Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Highlighted
Tourist

Connecrion problem

With gopro 8. My phone is LG v50.

I have problems with connecting my camera with my phone. App for android.

Connection is fine. I can find, connect, save settings and change modes.

But I cant see the preview. When i click preview button, i see 'connection succesfull' on the bottom, and after a second 'something came up. The app has cancelled the request to choose a device.' pops up and the loading circle goes on like forever.

Oh and also, i cant receive my media. Same context.

On June, When I bought my camera and used this app for first time, I used app for upgrading my camera and i saw preview. I downloaded my media a few times.

On August, that context started to appear. I thought that would be temporary error, I tried several times for a month. I removed app and reinstall, removed camera connection and reconnect for maybe 3 times, but still, i cant see my preview. And upgrade. And media.

Please. I wanna use my app again.
Capture+_2020-09-07-16-44-18.png
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Connecrion problem

This is exactly same as my connection problem.
Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @jeiwon @lookfar

Try manually connecting to the camera's WiFi network.  

Send the app to the background and manually connect to the camera from your phone’s WiFi settings.

You can find the password by putting the camera in pairing mode, then hitting the Info button on the camera.

Let us know how it goes.

Can you help us with the following information: Camera and Camera version, GoPro App version, phone and OS version.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

I posted same topic above. I did everything @jeiwon mentioned many times. but nothing has changed. My camera hero 8 black, goproapp: 6.191(9441) camera version number: 02.00, android 10. Phone: oneplus 6t.
Highlighted
GoPro

Hello, @lookfar and @jeiwon. When the camera and the app are already connected/paired, how do you go about getting a preview? Is there a thumbnail for media on the lower-left corner of the app screen that you can click on? It would help greatly if you can send us a screen recording showing the issue. We hope to hear back from you. Thanks!

Highlighted
Tourist

Gopro hero black 8
Phone LG v50
Android version 10
App version 6.19.1

Problem solved!

As you see in the picture, i m not a native speaker of English. I cant explain exactly what i mean.🙂

When I turn on the manual wifi, (1st picture) gopro wifi saids 'cant connect'. I clicked it several times, wifi connecting comes up and keeps failed.

Picture 2 is the screen what I see.
And as I checked with arrow, I can see my wifi between phone and camera in not connected

So I tried to re connect wifi.

I erased saved camera wifi on my phone, reset the password and put new password.

Then I got 3rd picture, with wifi connect. Yay!

I can see connected sign on 4th picture.
And at this point, my new media came up and i downloaded it.

But still, as 5th picture, I just can see black preview screen.

I tried everything again, reset everything and used new wifi password, finally I can see preview.
Problem solved. (No screen shot)

As a result of finding the problem my self, I found my phone keeps dis-connect the camera wifi, with 'no internet available' context pop up. And also I had a GPS saved wifi in my house, which automatically connects home wifi when I enter the room.

So I think, my phone thinks that the camera wifi is unstable, broken internet with no internet connection.
That s why he keeps shutting it, forcibly connect to my home wifi or other wifis. FOR ME! Which it wasnt!

The last time I reset my every wifi, I reset my home wifi too. I think... This helped me.

Anyway Problem solved. Any Android users who have same problem, try check wifi setting as I did.
Capture+_2020-09-08-15-35-14.png
Highlighted
Tourist

I followed your path step by step but I didn't solve problem. @jeiwon
Highlighted
Tourist

ONE SOLUTION

I was having this same problem. The app on my phone connected to the Hero8 camera and I could manage the camera from the app but I could not get a preview.

Also the app said there was a software update for the camera but it never managed to install it instead it told me the app could not connect to the camera - although there was clearly a connection.

I did everything; reinstalled the app, factory reset the Hero8, renamed the camera, everything I could think of.

Then there was only one more thing I could think of: I disconnected the VPN on my phone and then everything worked fine again.