Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Highlighted
Tourist

GPS stickers don't work

I have a new Hero8 Black, I have GPS enabeled on the camera, and downloaded a video to my phone.  When I go into Stickers I can see the GPS functions but I cannot use them.  The only Sticker that works is the GoPro logo.  What am I doing wrong?  Also .... is there an instruction manual for the app hidden on this site somewhere that might be able to answer questions like this for me?

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: GPS stickers don't work

Hello, @dbailey319. The GoPro App not allowing the use of GPS stickers means that the video file that you have did not capture GPS for the whole duration. How was the recording done? Did you use the QuikCapture function? Was the GPS icon on the camera solid what before the recording was initiated? Was the recording location free from any interference that could have interrupted the GPS from being captured? 

For a guide on how to use the GPS Stickers on the app, see this link

Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks for the reply.  The camera was on the top of the dash of my truck, up by the windshield so it should have good satellite access.  I don't know if the GPS indicator was on.  I did use QuikCapure and the video ran for 8 minutes so there was plenty of time for satellite connection before I stopped the video but even at the end there was no GPS data.  I didn't see anything in the manual that indicates I must wait for the signal before starting the recording, or that QuikCapture can't be used with GPS.  If this the case this is a big negative for how I want to use the camera.

Highlighted
GoPro

@dbailey319, to record GPS data, your GoPro needs to lock onto a GPS satellite signal. Once GPS is enabled, you will see the GPS icon turn solid on the camera display, confirming that GPS has been found and locked.

GPS ON                          NO GPS Signal                      GPS OFF
User-added imageUser-added imageUser-added image

To find a strong GPS signal, make sure you’re outside and away from large structures. Hold or mount your camera with the top facing upward. It can take up to a minute to establish a signal.

Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks.  Does this mean that Quikcapture will never work?  It won't start adding GPS data to a video already being recorded when the signal is obtained?

Highlighted
GoPro

@dbailey319, there's likely a slim chance for the camera to establish a solid GPS connection when the recording is initiated via QuikCapture. 

Highlighted
Nomad

If your video is long enough, your camera might start adding GPS data on the second chapter (file) if it acquired the signal during the first one. In most cases Quickcapture does not acquire a GPS lock on the first clip.

Some tip around this here: https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Metadata-Visualization-GPS/GoPro-GPS-not-working-Performance-st...

Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks all!