Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Sightseer

Exporting RAW 360 from iPad/iPhone app for later editing?

[ New ]

Hello,

I'm trying to export the raw 360 videos from the camera for later editing to an external hard disk connected to my iPad Pro. The reason is, that the footage takes a lot of space in the iPad App and I would like to save a 360 version for later editing to conventional video. I have found no way in exporting/importing 360 files to the app. 

The only way I found would be to save the raw files from the microSD, then when needed copy the files back onto the microSD, put it back into the MAX and import via the WIFI GoPro Camera which is very unpractical.

Is there a way to edit exported 360 MP4 in any app later to conventional video or why is there no exporting function in the GoPro App? Has anybody found a way using ONLY the iPad Pro?

Thanks for your help!

GoPro

Re: Exporting RAW 360 from iPad/iPhone app for later editing?

[ New ]

Hello @peppypeak83144. To verify, by raw 360 media, do you mean those files that were originally captured and not edited ones, right? Or do you mean those captured using the RAW setting as described here? If the latter, the only way to save them to your external hard disk would be through the steps described in the same linked article. 

Sightseer

[ New ]

Dear all,

I've have the same question ie how to 'transfer' original 360 videos from GoPro App (iPhone) into a hard drive on my Mac.

I'd like to save those videos for later editing as it is taking a significant amount of space on my iPhone (already nearly 100 gb of videos stored on my iphone :( ).

Plus if find it not very praticable to manage edited videos on my iPhone as the GoPro app is mixing up original files with the editated ones (no possibility to filter between original footage and edited videos) therefore it becomes hard to know which video you've already edited.

Thanks all for your help

Highlighted
Sightseer

[ New ]
Actually found what I needed with GoPro player. All is now resolved. Sorry for posting my question before testing the desktop app. Great Easter to all !
GoPro

[ New ]

No worries, @frankymedia. Glad you found the solution to your query. Thank you for posting back to share it. Enjoy using your GoPro! 

Tourist

Betreff: Exporting RAW 360 from iPad/iPhone app for later editing?

[ New ]

I have the same question. As I did not know, that imported 360 files could not be accessed right away via "Files" app or iTunes, I deleted all of the original files on the SD card after importing into GoPro app in iPad. Because I'd like to keep a backup of the unedited files I am searching for a way to access them.

Is there anything I can do to get them back?

EDIT: I noticed that one can save a 360 file into "Photos" app from within the media view tab. Does that copy the file completely unedited?

GoPro

Re: Betreff: Exporting RAW 360 from iPad/iPhone app for later editing?

[ New ]

Hi @pandel1975

Once copied to the app, files are stored in an in-app folder.

Most iOS and Android media gallery apps do not natively support 360 media. You may want to try transferring the files from your phone to your computer via Airdrop.

You can also try GoPro PLUS.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

Re: Betreff: Exporting RAW 360 from iPad/iPhone app for later editing?

[ New ]

Hey @aragon1006  !

Ok, Airdrop somewhat sounds like a solution, but it is not ideal and workflow-friendly. GoPro PLUS is no solution for me, as don't want anything to hang out in someone's cloud. Additionally I am not able to access GoPro PLUS from within my normal network for security reasons.

But I don't quite understand why the files simply aren't accessible via "Files" app. GoPro should consider to make the in-app folder accessible from the outside. That would make file handling much easier.

Example:

I often use my iPad to process the files from start to finish. So my normal workflow would be to import everything, process it, bounce the results and save all project files to an external NAS service in my local network. Every app I am using is capable of either accessing the NAS directly, or I can copy files via "Files" app. Only GoPro Player is fiddly in this regard. Would be very nice, if that could be changed to a more versatile solution.