Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Nomad

Connection problem with Firmware 2.0

[ New ]

After updating the Hero8 to firmware 2.0, the APP could no longer find the camera - a completely different name was displayed! Only after deleting the APP memory and cache and then re-setting up the APP and the camera (after resetting to factory settings) was the camera found and the connection established. After that I was able to control the camera remotely via the APP, but didn't get a preview - the display in the APP was black! only after switching off / on and restarting the APP and the camera several times did the preview work. After that, it always worked with every connection. I was able to reproduce this behavior exactly on two Android 10 devices! So it seems to be a problem with the APP.

GoPro

Re: Connection problem with Firmware 2.0

[ New ]

Hello @oliverz513. We appreciate the details. We'd like to look further into this. What's the phone model used and the version of the GoPro App installed?

Nomad

[ New ]

Hello! LG G7ThinQ and Galaxy Tab S6 both with Android 10 and the latest security patch. GoPro APP is version 6.19.1.

I notice that both devices with GoPro firmware 2.0 show the same behavior. Today I successfully established the connection on the first attempt - the preview was also displayed immediately. Then the WLAN connection in the cell phone was deactivated. After reactivating WLAN I was able to reconnect and control the camera, but no longer activate a preview - as if the connection in the camera or APP  "got stuck" .... The only showed a black display and the message "Deactivate preview". That was not possible ... Only after stopping the APP several times and switching the camera off / on I was able to successfully establish a connection with preview again. In between there was a message that the "device" (assume the camera was meant) did not support or deactivated the preview function ... shortly afterwards, however, the preview was available and then remained stable. Every time there is a popup that the device (camera) is searched ... that never happened with firmware 1.6 or 1.7 (even with the same GoPro APP under Android 10)!

Nomad

[ New ]

For better understanding:

The connection is established (camera was found and can be controlled remotely) - I see this picture (Preview1), then I tap on "Activate preview" and Previe2 is displayed. Sometimes Previe3 is also displayed after a few seconds ... Usually (unfortunately not always) the preview (-> Preview4) works.

Once it works - the preview can almost always be activated straight away.

Image1.jpg
Nomad

[ New ]

If it doesn't work, the display remains black (no preview) - "Deactivate preview" is then gray and cannot be deactivated.

Preview5.jpg
GoPro

[ New ]
Hi,

This new dialog is shown when connecting to the camera's wifi. This change is required by Google as part of their Android Q security requirements, not from our end.
I had this on my Pixel 1, I had to wait for the "verbinden" option to become clickable as at first, like you I only had the "Abbrechen" option and after some time, it was shown and I could tap on it.

Also the workaround would be:
- In the screen to enable the preview
- send app to background and manually connect to the camera from their phone’s WiFi settings
- you can find the password by putting the camera in Pairing mode , then hitting the Info button on camera

This new Android Q flow has brought several issues on many Android devices sadly, like OnePlus phones for example, and others :(
Nomad

[ New ]

Thank you - I have already established the LAN connection manually with a password - I always check whether the mobile phone is connected to the GoPro SSID ... Nevertheless, it sometimes doesn't work. Especially if the connection has been broken in between.
Then re-establishing the connection is a game of patience!
Once the connection works, it will be established promptly every time ...
This behavior did not exist before the firmware update! I also had the same mobile phone with Android 10 and the same app version ...

GoPro

[ New ]
Hi,

Sorry about that, we will keep an eye on this, however we believe, sadly, that this has been introduced with the recent changes on the Android Q wifi workflow which has been imposed - something we cannot control.