Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Tourist

Re: GoPro 9 & Android 10 - can't connect to GoPro App

[ New ]

Just updated my Go Pro Hero 9 Black firmware to latest v1.50. Cloud upload no longer works. Live streaming option is gone. Although I can connect from my Samsung Galaxy S10+ to Camera over WiFi to download the vides from camera to my phone, it is frustrating to see persistent connectivity issues. I tried both 2.4GHz and 5GHz.. And this is NOT my network. I have maybe 100 different devices successfully using both. I use Media Mod if that matters. App version 7.3.1.

When I click on "Set Up Auto Upload", despite the fact that my camera is set to "Wi-Fi Band - 5GHz". And my Android phone is obviously connected to 5GHz WiFi network - I only get the list of 2.4 GHz networks in the GoPro app.. If I manually connect to camera WiFi (which I assume is 5GHz?), I still see the list of only 2.4GHz networks. How do get my auto-upload working? It worked before the update. I do not know, unfortunately, what version of camera firmware I had before the update.

Tourist

[ New ]
In order to get it connected, I had to connect to 2.4GHz WiFi first. Then after that, it started seeing the 5GHz network. Then connected to it, but refused uploading anything, saying like "Connect your device to charger".. Well, it was already on charger. Then I had to delete the network connection from camera, re-add it again, and only then the cloud connection worked after triggering manual upload from the menu. Why does it have to be so complicated to get constantly add, delete, re-add the network to get it into working state? While it is uploading, I am not sure if it's gonna actually do the job as promised, or if it's gonna disconnect and fail the upload. :(

Is there an ETA when these issues are gonna be resolved? Cause right now, the way it stands, I would not recommend it to a friend.
GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for the details that you provided, @smoothietea. We will pass this along to the team and post back once we have new information. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Least we can confirm that it's not our camera but the app that's causing all the issues recently. 

Tourist

[ New ]
I don't have these settings on my LG either. Did you find a solution?
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @superdawn428. Which settings were you looking for? What seems to be the issue with the app and the camera? 

Hiker

[ New ]

I didn't. I'm still using the workaround with connecting to the camera's wifi manually everytime I want to use the GoPro app.

Tourist

[ New ]

I am experiencing similar issues with a GoPro 6 Black (new to me) and Android 10 on a OnePlus 7t. It works fine on an old OnePlus 3t running Android 9.

I have tried the MAC fix mentioned early in this thread, but phone will only stay connected for a few seconds, then drops out and reconnects to my home network.

Camera v 02.10

App version 7.3.2 (10024)

Tried 2.4 and 5 wifi frequecies

Please help me solve this issue.

GoPro

[ New ]

@usbrit, please try to pair to the camera from the mobile device's Wi-Fi manager first, then connect to the camera's Wi-Fi in the GoPro App. Additionally, some phones and regions require the camera to be in a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi band, you may also try this out.

Tourist

[ New ]

@aenriquez wrote:

@usbrit, please try to pair to the camera from the mobile device's Wi-Fi manager first, then connect to the camera's Wi-Fi in the GoPro App. Additionally, some phones and regions require the camera to be in a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi band, you may also try this out.

Have tried all the steps in the 8 page thread including those you mention. No luck. Connection onlu lasts abot 5-10 seconds then drops.

No problems on the old phone.

Sightseer

[ New ]

I want my money backj.... this is my first go pro and its annoying. 350 dollars and the stupid thing wont even connect to my phone. Why do i have to restartt and update and do all this **bleep** ? Velcro and my note10 would have neen a better option....... any1 wanna buy a slightly used 9 black?

Tourist

[ New ]

I am running into similar issues as everyone else here. Specifics: Samsung Galaxy s20+ on Android 11, One UI version 3.0. It takes multiple times to turn off and on both bluetooth and wifi before I can get the app to control the GoPro Hero 9 Black. The app "sees" the camera when launched. It hangs up when you click "control" the camera. The most frustrating part about this is that it works perfectly with an iPhone 12 and an iPhone 6+. Is there any update on this bug and steps that are being taken to correct this? I need the control as I live stream sporting events and family members in other states and countries are relying on this to be able to watch kids/grandkids.

Tourist

[ New ]

The fix only works once.. and not even enough for the camera to update firmware..     Galaxy S21 Ultra.. unable to control via phone.  (Also pretending to record videos but not, also turning off while recording on its own).

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @ccarnesi and @mtnxfreeride. Are you already using version 8.1 of the Quik App? If not yet, make sure to update to this latest version. Try manually connecting to the camera's Wi-Fi network from your phone’s Wi-Fi settings. You can find the password by putting the camera in pairing mode, then hitting the Info button on the camera. If applicable, change the Wi-Fi Band on your camera to 2.4GHz.

See if this allows you to do a camera update. If not, recommend doing a manual update on the camera. Open the following link on a computer web browser, select the correct camera model and run through the manual update on your camera - https://gopro.com/update . Once it's fully updated, you should be able to connect to the Quik app and use it as normal.

Tourist

[ New ]

**Fixed**

I updated to the new Quik app and now everything works.

So the old standard answer of "it's not the app it's Android" was a lie. Smiley Mad

Still now working, so happy.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Hola @haindash , el teléfono se conecta a la cámara, el problema es que no carga ninguna de las 2 funciones, no el ''controla tu cámara'' ni el ''ver contenido'' se quieda cargando y nunca abre.

GoPro

[ New ]
@daringbeac5173

For connection issues, it’s best to reset everything because it could be a problem with the phone itself, the app, or the camera. 

Firstly the phone:
- Restart the phone
- After phone is back on turn off/on wifi and bluetooth 
- Remove any GoPro connection from the wifi settings menu
- Remove/unpair any GoPro connection from the bluetooth menu

Secondly the app:
- Delete the camera from the camera chooser inside the app (long press on camera image)
- Clear cache from the app: go to settings - apps - GoPro - clear cache
- Kill the app and relaunch

- Make sure you are running the latest app version

Lastly the camera:
- Pull battery out and back in

- Make sure you are running the latest camera Firmware
- Turn wifi off and on
- Turn camera off and on

Now for pairing the camera to the app:
- Put camera in pairing mode, turn wifi connection on or wireless connections on
- Open app and tap the camera icon
- At this point the app will try to connect over bluetooth and take you through the pairing process, follow all the instructions on screen in app
- Some phones and some regions require that the camera be in a 2.4GHz wifi band so you may want to check that as well. This has to be changed on the camera > Preferences / Connections / Bandwidth
- Once you are paired just make sure for future reconnections that the wifi is on in the camera and you’ll be all set

Also, try manually connecting to the camera's WiFi network.  Send the app to the background and manually connect to the camera from your phone’s WiFi settings. You can find the password by putting the camera in pairing mode, then hitting the Info button on the camera.
Explorer

[ New ]
Glad it's working for you, but just because it is now doesn't mean, "it's not the app it's Android" was a lie".

There are so many different Android devices and custom skins on Android devices, having it now work on your device more likely means developers figured out how to make it work on YOUR mobile device.

It's worked fine for me all along, so if it was not an individual Android issue and was instead the app all along, why did it work for me when it wasn't working for you? With literally 10+ millions of downloads and users, why are there relatively few post on issues (even with 1,000 to 10,000 complaints, which there isn't, you would be talking about 0.001 to 0.0001 of the total).

Again, glad you got it working, but insinuation that you were being lied to is way off base.