Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Connecting and Livestreaming with Mobile Hotspot

I just bought a GoPro Hero 7 for its livestreaming capability.

It's my first GoPro purchase, I have to say I'm quite frustrated.

All I have is the GoPro and my smartphone with a Hotspot activated.

No other WiFi connections. My intention is to livestream on the go.

After various attempts I managed to pair the app with the GoPro.

But now on the app I can't access the GoPro functionality.

I'm on the screen showing the camera model, id and 3 icons (a grid, a camera and an upload to cloud icon).

If I click on the camera or grid it spins and spins and then it says:

"Something went wrong". "Make sure Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are on to continue."

Where to go from here? The message is confusing and should be made more precise.

Wi-Fi should be on - where? Why? My camera has an active hotspot so technically Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are on.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Connecting and Livestreaming with Mobile Hotspot

Hello @rapidshore21887. Below are tips to improve choppy streams on Facebook and other live streaming sites: 

1. For the highest-quality stream, use a Wi-Fi network (rather than a personal hotspot) whenever possible. This will help avoid stuttering or choppiness in your stream.
  2. If you stream from a personal hotspot, make sure you have strong cellular coverage and a data plan that lets you stream from a hotspot and provides adequate data rates.

Hope this helps. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Tourist

Okay I got what the problem is.

The GoPro sets up its own WiFi hotspot and you need to connect your phone to it and not vice versa.

Later, when you set up livestreaming, the menu allows you to pick a network to connect to the internet.

It even suggests to activate the hotspot. But if you do that you lose the WiFi connection to the camera you had in the first place.

Would it be possible for GoPro to update its firmware so the camera can connect to the phone's WiFi instead of the other way round?

Meanwhile: what is the workaround for livestreaming on the go?

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

Okay I was wrong. I managed to get livestreaming running. It's kind of counterintuitive but this is how I did it:

1. Connected to the GoPro WiFi with my phone

2. While setting up Livestreaming turn on and connect to hotspot on the phone (this turns off WiFi on the phone but somehow the app manages to stay connected to the camera to start the livestream)

It's kind of weird but it works. Also, whenever the livestreaming stops you lose connection to the camera and have to start all over (disable the hotspot, enable WiFi, connect to the camera's WiFi).

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @greenwave61114

Thank you for the update. Live streaming on the go  requires a personal hotspot so please make sure that you have strong cellular coverage and a data plan that lets you stream from a hotspot and provides adequate data rates. You can expect to use up to 2GB of data per hour when streaming from a personal hotspot. 

There is more information on live streaming here that you can use as guide. There is also a new firmware to be released soon. You may watch out for updates through https://gopro.com/help/articles/Block/Software-Update-Release-Information

Best regards, 
Marius

Highlighted
Sightseer

I have been having the same issues. I finial have the live streaming working but the video is choppy and aggrevating to watch. Any way to resolve that issue?

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @rapidshore21887. Below are tips to improve choppy streams on Facebook and other live streaming sites: 

1. For the highest-quality stream, use a Wi-Fi network (rather than a personal hotspot) whenever possible. This will help avoid stuttering or choppiness in your stream.
  2. If you stream from a personal hotspot, make sure you have strong cellular coverage and a data plan that lets you stream from a hotspot and provides adequate data rates.

Hope this helps.