Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Find a solution. Share a solution. Ask a question. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Hiker

GoPro App and Samsung Gallery - Deleted Videos

While using a combination of the GoPro app on Android and Samsung Gallery in a very specific way, videos are lost. Not just misplaced, but wiped from the phone entirely.

It may only affect a small number of users but it has affected me in a big way. I've lost over 4 hours of scuba diving footage (making up 90% of the total) on a holiday due to this and I'm disappointed to say the least. Anyhow, at the time I couldn't for the life for me figure out why, but I've done a fair bit of testing since and narrowed down the conditions with which to regularly replicate the problem.

1. Connect phone to GoPro via wifi

2. Transfer a video to the phone

3. Launch Samsung Gallery. Notice the transferred video appears and is in an album called 'GoPro'. The location on the device is internal storage/DCIM/com.gopro.smarty/GoPro

4. Using Samsung Gallery, move the video to a new album. Doing so will create a new folder in the internal storage/DCIM/ location.

All is well at this point. The video is still viewable in the Gallery app, Google Photos, in any file managers or via a PC. It's there and it's fine.

5. Open the GoPro app and go to the Media section. Tap the Local tab.

This is the moment when the video in the newly created folder is deleted. The space created by the deletion is even reflected in the storage availability on the phone, space has been freed.

I have tested this with a GoPro HERO 5 and 6, and a Samsung S7 Edge and S9+ with the same outcome.

Thoughts?

Hiker

Re: GoPro App and Samsung Gallery - Deleted Videos

Hello??
GoPro

Hi @bolddive18444

Thank you for testing it out with different cameras and phones.

I am using an Android phone myself and have not encountered this issue.

If I view my files via the GoPro App, the folders are kept on my Gallery.

Let's see if we can isolate the issue further.

What is the version of the GoPro app installed on your phones?

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app? And pairing the camera to the phone again?

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

Thanks for replying.

I believe the issue is specific to Samsung phones and the use of the Samsung Gallery app (found here and is preinstalled on Samsung devices https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sec.android.gallery3d&hl=en_AU). However, the trigger is the GoPro app in the deletion.

Can I ask if you are using a Samsung device and Samsung Gallery?

I am showing the issue in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG2cWlNjku4

- GoPro app version is 4.6.1 (7437)

- I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, factory reset... Pairing/unpairing the camera, I have tried many combinations.

Anyhow check my video and see how it happens, let me know what you think.

Uploaded by friggincanvee on 2018-08-27.
Adventurer

What happens if you completely close the GoPro app Prior to moving the image file to your new folder?

Hiker

It still happens with nothing open but the Gallery app.

GoPro

Hello @bolddive18444

The Local tab in the GoPro App only shows those videos that are saved in the GoPro app import folder, that is the one located here: internal storage/DCIM/com.gopro.smarty/GoPro

Moving the video (or any other file) out of the import folder location removes the file from the Local folder. Moving the file (video or photo) back to the GoPro folder will make it accessible via Local tab again. Let us know if this is not the case though. 

Best regards, 
Marius

Hiker

Hi Marius, I'm aware how the local tab and smarty folder should operate.
I think you need to watch my video and follow my steps to see that items moved out of the smarty folder are deleted by the GoPro app.

"... This is the moment when the video in the *newly created folder* is deleted.".