Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Tourist

Control Go Pro Hero 7 with app during snowboarding

[ New ]
Hi, My phone and gopro hero 7 black have to reconnect via Wifi everytime again to start and stop a recording. How can I keep the connection alive and control my gopro instantly?
Screenshot_20200217-205935_GoPro.jpg
GoPro

Re: Control Go Pro Hero 7 with app during snowboarding

[ New ]

Hi @maarteno56

When the app/camera is not in use, the connection between the two is kept via Bluetooth.

If you continue to get issues, please refer to GoPro App - Wi-Fi Connection Lost

Let us know how it goes.
You may also reach out to our Support Team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs for further assistance.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

The camera is in use and connected via Bluetooth.

The connection is not completely lost. But it needs to reconnect via Wifi everytime.

Can I not keep the phone and camera connected via Wifi?

GoPro

[ New ]

@maarteno56, I'm afraid it won't be feasible. The GoPro camera creates a Wi-Fi network that the mobile device connects to. This is how the GoPro App establishes the connection to the camera.

Tourist

[ New ]

Oke thanks for the quick reply, but I don't get why this is impossible.
When I am on another WiFI network at home or anywhere else, I stay connected until I manually disconnect.
So why can this not be the same with GoPro? Or do I need to change something on my phone?

I cannot imagine that GoPro has designed the remote control option of it's action cam via phone to connect everytime again and again.... 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @maarteno56

The Wi-Fi connection will be kept if the app is continuously running.

If you open other apps that require internet connection, your phone will switch to a network with an active connection.

If your phone has Smart Wi-Fi / Wi-Fi+, you can have this switched off.

Thanks!
EJ

Tourist

[ New ]
Hi EJ,

I took some time to look into it and it's quite simple (now I know where to start). The gopro app does not setup a wifi connection on my phone in the same way as when I do this manually. So when I manually connect to the go pro's wifi network outside of the app, the networks stays connected until I manually disconnect. Sounds very simple, but I did not found it at first since the 5ghz connection on my phone is not always best too. But when switching to 2.4 ghz it works solid. And connecting to the gopro to start and stop recording goes much much faster! Could not test it in a day at the slopes yet, but works much better now.
20200302_222117.jpg