Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Tourist

Export to iOS Photos - Files with duplicate names seem to be skipped

[ New ]

I had an H7 and just added an H8.  I reflashed the H7 to the latest firmware so the filenames started back at 000.  

I just returned from a trip to Hawaii.  I used the iOS GoPro app on my iPad Pro to wifi download from the cameras each night.  It appears that all the files copied over, even though the filenames could overlap.  There's not way for me to sort or filter by camera in the app, so its hard to be sure.  During my trip the H7 was stolen.  I still have the H8 and its SD cards.  I want to export the H7 videos from the app to my desktop for editing.  It appears that there is no way in the app or after the media syncs to the GP cloud, to show the filename, or to sort by camera.

I used the H8 SD card and a card reader to copy onto my desktop computer.  I exported all of the files from the app to iOS photos.  Then I used a USB cable to connect the iPad and copy all the media onto my desktop.  Then I used a folder diff tool (Beyond Compare) to see which files were only on the iPad.  Surprisingly, I found several files with the same name, but vastly different sizes.  No files have a (1) or _copy in the filename.

So I ran exiftool on both directories and copied the files into folders based on camera/date.  Missing movies on one side were shown on the other.  I think what this shows is that when filenames are duplicated, they are overwritten during export.

How can I find just the Hero7 media files?  I even know the filenames I'm looking for, but no way to search or sort by filename!

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Export to iOS Photos - Files with duplicate names seem to be skipped

[ New ]

Hello, @isaacp75711. The media in the GoPro App gallery cannot be sorted by camera model used. The filters for sorting are capture date, recent, and file size. The media can also be filtered using photos, videos, clips, hilights, or 360. 

The filename is also not shown directly even in the media library in the cloud. The only way to sort the media by filename is by moving them to device storage (such as your phone and/or the computer) and viewing them as a list (so the filenames show). Even then, the media will still not be grouped by camera model. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

Re: Export to iOS Photos - Files with duplicate names seem to be skipped

[ New ]

Hello, @isaacp75711. The media in the GoPro App gallery cannot be sorted by camera model used. The filters for sorting are capture date, recent, and file size. The media can also be filtered using photos, videos, clips, hilights, or 360. 

The filename is also not shown directly even in the media library in the cloud. The only way to sort the media by filename is by moving them to device storage (such as your phone and/or the computer) and viewing them as a list (so the filenames show). Even then, the media will still not be grouped by camera model.