Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Fixing the GoPro Android app

Hello @fireydive47807,

Is the mobile data turned off while the phone and the camera are paired? Mobile data could cause interference between the the two devices. If this is not the case though, try manually updating the camera and uninstall then reinstall the GoPro app on your device. You can find instructions for manual update here

Let us know how it goes. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi there, it's not the connection over data it's the app itself.  It is slow and buggy; often freezing.  If you read reviews on the play store, the android app has lots of complaints.

Highlighted
Tourist

Since we're discussing issues with the GoPro app for Android, I'll chime in.  For over a year now, the GoPro Android app has some major incompatibility issues with the Pixel 2 / Pixel 2 XL, the Samsung Galaxy S8 and at least one other major phone.

Here's the direct quote from my chat"

"I am sorry to let you know that the reason why you are experiencing an issue is because GoPro app has a compatibility issue with Pixel 2 phone, Naomi phones and the newest Samsung S8"

I confirmed this with GoPro support via chat about a year ago when I was having major issues with the app (horribly slow and completely unuseable.)  These are known issues that apparently GoPro is "working on".... except in reality, they're pretty clearly not doing anything to fix the issues.  The representative I chatted with had no timeline readily available for resolution of these bugs, but per my request will be reaching out to the development / coding team and requesting that info.  As I suspected, over a year later, there's still no fix, and I have yet to hear back from anyone with a resolution. 

The issue is a major one - the app is unsuable on my Pixel 2 XL. Even before trying to even connect a camera, it is nearly impossible to navigate around the app because of the ridiculous lag.  When I attempt to connect to my Hero 6 Black via WiFi, it does suceed, but the app itself is so laggy and unresponsive, I can't even consider using it.  I've completed all the recommended troubleshooting steps, and done tons of my own troubleshooting - nothing has improved the app even a little bit.

The Pixel 2 XL and the Pixel 2 are Google's own phones. They're very highly regarded phones, and have plenty of power.  Same can be said of the Galaxy S8. These devices have been out long enough at this point that any bugs should have been squashed long ago.  Also, the Pixels should be the easiest phones to develop for, since they're running essentially stock Android.  GoPro's inability to deliver a functional app for some of these top phones is absolutely ridiculous and makes me want to abandon GoPro for competing action cameras like the Yi or DJI.  

Being unable to control my GoPro when it's in the waterproof housing, unable to trigger captures while standing away from the device, the inability to download / view pics and video on my larger screen while on the go... these are all part of the reason I paid a premium for my GoPro, and are essentially deal breakers.  I'd urge anyone who's in a similar position to put pressure on GoPro to get this resolved quickly, and for anyone who owns one of the mentioned phones to fully consider whether you want a GoPro without a functional phone app to go with it.

Highlighted
Tourist

Oh, and I just tried to post this comment (above) as a standalone thread, just to see if I'd get any response.  Well I got a response alright.  The moderators marked it as SPAM and deleted it.  Great job guys.  Keep up the horrible work.  Definitely makes me want to tell all my friends and family about my great experience with GoPro and totally doesn't make me want to tell them about the equally as good, at slightly less expensive alternatives.......

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @royalpike80083. Tagging a post as spam is automatically done by the system depending on set filters. The post is not deleted though. Since being notified about it, we have un-spammed your message. 

Have you installed the latest version of the GoPro App on your phones? What actually happens when you try to pair your phones with the camera? Is your camera updated to the latest firmware? In the meantime, and if you haven't done them yet, try the troubleshooting steps here. Let us know how it goes. 

Highlighted
Tourist

Hello @mariustanya I have indeed installed the most recent GoPro App on my Pixel 2 XL.  As stated in my writeup found here, the issue is not with the connection between the phone and the camera, it occurs even before that.  The app itself is malfunctioning while running on the Pixel 2 XL (and seemingly other devices as well.)   To verify this, I removed all traces of the app, the pairing with my camera, and so on, and then started from scratch.  When I started the app for the first time, I chose the option skip connecting any cameras.  This means that the app was not searching for or trying to connect to any devices.  The app STILL lags like crazy - it's nearly unuseable.  

Again, going through all the troubleshooting steps doesn't fix it, and neither does rebooting or anything of the sort.  This is an incompatability issue with the Pixel 2 and a few other devices -- as I noted in my other writeup, this was confirmed by the support over a year ago, and still has not been fixed.  The Pixel 2 is one of the Google flagship phones, so to not support it, especially when it's just running stock Android is beyond ridiculous.

Highlighted
Sightseer

Hi. I am using the Asus Rog Phone 2 with GoPro Max. When I am using the 360 feature, the other camera isn't clear. Its as if it has a dark filter. I already did the latest update of the GoPro and tried uninstalling the app. Do you have a fix for this? However, if I connect the GoPro Max to an iPhone, there is no problem with the view. Please help. Thanks!

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @erwanduterte

We have recently released an update for the GoPro app both on Android and iOS.

Please make sure to restart your phone before pairing it with the camera again.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej