Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Hiker

GPS data Android app

[ New ]

Hi,

I use the GoPro Max and for editing I use the app on Android. Unfortunately I cannot use the telemetry data in about 95% of the cases. Here in the forum I read then that it is obviously because the GPS data is too inaccurate. Then again there is the workaround for Quik under Windows. But I honestly don't want to transfer the data to my computer first, edit it there and then play it back to the smartphone. I mostly use the GoPro as a helmet camera with a clear view of the sky. With the GoPro Hero 7 I never had any problems with this.

Is it clear when this problem will be fixed in the app? Or is there at least a workaround that I can use directly on the smartphone?

Thanks and best regards

Bastian

Accepted Solutions
Nomad

Re: GPS data Android app

[ New ]

From your original post, I suspect you have already seen this, but just in case here are some tips on how to optimize the GPS data: https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Metadata-Visualization-GPS/GoPro-GPS-not-working-Performance-st...

It does seem like in your case, the problem might be a temporary signal quality loss. There's not much you can do other than what you seem to already be doing. Some times you just get bad results unfortunately. On desktop there are alternatives, as you said, but not for mobile, I'm afraid.

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @boarst

Sorry for any trouble caused.

Do you initiate the recording via QuikCapture?

We have received some reports that GPS issues are usually from files done via QuikCapture.

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi @aragon1006 

no, I'm not using QuikCapture. I start the camera, prepare my bike and check, if the camera has a GPS signal. Then I start recording.

So the camera always has a signal.

Thanks

Bastian

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @boarst. To further isolate the issue, may we know which SD card is used in the camera? The brand name, type and capacity will be helpful information. Has the card been formatted in the camera? Also, to verify, is your MAX running on the latest firmware? Thanks!

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi @mariustanya ,

I was using the latest firmware (and then updated to 1.50 yesterday). The SD card is a SanDisk Extreme with 64 GB. I formatted it in the camera and before that I used it in the Hero 7 and Fusion. 

I don't know, if it's related to this issue, but the last recording was "ok". I recorded about an hour in Hero mode and each part could be used with GPS data within the GoPro Android app. However one piece for about a minute was a little inaccurate. And the shown speed was way to fast. The speed increased from 20 km/h to 40 km/h which was simply not possible.

Thank you

Bastian

Nomad

[ New ]

From your original post, I suspect you have already seen this, but just in case here are some tips on how to optimize the GPS data: https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Metadata-Visualization-GPS/GoPro-GPS-not-working-Performance-st...

It does seem like in your case, the problem might be a temporary signal quality loss. There's not much you can do other than what you seem to already be doing. Some times you just get bad results unfortunately. On desktop there are alternatives, as you said, but not for mobile, I'm afraid.