Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Highlighted
Sightseer

Re: GOPRO HERO 4 BLANK THUMBNAILS - NO PREVIEW

Same issue
iOS GoPro app
GoPro hero session
Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @loyaldawn40207

Kindly go over the information listed on this article.

Have you tried copying the files to the device via the GoPro app?

Do you have the latest version of the app and the camera?

For reference: https://gopro.com/help/articles/Question_Answer/Supported-Resolutions-for-Copy-and-Share-in-the-GoPr...

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

@aragon1006 Seriously, are you trolling us now? Have you actually read this thread? Have you listened to any of your customers who have told you repeatedly that they've tried everything without success? Why do you reply to newbies, and give them the same pointless advice, but never reply to people who tell you that the problem remains? Why have you never updated version 5.0 of the firmware when it's clearly this that caused the problem?

I honestly think you're just having a laugh now, like it's a joke in the GoPro offices as to who can wind up their customers the most.

Version 5.0 of the firmware is broken. It causes blank thumbnails to appear. It's not the mobile device, it's not the mobile OS, it certainly isn't the brand of memory card we're using. It's the firmware. My camera was fine until I upgraded to version 5, then it stopped working, and lots of other people on this thread have told you the same thing. Your firmware is broken. I don't believe GoPro have the ability or inclination to fix it.

It would be helpful if you could just be honest about this, rather than insulting your (ex) customers by giving clearly incorrect advice.

Highlighted
Hiker

total disappointment ... absurd before with obsolete phones it worked well now it does not work for nothing ... it seems done on purpose to force you to buy a new gopro

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Highlighted
Tourist

Got the same problem, missing thumbnails when viewing photos/videos using the GoPro app. The Ipad which shows "!" inside triangles or Android just shows black thumbnails. I took all videos and photos using the same settings but some show up in the app preview and some don`t. 

I`m using

• GoPro Hero 4 Silver
  • Latest GoPro App on Android and Ipad
  • Firmware HERO4 Black/Silver v05.00 | Oct. 21, 2016

I have just reloaded the latest V5 firmware from GoPro and reformatted the SD card but from the experiences of the forum members I do not hold up much hope, and as the last firmware was nearly 2 years ago I guess the Hero 4 is no longer supported.

So my plan is to downgrade the firmware to V4 as suggested in this forum.

I had a look at what firmware V5 changed

new Latest release:
HERO4 Black/Silver v05.00 | Oct. 21, 2016

HERO4 Black/Silver v05.00

Highlights

• Enables Karma compatibility
  • Adds Linear FOV

Karma Compatibility

• Enables live preview and camera control from the Karma Controller

Linear FOV

• Linear field of view (FOV) captures video without the traditional fisheye
 I don`t have the Karma drone so I`ll lose the 'Linear field of view (FOV)', or are there other changes I`ll lose?

So my questions, if I may 

1. Does anyone have much experience with up/downgrading/flashing the GoPro`s, ie is there a limit to the amount of times you can flash the cam`s.
  2. And most importantly can anyone give an MD5 or SHA-1 for firmware v4 so we can verify the download as GoPro don`t give links to old firmware, or at least I can`t find them.

Thanks in advance for a response Smiley Happy

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @greenstar02104

There is no limit to the number of times that you can flash the firmware of the camera. This is also supported by the unlimited times that one can do a manual update on a camera for troubleshooting purposes. 

We are not able to provide older firmware versions though. 

Best regards, 

Marius

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi @mariustanya. Thanks for the feedback. Do you have any plans to update firmware 5.0 to resolve the "blank thumbnails" issue?

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @chrisgibson76

It has been reported to the team but we do not have any information at this time regarding a firmware update. We will keep you posted, for sure. You can also save this link for easy reference: https://gopro.com/help/articles/Block/Software-Update-Release-Information

Thanks, 
Marius