Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

GoPro App incompatible Motorola E4 Plus and G6 Play?

[ Edited ]

Unable to install GoPro app on Motorola G6 Play running Android 9.0 (system updated today so definitely up to date)

Have previously installed and successfully connected to my GoPro Session using GoPro Android app.

Today, GoPro app would not connect to Go Pro camera.  App said my password had changed.  It hasn't, never needed before.  But to humor it, I decided to reset camera and update both camera firmware AND GoPro app.  Camera firmware updated just fine (after I entered Serial Number into website and downloaded the appropriate firmware).  

Note that all of this happened before any change on my part, however the REAL problem began when I uninstalled GoPro app from my phone and attempted to reinstall it.   Uninstall went smooth (drag and drop to trash) But when I went to the Google Play Store (on web), it showed it installed.  Ok, I suppose it really hasn't synced yet to realize I've uninstalled.   I waited, refreshed.   Still says "installed" but it now also says "no compatible devices" and my G6 phone was greyed out.

Contacted GoPro tech support.  They said minimum Android 7 is needed.  I have 9 so that seems fine.   No reports of other issues so could I please try another phone.  I remembered my spouse has a different version (7.1.1) so we tried that.  Never installed GoPro app on that phone.    Found the app on the Google Play store (web) and it said "no compatible devices" also.

At this point I should mention that NEITHER the Android 7.1.1 phone nor the 9.0 shows the GoPro app in the Google Play store phone app (only on the web), so putting two and two together I must assume (always dangerous) that something really is incompatible between Motorola and GoPro.  Why might this be?  Never run into this problem with any other app, including other WiFi or BlueTooth connected peripherals (I understand GoPro app uses both).

My issue has been escalated to developers (thank you Francis) but I have found community crowd sourcing to sometimes be even better, so any ideas or similar experiences?  

I might add:  It really sucks when app developers make apps that are specific to only certain phone brands, so if that is the case, I'm out of here.   I chose Motorola because they have a policy of keeping their main phones largely up to date system OS wise, as shown by the fact that this 1.5 year old phone has Android 9.0 installed.   

I've attached a screen shot of the Google Play store message

GooglePlay_GoPro_App_paradox.png

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: GoPro App incompatible Motorola E4 Plus and G6 Play?

All Replies
Highlighted
Tourist

PS:  I suspect (based only on a hunch and a bunch of googling) this may have to do with the fact that my phone is 32Bit and Google is moving apps to 64 bit.    Could that be a possible cause?   Does anyone know if the GoPro app is definitely 64 AND 32 Bit compatible, or only 64 bit?

Highlighted
Tourist

Highlighted
Tourist

Snapdragon820以上が推奨です。

HEVC

Highlighted
Tourist

@osamun21 wrote:

Snapdragon820以上が推奨です。

HEVC

I understand it is 'recommended' but not 'required' - especially for simply installing the app??

GoPro developers have seriously limited their audience if so.  Will sell my GoPro cheap if this is truly the answer
* NOTE:  I previously installed and used GoPro successfully months ago.  Why change?

Highlighted
Tourist

@olivessssssss wrote:

hello,

installe Aptoide :

regarde ma solution :

https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Apps-for-Mobile/Je-ne-parviens-pas-%C3%A0-installer-l-applicati...

Merci!   

RE:  Aptoide

Thank you for this clue!   I could not completely read the GoPro Support Hub translation however ("update Nickel control?" What is Nickel Control).  Wish I could see your message in original french perhaps even though my French is bad.

And, with all due respect, I am reluctant to install apps from unknown sources (I have never heard of Aptoide previously).   Why does Google think GoPro app is incompatible?  Or why is GoPro app actually incompatible?   

I am beginning to suspect an issue that GoPro developers forgot to compile apk for 32-bit OS.  Not a problem with most up to date cameras. Apparently it is an issue for Motorola E4 and G6 Play Chinese garbage even running Android 9.0 and 7.1.1

Highlighted
Tourist

@olivessssssss wrote:

hello,

installe Aptoide :

regarde ma solution :

https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Apps-for-Mobile/Je-ne-parviens-pas-%C3%A0-installer-l-applicati...

Merci beaucoup. Aptoide semble avoir résolu mon problème. Je peux maintenant installer GoPro 5.2 et me connecter à ma session Hero et voir une vidéo. Voyons comment transférer des fichiers sur un téléphone prochainement.

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

I will add that I have called GoPro again this morning.  Got the same polite (but clueless) response.  They don't seem to know what the problem is.  I don't either, but someone broke something in the latest update to GoPro.   

It IS the GoPro app.   Most definitely.   Sure, something may have updated in Android that they weren't ready for, but that's part of the cost of doing app development.  GoPro's response is still in progress and I may update this later, especially if anything from the escalated support comes out, but apparently there is a hard division between tech support and developers and the Right hand doesn't know what the Left hand is doing, and I'm not convinced (yet) that they care.

Meanwhile, I'm pleased to have been able to install GoPro via Aptoid. Possibly an older version.  Hopefully that side route won't close or get corrupted by updates.  So grateful to the poster of that solution!

PS I noticed that Aptoid lists a number of older versions of GoPro as well, so if anything does go wrong with updates presumably I can backgrade.   What a concept?  A usable GoPro camera that hasn't been deactivated by the GoPro 'developers'.