Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Tourist

Go pro app filters for video editing

[ New ]

Go pro app provides various filters in video editing like (Cinematic, Nola, Wiamea, Vibe, Grotto, Graffiti etc) these filters when applied to videos the resolution of video is downgraded to 1080 p from 4k videos.

Is there any option so that these colour filters can be applied to videos but the resolution of original video should remain as 4K only ?

GoPro

Re: Go pro app filters for video editing

[ New ]

Hello, @rajeshl155. The output resolution when using the GoPro App is automatically set depending on the resolution of the file used and/or the OS of the device. Currently, the highest output resolution for Android devices is 1080p/60fps. The encoder performance and quality provided by the Android devices are to be considered. iOS devices can output 4K provided that all clips were recorded in 4K. 

Tourist

[ New ]
Thanks for information.
But it does not work on my iPhone 7 and iOS 14.2
I recorded in 4K 30 FPS on go pro hero 8.
Imported the clip from camera to my app using import
Media option.
When I edited and applied filter Waimea and saved media to
My iPhone and uploaded to YouTube it show max resolution 1080 in YouTube.

On iPhone 11 or 12 the video is saved/exported in 4K ?
I checked on MacBook for go pro app these filters are not available. How can make these filters available on Mac book air ?

Thanks and regards
GoPro

[ New ]

@rajeshl155, yes, I just tried saving a 4K clip (edited with Waimea filter) from the GoPro App to the local Photos app on my iPhone 11 and it retained the resolution.

As far as I know, YouTube processes higher video resolutions, such as 4K and 1080p, after your upload is complete, so it's expected for these resolutions to take several hours to become available.​​​​ I found this article on the YouTube Help Center with suggestions about uploading high-quality videos.

I also found this thread on the YouTube Community that can shed some ideas.

As for the filters, these are currently available on the GoPro App only.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi @aenriquez ,

Thanks for your reply. 

Youtube generally takes time to process 4k videos its correct. But problem here is when Waimea or grotto or other preset filters are applied to video the size of video is drastically reduced when videos are saved to iphone photos.

For example if original videos size 4 gb for 5 min videos in 4k and after applying filter (grotto or waimea) the size of video becomes less by 60 to 70 % of original size. ( I tried on iphone 11 pro max and iphone 7)

So I think video itself loses its quality from 4k to 1080 p. ?

So youtube can not do anything here I guess.

1> Now do you have any custom settings on your iphone so that original video gets exported in 4k only after applying filters ?

2> Did you compare file sizes before and after applying filters (Cinematic, Waimea, grotto etc) to original 4k videos Is there any change ?

3>  are these preset filter available on go pro app for mac or windows ?

Best Regards

Rajesh

GoPro

[ New ]
Hi
@rajeshl155

Are you doing SCE - single clip editing or a MCE (Story) multi-clip editing ?

I tested on a SCE, on a short 4K/30fps video: I chose a filter, then saved to GoPro app and exported to my phone. I have air-dropped the video from my iPhone X (iOS 14.2) to my computer (Mac)
The resolution of the file remains at 4K, however file size is a bit smaller, as the video is a bit compressed after going through the engine.
But it's still 4K.

In the same way - MCE will be 4K in output if the majority of the file used is 4K as well. Size file will be a little less, for the same reasons as said above.