several weekends worth of skydiving videos.

Without the ability to capture video and store it on the SD card, the Capture app is not useful to me.

Please add the ability to set a default storage location for imported videos.

GoPro Community Manager

[ New ]

The video is still stored on your camera's SD card when you're recording. You can use the GoPro Quik Key to move files from that SD card to your phone if you'd like.

Highlighted
Anonymous

[ New ]

Hi Jeff,

Perhaps I didn't explain the workflow well enough?  Let me try again:  

1. Mount GoPro in helmet, skydive, record video

2. Turn on Android tablet, open Capture, click "connect to camera"

3. Watch the video I just shot, use Capture to wirelessly import to my tablet 

FIRST PROBLEM:  It will only copy to main storage, not to my microSD card.  If I want to use multiple 2.7k/60fps videos to create a single edited video, I would have to manually copy each imported video to my microSD card.  This assumes that my main storage has room for what could be a multi-gigabyte video file.  I plan to use 4k/30fps in some situations too, which will exacerbate this problem further.

4. Open Quik to make a highlight reel of the days skydives to share at the end of the day

SECOND PROBLEM:  Quik will only output the final edited video to main storage.  Now I have to track it down and copy it to my microSD which is huge so I can save space in main storage which is not huge.

THIRD PROBLEM:  After moving the edited Quik video from main storage /DCIM to my microSD, it no longer appears in Quik's home screen (not the end of the world since I generally use MXPlayer to watch videos, but it does mean that the "duplicate and edit" option in Quik can no longer be used unless I copy the video back to main storage /DCIM.)

5.  Give up and wait until I get home so I can use my PC and GoPro Studio.

FORTH PROBLEM:  The wonderful "on the go" editing features and wireless transfer ability of the GoPro Hero 5 I just bought are unusable, which diminishes the value of the product suite I chose to invest in.

Saying there's a workaround is not false, but also does not really fix the problem.  Android OS has a fully featured Linux-esk file system. Every other Android productivity application allows the user to choose where files are stored.  The newest versions of Android even have a specific permission governing access to microSD storage by an application.  In short, Android is designed to allow apps like Capture and Quik to manage files and file locations, and save to a microSD or other external storage.

What I would like is for GoPro's development team to add this missing feature to both existing, and all future, GoPro applications.  I believe that without this common Android feature, your products suffer multiple usability issues and offer less value than they could to the consumer.  I chose GoPro because it's not just a camera, but a full end-to-end solution, but have come to find the solution isn't complete yet.

I hope you will acknowledge this missing feature and add it to future versions of Capture and Quik.

Thank you considering my feedback,

--Chris.

GoPro Community Manager

[ New ]

@Anonymous - Thanks that helps. Is it possible to move files between the main storage and a microSD using apps or features on your tablet? I'm pretty Capture and Quik do only offer the option to store the content to the phone or tablet's direct memory, so if there's some other way to move the files to the SD, that's likely going to be the solution.

We'll definitely pass along the feedback to the dev teams though.

Thanks,

Jeff

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hi Jeff,

Yes, I can absolutely move files around on my tablet.  Android, like I said, has a full Linux-style file system and a file browser is installed by default, and many more (and better) file browsers/managers are available.  It's very normal for Android users to move files around, create and manage directories, etc.  

Of course, this is still not a solution as it would require that I have at least enough free main storage space as the largest video I want to import, an that will not always be the case (read previous posts from other people -- not everyone has enough main storage available, and many tablets only have 16 GB to start with).  Plus, copying very large files is time consuming, so "import video 1, copy video 1, import video 2, copy video 2, etc...." would be a very long and tedious process, hence my request to have your software allow the user to choose a default destination folder other than main storage.

Please do pass this along to the developers.  Thanks.

--Chris

Anonymous

[ New ]
Dear everybody,
Im waiting a solution to the questions. It will improve the usability.
Tourist

[ New ]
Dear Go Pro support, the possibility to save the files via Go Pro app from camera to Ext SD card of the phone is absolutely needed..
Please fix it Asap...
Anonymous

[ New ]

Solution:

Go to Settings > Memory and Storage > Default location and set it to SD Card.

The GoPro App will now download any captured footage to the SD Card.

greetings

Anonymous

[ New ]

Tourist

[ New ]
I do not know which Android version you run or which Phone you run, but unfortunately on Samsung S7 this option is not available.
Please consider that Android is customised by the producers therefore you'd better fix in Go Pro app rather then relying on the device operating system.
Thanks
Anonymous

[ New ]
Yes IIRC Samsung S7 (if not all samsung phones?) prohibits apps from writing to the sd card (part of samsung phone security model), or at least to directories that the apps do not "own".

1) Technically, you can probably try to do the samsung "move whole app to sd card" function, but unfortunately, that option is not available for every kind of third-party app (may not even be available for the gopro app either).

2) Samsung phones, likewise, also probably disable "adaptable storage" (i.e., treating your sd card like an mere expansion of the true "internal storage"), a feature already introduced simply in Android 6.0 OS itself. Probably due to samsung phone security model too (unless you root it / void warranty?).

Well, let's see if any "dev comments" about this ever make it into this thread ; )
Anonymous

[ New ]
Forgot to mention -- I meant external *sd card* directories that the apps themselves do not "own"
Anonymous

[ New ]

I see. I'm on Huawei. I thought that this was a feature of Android itself.

It is a mystery to me why Samsung would disable something like that.

Are you sure that this feature is not available under a different name or in another menu?

greetings

Tourist

[ New ]
no, this option doesn't really exist in Samsung, but apps, duly authorized, can now write on Ext SD..they changed the crazy setting of some Android version anymore (4.3) that indeed was blocking the apps in ext SD.
Thanks for support and hopefully a developer here can fix the situation on Go Pro app..
Anonymous

[ New ]
Come on gopro, there defiantly needs a option for downloaded video and pictures to go to the SD card of my Galaxy S7 .
I bought the hero 5 yesterday and it is virtually useless unless I delete apps from my phones memory.
I have a 128GB SD card that has more than enough space for the video from the gopro.
Anonymous

[ New ]
Tourist

[ New ]

This question is somehwhat related to this topic as its about moving completed projects temporarily off the tablet to make space for new projects. If I then want to make changes again and move the mp4 file back into the Quik interal storage location, will the option to duplicate and edit appear once again? 

How does it even remember your edit options once its converted into an mp4 anyway? Where are these settings stored as I'm guessing its not within the mp4 itself?

Anonymous

[ New ]
I'm having the same problem. It needs to be so that the videos get saved straight to the sd card so it does not go in the internal storage.
Gopro app>SD Card...
Not.
Gopro app>internal storage>SD Card
Anonymous

[ New ]
I'm using CAT S60 and also no option to change main storage for GoPro App, totally useless aplication at this moment. GoPro please fix this.
Anonymous

[ New ]
Sony xperia z5, the same problem, please add the option to download videos directly to SD card, it is real pain to copy to internal memory and then to SD and again and again to get it all there
Tourist

[ New ]
Same here, gopro app should definitely offer to save to SD, don't know how dev miss this when the app is supposed to deal with Gb of data
Anonymous

[ New ]
GoPro I love your stuff and the way you are going with designing software to accompany the cameras is awesome but you need to slow down for a second and make some very small yet effective updates to your current software before adding anything else.

I am experiencing all of the above issues which is the reason I bought your gear. I'm currently still using my laptop and premier pro until you can address the previous mentioned
Anonymous

[ New ]
I have the same phone and the same issue.

The other issue I have is once the videos are moved into my phone's SD card they are no longer seen by the GoPro App so it's basically useless for editing
Anonymous

[ New ]
Tested and working on Huawei p9, the settings referenced are the phone settings and not the settings in the app

Interestingly once I did this the app recognised both videos on the internal memory (internal/DCIM/com.gopro.smarty/GoPro) and those on the sd card (SDCard/DCIM/com.gopro.smarty/GoPro) and showed both in media
Anonymous

[ New ]

Post was in reply to;

royalbluff4772 royalbluff4772 Hiker
Aug 9
Solution:

Go to Settings > Memory and Storage > Default location and set it to SD Card.

The GoPro App will now download any captured footage to the SD Card.

greetings
Anonymous

[ New ]
Unfortunately this does mean switching all app storage to the sd, which in my case (and I'm guessing most) is exactly what I want to do ( phone has 32Gb which after formatting is 25.1 SD has 128Gb which comes out at 119.1 ) This should solve the issue for most on android if the option exists, certainly on Huawei P9 (EVA-L09, EMUI 5.0, Android 7.0)
Anonymous

[ New ]

Same issue here, I have Samsung S7 and cannot get all videos onto my 32GB internal memory while I have 256GB SD card.

GoPro, please help to fix this issue

Anonymous

[ New ]

I explained this shortcoming to the Gopro support team after I got my Hero 5 and they said that they would pass this on to the programmers, but it doesn't seem to have made any difference.  It would be a great feature to default to the SD card. Most phones or tables don't have enough free internal memory to transfer multiple files. Maybe only one file at a time and then you have to transfer it to the SD card and then delete it from internal and then repeat the process. Major slow down!

Anonymous

[ New ]
Hi goPro support. Please raise a feature request to GoPro App on Android development team. Add option in settings to choose storage location (onboard phone storage or SDCard). Currently the app uses onboard phone storage (usually quite full) and doesn't make use of SD storage. This limits downloading, editing, sharing when traveling with an android phone/tablet. Other android apps detect SD and allow save to SD card eg Spotify.
GoPro Community Manager

[ New ]

Thanks for the suggestion. We have given that feedback to the team, and we'll continue to do that.

Jeff

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hi Jeff,

So I found a reasonable enough workaround for grabbing clips from your GoPro to your phone which is to download clips of 5/10/15 seconds which means I can just grab the highlights I want

But then just when I think I've got this sorted alas I hit another wall. If I want to download old clips from my premium cloud membership I can grab 5/10/15 second clips I have to download the whole video which again leaves me frustrated and short of memory.

2 options here are....

1. Get the guys to sort this out

2. Hire me and I'll sort it out

Tourist

[ New ]

I've just started using GoPro6, £500. A lot of money. Camera is great, but in my limited experience, I cant download to my phone because the app wont allow download to SD card, and the desktop app only allows 60 second videos. What a load of crap. Waste of time and money.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Firstly you should have spent the extra on the fusion 360 as it's only a bit more and GoPro seem to be pooling all their resources into that.

But here's a workaround for you. Don't download all the videos as I'm sure they'll be huge just download the clips you want in bits of 5/10/30 seconds snippets. You can do this while linked to your GoPro and selecting the trim option this will allow you to grab a small bit of the clips such as the highlights and then instead of working with big 10 minute clips, you're working with the best bits in much smaller snippets.

Hope this helps

Anonymous

[ New ]
That was a lame response! Firstly, I am a scuba diver and the Fusion doesn't have all the accesories that I require. Secondly, the problem that we are all experiencing appears to be with the app and not the camera. Other apps have the option to save to the sd card. Why can't Gopro? I shouldn't have to do a work around!
Anonymous

[ New ]

Well, I don't work for GoPro nor did I know you were a scuba diver so calling my response lame when I take the time to give a stranger a helping hand is just a **bleep** move but hey not everyone on the internet has manners! Oh and welcome to the GoPro community! #Not!

@Anonymous wrote:
That was a lame response! Firstly, I am a scuba diver and the Fusion doesn't have all the accesories that I require. Secondly, the problem that we are all experiencing appears to be with the app and not the camera. Other apps have the option to save to the sd card. Why can't Gopro? I shouldn't have to do a work around!

Anonymous

[ New ]
My apologies! I thought you were with Gopro! I'm just frustrated. Thanks for taking time to help.
Tourist

[ New ]

All of the same problems as above here.. Bought TWO Hero6's as well as a Karma (all total over 2k) and I love the cameras as well as the Karma, the software is great. But surely we need the option to save pics n vids to the SD card. Especialy when using "Quik". Using the internal storage for HIGH use items like this is just plain silly.!! Smiley Frustrated

Please have the devs fix this issue as I am SURE I am not alone in the delima.!

Please Fix This.!!

Anonymous

[ New ]

A must feature! Looking forward to having it implemented.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Please I need to save my data in the external memory of my android phone I hope you guys can fix it quick. Thanks!!

Tourist

[ New ]

Bump.!

Anonymous

[ New ]
Just wondering..... Is Gopro support even looking into updating the app so we can save to the sd card on our devices. I haven't seen any responses from Gopro. It would be nice to know if they are even looking into it. Does anyone know if they monitor this site or is this just users trying to help each other.
Anonymous

[ New ]
My guess is "no". I joined the conversation last June. The thread started in May. Jeff from Gopro has offered the same, but flawed, workaround many times but there is still no evidence that the development team is working on this shortcoming.

GoPro, please listen! Your Android apps lack a fundamental feature that Android users expect, one which is supported by most other applications that deal with files of any size, not just large media files.

iOS devices don't typically have multiple storage volumes on a single device; Android does and many Android users choose Android because we can use memory cards to expand the storage capacity of our devices. Android is the most popular device OS in the world - please take advantage of Android's file and storage management features. They make Android an excellent platform for on-location video editing but only if the applications are written with these advantages in mind.

Thanks.
Anonymous

[ New ]
Come on GoPro... Enough is enough.. I've gone all in, new shiny GoPro Hero 6, plus all the accessories from you including a usb-c Quik that doesn't work with android (only sees photos) and the inability to select storage location for syncing videos in to Quik is atrocious. I have a Samsung Note 8 which until it's replaced is probably one of the most powerful devices on the market, more than capable of editing movies on the go. It has a 256GB microSD ideal for storing media, yet functionally crippled due to your devotion to iOS and lack of relevant advanced features not possible on iOS. Please can you sort it out and please sort both your App, the Quikkey drivers and also... Fix the battery life issue on the Hero 6 still present with firmware 2.01.
Tourist

[ New ]

I agree, I'm going to stick mine on eBay and cut my losses. Great bit of kit IF you could actually use it. Its almost what you would call "unfit for purpose"

Anonymous

[ New ]
The camera part is good, but for the time being I need to use my Surface as the main editing device... Shame, and good luck on eBay.
Anonymous

[ New ]
@Anonymous doesn't look like it mate, feels like this is just a forum for users as GoPro folks stay quite... Pretty usual I find for manufacturers with these things so far, sill venting helps 😎
Tourist

[ New ]

Apart from the storage issue on Android, you only seem to be able to make a one minute video on the Quik app on laptop etc, so have also given up on that, and gone to Shotcut. I wish I had known about all this before I spent £600 odd. No wonder GoPro seem to be going t!ts up. Maybe they got found out.  https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/08/cnbc-gopro-is-putting-itself-up-for-sale

Anonymous

[ New ]
It's a shame! The camera is great, but their customer service sucks. They don't seem to care about making the customer happy with what seems to be an easy fix to the app. I've called customer support before and they seem clueless.