Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Tourist

Go pro upload to iOS takes months

[ New ]
I have been trying to upload about 25 different videos to my iPhone from my GoPro and it literally takes longer to upload than it took to shoot the video. I have about 25 hour long videos and they keep adding up. I’ll never get them on my phone because I record more before I can get content off my GoPro. It’s insane how long it takes to upload from a GoPro to an iOS device. It’s also insane how long it takes a GoPro to upload to the cloud. I literally can’t depend on either service. GoPro should just remove the ability at this time as it does not work.

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Go pro upload to iOS takes months

[ New ]

@greencrest6446 I took a look at your media uploads. You had an approximately 24 GB video going up to the cloud starting at October 18th 2027 GMT that ended uploading on October 19th at 1357 GMT. If your upload speed from the ISP is 6 Mbps then the maximum that you can upload every hour is about 2 GB. This is assuming that your whole network is available for upload. Now looking at your uploads in progress there is another large file in progress from iOS that started at October 18th 1950 GMT. While these were in progress, there are files from the Quik Desktop also that have been attempted to be uploaded. Given all of this upload traffic just to GoPro, there is bound to be a drop in speed for each of your clients. Given that the iOS upload is happening in parallel, it might be taking up half the bandwidth of your upload(the camera upload finished in less than 24 hours, so probably the phone was not uploading the whole time). So, I would suggest that you look at the traffic patterns from your household and given the upload bandwidth limits, try and maximize that bandwidth by uploading from one device at a time.

Thanks

View solution in original post

Tourist

[ New ]
Yea, as suggested before you I attempted to upload from as many different places as I could. I’m unaware of an iOS upload. I’m sure it’s a 45 minute video of me reviewing something (it’s an edit I made I the Quik app). Therefore that has been likely uploading for a VERY long time. I don’t really need that on my GoPro cloud so I’ll look into that. I recently did notice a speed boost since complaining here. Perhaps it was just the iOS finishing. I will now upload manually from my laptop. Auto upload gets messy when you have multiple things going at once and it’s unclear. Thanks for the help and explaining what’s going on. You can mark this as resolved. I’ll give the cloud another chance. Thanks again.

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @greencrest6446

Sorry for any trouble caused.

Can you please check if the files are stuck on upload? See Manage Upload Page in Media Library

You may also do a test if a manual upload will go through.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
No, they don’t appear to be stuck. I am familiar with this page and I check it routinely while away from home. I’ve even attempted to do the upload on my laptop. It has been at 0% for the last 5 hours. At this point filming is useless if I can’t off-load the stuff. Well I guess more specifically the cloud is useless. Nothing can get to it. The only thing that allows me to view my content is the legacy version of quick on windows or just the file browser with the memory card from the GoPro in the reader. I will not EVER understand why the upload to iOS takes hours for a single video regardless of file size. I can send a 4GB file on iOS to another iPhone using airdrop in about 2 minutes flat. I don’t think GoPro should’ve ended support for the desktop app as the mobile apps are trash and constantly changing names. I find it an insult that the app is named “quick”
440760EC-2EAC-424C-BAA2-C519CD20D2AF.png
Tourist

[ New ]
After hours of waiting I get this... SMH I don’t suggest wasting money on the cloud. It doesn’t fing work.
64688F03-CDE6-4E74-9C8B-7954AAE28AA4.png
Tourist

[ New ]
I have the 6mbps upload speed. This should be going MUCH Faster
51486087-D0FD-4916-A382-3788429C64D4.png
GoPro

[ New ]

Thanks for getting back to us.@greencrest6446

Can you please do a manual upload to help isolate this?

Once logged in via gopro.com/login select Add Media.

It will be best to test this on a computer browser.

Regards,

Ej

GoPro

[ New ]

@greencrest6446 I took a look at your media uploads. You had an approximately 24 GB video going up to the cloud starting at October 18th 2027 GMT that ended uploading on October 19th at 1357 GMT. If your upload speed from the ISP is 6 Mbps then the maximum that you can upload every hour is about 2 GB. This is assuming that your whole network is available for upload. Now looking at your uploads in progress there is another large file in progress from iOS that started at October 18th 1950 GMT. While these were in progress, there are files from the Quik Desktop also that have been attempted to be uploaded. Given all of this upload traffic just to GoPro, there is bound to be a drop in speed for each of your clients. Given that the iOS upload is happening in parallel, it might be taking up half the bandwidth of your upload(the camera upload finished in less than 24 hours, so probably the phone was not uploading the whole time). So, I would suggest that you look at the traffic patterns from your household and given the upload bandwidth limits, try and maximize that bandwidth by uploading from one device at a time.

Thanks

Tourist

[ New ]
Yea, as suggested before you I attempted to upload from as many different places as I could. I’m unaware of an iOS upload. I’m sure it’s a 45 minute video of me reviewing something (it’s an edit I made I the Quik app). Therefore that has been likely uploading for a VERY long time. I don’t really need that on my GoPro cloud so I’ll look into that. I recently did notice a speed boost since complaining here. Perhaps it was just the iOS finishing. I will now upload manually from my laptop. Auto upload gets messy when you have multiple things going at once and it’s unclear. Thanks for the help and explaining what’s going on. You can mark this as resolved. I’ll give the cloud another chance. Thanks again.
GoPro

[ New ]
That’s great. If you have any suggestions on how to make things better then please post here and tag me. The “Manage Uploads” page was created based on user feedback here on the forums. If you need help or face any problems please do post here.