Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Tourist

GoPro App not compatible with my device

[ New ]

I purchased a GoPro Hero 7 Black about a month ago. I had the app installed on my Motorola Moto G6 Play, with Android 9 and used it for one day. I went to use the camera again yesterday and it abosolutely would NOT connect with my phone. I removed the camera from the bluetooth devices on the phone and tried again, still no luck.

I uninstalled the app and was going to reinstall it and now it say's, it's not compatible with my device! Yet when I search on line, it's supposed to be compatible with Android 6 or higher! This camera is absolutely useless to me without the app. I use it on my motorcycle and want to be able to stop and start it from my phone, which I have on a Ram X-Mount on my motorcycle.

Why in the world would an app NOT work with a version of Android that is far more current than what the app requires? And, what changed in just a couple weeks!?

Nomad

Re: GoPro App not compatible with my device

[ New ]

There was an updated to the App around November 1st and sice that the app will not connect to my cameras.

I have a Samsung S8.

The new edition of the GoPro app is completely toast.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @fleetsummi21116,

Sorry to know that.

Please try this. 

Close Google Play Store 

Go to Settings > Application Settings. 

Look for Google Play and clear the cache.

Open play store and open it again. 

If issue persist please contact GoPro Customer Support via phone or chat. 

Regards,

-Jay 

Tourist

[ New ]

Greetings, 

I tried it. Same results. It still thinks my Android version is less than 6. I'll try chat or phone. Thanks!

Brian

GoPro

[ New ]

Sorry about that @fleetsummi21116 @agilestoke40735

Compatibility info can be found here: https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/GoPro-Mobile-Apps-Compatibility  it requires Android 7 or higher (tablets are not supported)

Tourist

[ New ]

I worked with support and they reached the conclusion that the issue is with the Play Store not detecting my version correctly. I've uninstalled updates for the Play Store, Play Services, rebooted, etc. It still say's it's not compatible with my version.

I'm using a 3rd party app that seems to work. It's called Camera Suite. 

Sightseer

[ New ]

I'm having this problem, too. Got a new GoPro for xmas and can't download the app to my phone. GIANT disappointment.

Tourist

[ New ]

Sorry, I never found a solution. GoPro blames it on Android/PlayStore. I tried every suggestion regarding my phone...clearing the cache, etc. Nothing worked. Oddly enough, my tablet says, "this app is not compatible with your device", yet I installed it on my tablet. I ended up using a 3rd party app...Camera Suite. It's not perfect but at least I can see what's happening on my camera when I'm on my motor cycle. 

GoPro

[ New ]

@fleetsummi21116 @lithecave043 @agilestoke40735 

Sorry about that, searching on the web I could find this: https://support.getupside.com/hc/en-us/articles/226667067--Device-not-compatible-error-message-in-Go...

apparently it's a problem that has been affecting a lot of other apps.

To fix the “your device is not compatible with this version” error message, try clearing the Google Play Store cache, and then data. Next, restart the Google Play Store and try installing the app again. 

Pull down the notification bar on your Android device and hit the gear-shaped settings icon, or find “settings” in the application tray. From here navigate to Apps, or App Manager. Then scroll down and find Google Play Store. Select this, and tap Clear Cache or Data

This should erase everything, and get rid of any corrupt files that seem to be causing this problem. Instagram and Supercell, maker of Clash of Clans, have heard from multiple users that this works.

Does that help??

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi I tried the clear cache and reinstall as advised but I still have the same problem. I have a Android 7 phone.

I can download Quik but not the GoPro app. I have no idea how to sync or get into the settings in Quick, it doesnt seem those options are there are they in the app I cannot download?

I's my brand new expensive camara useless without this app?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @kennyb31142. Thank you for going through the recommended steps. You should still be able to use your camera even without the app. The primary purpose of the application is to easily import footage from your camera to your phone and share them. Without the app, you can still use the camera to capture photos and videos. You can still share your media by saving them on other devices manually. 

It is odd though that you are not able to install the GoPro App on your device as it meets the compatibility requirement. We will pass along this to the team and will let you know of further instructions once we hear back from them. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi,

Since I couldn't use the app, I followed the online procedure to update to the latest software version by manually uploading the update file to the memory card - However since then the GoPro is not working properly. Straight after I updated it was acting funny, not switching off for example and freezing the screen. I left it overnight and that issue seems to have gone away however I made a series of videos this morning all of which are corrupt - I tried to upload to 3 different video editors all resulted in error messages. I did a factory reset on the gopro and reformatted the memory card but the problem persists. I can view the videos in the GoPro. The memory card is  sandisk extreme 128GB MicroSD.

Everything was working prior to the update being carried out, ie these video programmes accepted the files no problem.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @kennyb31142

Please re-flash the software. This corrects any errors that may have been encountered with the previous installation of the update.

https://gopro.com/en/us/update

If it's still the same, please reach out to our Support Team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Let them know of the troubleshooting steps taken.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

By Reflash do you mean, do another manual update? Or is it a different process?

GoPro

[ New ]

Yes @kennyb31142

Just try to update your camera manually if you already did that and issue persist, please contact GoPro customer support: https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

-Jay

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @fleetsummi21116, @lithecave043, @agilestoke40735, and @kennyb31142. Sorry to hear that you are having issues using the GoPro App. Our team is looking into the issue of your device being tagged as not compatible with the app. We'd like to gather details to help us isolate the issue. I am reading from your previous posts that you have provided device details already. We'd appreciate it if you can reply with the following: 

Device/Phone model, OS version, Location.

We hope to hear back from you. Many thanks!

Tourist

[ New ]
My device is a Moto G6 Play, Android version 9, (PPP29.118-68).
I Am in Arizona USA. I have cleared the data and cache and have Uninstaller Google Play Store and reinstalled it, with no change.
Screenshot_20200113-183621.png
Tourist

[ New ]

Samsung J5 (2016) SM-J510FN

Android 7.1.1

Edinburgh, UK

Samsung experience version 8.5

Sightseer

[ New ]

same situation

huawei P9 lite mini, android 7, Riga, Latvia

Tourist

[ New ]

Se você se certificou que o seu dispositivo tem a versão correta necessária, por ex. Android 7 ou superior e, a Play Store continua dizendo que o seu device é incompatível, existe uma solução bem simples. Em seu celular, vá em: Configurações/Segurança/Fontes desconhecidas e, habilite isto provisoriamente. Em outro celular que já tem o App instalado, instale o APK Exctrator, vá em: Configurações/Aplicativos, encontre o GoPro APP e o compartilhe por Zap ou email da pessoa que está precisando dele e, que, tem o sistema operacional necessário para este APP. Depois é só rodar o APP no outro celular. Não esqueça de desabilitar em Segurança/Fontes desconhecidas.

Tourist

[ New ]

I don't have access to a second phone with the app pre-installed so can't check if this workaround works.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi Kenny,
I even managed to pass the APP from another cell phone to mine, but to no avail. The GoPro APP does not work on my Moto G4 Play. I gave up for now and did manual configuration on Hero 7 Black.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi.

Same problem.

Samsung J4+ / SM-J415FN

Android version 9

Estonia

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @karino40406,

I think it's due to hardware incompatibility. 

Try to contact GoPro customer support to get more information. 

https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

-Jay

GoPro

[ New ]

@fleetsummi21116 @karino40406 @mauroguerreiro @kennyb31142 

Sorry for the trouble and thank you for your patience. The Team has investigated the issue. We’re working to resolve the problem and should have a fix in market as soon as possible.

Tourist

[ New ]
Yo también tengo el midmo problema. He seguido los pasos que se indican en los menssjes anteriores y no puedo instalar la app gopro. Mi smartphone es Samsung J5 (2016), Android 7.1.1
Tourist

[ New ]

I contacted the GoPro support area by phone this Wednesday (5). After the attendant found that my version of Android should accept the GoPro APP, she explained that not all devices in the world should support the APP, as there are several Android developers. I noticed that there are several devices reported with this same problem in the GoPro community. She suggested that I look for a device that supports the APP and change the device. I asked her if it would be more comfortable for me to forget about GoPro. After a brief silence, she said she would report the problem to the development of the factory. Let us wait.

Tourist

[ New ]

same phone model as mine - same issue with me

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @kennyb31142 

The issue here is that it's not only the Android version that is taken into account but also some software requirement of the phone (Open GL) however this is not exposed for now.

We will be adapting this to make sure more users can download our app.

Tourist

[ New ]

Same issue.

My android should be compatible - according to GoPro listing, but it isn't.

I've checked with my friends - it's the same.

Does the IT team have any deadline given by the superiors to solve this?

And, BTW - don't push us to buy/install Win 10 (x64) in order to run your full editing soft.

Discharging Win 7 is a marketing fatal error - will bring you only disgrace.

GoPro

[ New ]

@kinru @fleetsummi21116 @kennyb31142 @mauroguerreiro @carmelop58724 

Sorry for the frustration.

The thing is that it's not only the Android version that is important for the App to work but also the OpenGL version (graphical framework provided by the OS). Our Team is working on this as we speak, I have no information as the update version that will have the change for now though, I can't commit to a date.

Sightseer

[ New ]
I have Huawei P9 Lite - Android 7. Oldest version works, but new I cant instal. I see that problem is for 4 month and company do nothing.
Tourist

[ New ]
La aplicación gopro no es compatible con mi celular. Es un Motorola E5 plus, con Android 8. Por favor solicito ayuda con este tema.
Tourist

[ New ]
Tengo el mismo problema. Mi celular es Motorola E5 plus, con Android 8. Por favor. Solicito ayuda.
GoPro

[ New ]

@niceriver13724 @fleetsummi21116 @1zloty @kinru @kennyb31142 

A fix should be coming in 6.10 which will be live very soon. Sorry for your trouble.

Tourist

[ New ]

Great news!

Tourist

[ New ]

HI,

I too have the same issue with the software not installing and the not compatible with device error.  I'm on Android 8.1 on as ASUS Zenfone - Model: ASUS_X00RD.  Followed all of the recommended options like clearing the store cache and still the same error.  The Camera is on the latest firmware which I updated yesterday to HERO8 Black v1.60 | January 23, 2020.

I have used the GoPro 8 camera and recorder videos manually but I would really like to have the promised smartphone compatibility and full camera control from it.  My wife also has the same issue on a Samsung Galaxy J3 with either Android 5.1 or now v7 installed.

James.

GoProScreenCapture.JPG
GoPro

[ New ]

@smithy002 @fleetsummi21116 @niceriver13724 @1zloty @kinru @agilestoke40735 @lithecave043 @kennyb31142 @mauroguerreiro 

Hi,

Could you please the GoPro App page again, update 6.10 which is now live and you should now be able to download it.

Let us know :)

Thank you!

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi,

I could now download the app and install it on my ZenPhone.  I've tested it and it works as expected.  However, the same download on the Samsung Galaxy J3 can't be found in the Play store and if I try directly from the gopro website it is flagged as incompatible and won't install when the OS level is compatible.

Let me know if there is anything else I need to do to download.

James.

Tourist

[ New ]

I should also poin out that the Samsung J3 has Android 6.01 which is apparently as high as it goes for this phone model, so the new editor v6.1 is incompatible as it requires v7 android as a minimum.  Is there an alternative install for v6 of Android OS?

GoPro

[ New ]
Yes the app requires at least Android 7 to be installed.
Tourist

[ New ]

OK

I managed to download the APP on my Moto G4 Play and connect it to the camera Hero7 Black.

Thank you very much.
Tourist

[ New ]

I am now able to install the app on my Moto G6 Play. Thank you for the update!

Tourist

[ New ]

I can install the app on my LG K30 but it will not find the Hero 7 to connect. Says "You don't have any cameras connected"

GoPro

[ New ]

@darrynsami, there are some troubleshooting suggestions here -- https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/Troubleshooting-GoPro-App-Connectivity-Issues/ta-p/392964 that will help resolve the problem. Let us know how it goes.