Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Highlighted
Hiker

Export settings need in iOS app

I've created a video in the GoPro app using 4K clips. Once finished I tried to export and the app doesn't give the option to change the export settings (resolution, frame rate etc). I saved my completed video in whatever for format the app saved it as (I have no idea)... I uploaded to Facebook and once uploaded to Facebook it looked like it had been filmed on a mash potato 

Why why why isn't there better control of the export settings? When seletecting the Facebook share button the app should render for the required Facebook export settings. The same goes for YouTube etc....

The video I uploaded looks terrible. 

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Export settings need in iOS app

@jayguadagni 

Currently here's what you have when you export a multi-clip edit:

• On Android it's 1080p/60fps in output.
  • On iOS we take the resolution of the most media in your Story (so if you have a majority of 4K media, output will be 4K)

This information isn't exposed in the App indeed and there's for now no settings on this aspect. I believe it is being considered for the future.

Sharing on Facebook is tricky because quality is usually downgraded. I found from personal experience that uploading a video from desktop computer works better / gives better quality than from mobile.

Check the original file itself to see its resolution/fps.

Highlighted
Hiker

@haindash 

All the footage edited in the GoPro app was 4K resolution, the exported file is too 4K and plays flawlessly. The problem with the GoPro app is that people want to share the exported content, so it would be great to have control over the export settings from the app...

I have tried uploading the exported 4K video to Facebook via a desktop computer and Facebook works wonders at compressing the video and destroying it in the process. 

The GoPro app would be great if these export settings could be changed. 

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi,

So you mean you'd like to choose a lesser resolution in GoPro App? Like 1080 or 720 instead of 4K?

I have talked to Product about that and it will be considered for the future roadmap.

If the export file is indeed 4K then it's a good start as you know that you do get the best quality out of your mobile.
After that... well Facebook.... YouTube and the likes.... that's the sad story of compression :(