Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Tourist

Cloud Upload just isn't working

[ New ]

I signed up to Plus today to try it out and so far it's doing nothing but draining both my GoPro Battery and crashing my phone.

My phone has dropped about 50% charge in an hour and the Go Pro about 30%.

My phone became quite literally unusable whilst it appeared to be trying to upload clips to the cloud, completely locking up and if I just left it to do it's thing it would eventually appear to crash and reboot, I've had to turn off auto upload because it was stuck in an endless loop of trying.

GoPro Hero 7 Black running 01.70

Google Pixel (1) Android version 9

I have to admit my first introduction to the GoPro brand has been filled with a fairly negative experience so far and has left me fairly disappointed given the brands high rating.

Tourist

Re: Cloud Upload just isn't working

[ New ]

Not sure what was going on earlier, but it's now appearing to upload without connecting to my phone in any way, anyone got any ideas what might have been going on for it to behave as it was?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @skiver77

Thank you for the updated post. Good to know that the upload is working smoothly. By any chance, have you tried setting up autoupload for your  cloud footage? 

Once you set up Auto Upload, you do not need to connect your camera to the GoPro App to use the feature, nor do you need to keep your mobile device within range of the camera. 

Feel free to post back for any concern or question. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Tourist

[ New ]

That was my expectation, however, a notification would constantly pop on my phone saying something along the lines of new media found.

I had to disable the GoPro app from running in the background just to keep my phone from constantly killing itself. 

The cloud upload appears to be working ok but it did take what felt like an unreasonable amount of time to upload. 

GoPro

[ New ]

@skiver77, you can disable the push notifications for GoPro App using the steps here: https://gopro.com/help/articles/Block/How-to-disable-push-notifications-for-the-GoPro-App

As for the Plus upload speed, the amount of time necessary to upload your footage is dependent on a number of factors, namely your network speed and amount of content. Uploading large size of contents may take time to complete.

Feel free to post back if anything else comes up. Stay stoked, and have fun capturing moments using your GoPro!

Tourist

[ New ]

I've restricted the app from running in the background and so far that's worked so I'm OK on that front.

As for upload speed, I'm uploading 2K/60fps footage so I know it's on the larger side however, upload isn't actually going anywhere near it's max. You can see the upload speed increase to around 90mbps when I run the speed test but either side of that "send" traffic is anywhere between 2-4mbps so the speed largely seems limited on the Go Pro clouds ability to receive the traffic.

If I wanted to about an hours worth of cycling we're looking at roughly 22GB of files, at these speeds it will take the best part of 12 hours to upload. If I upload the same files to Google Drive it takes approximately 30-40 minutes to upload. 

upload speed.png

GoPro

[ New ]

@skiver77Jul , thanks for the details. I reckon the slow upload speed could be coming from GoPro's server and network traffic. This is something that has already been shared to the team in charge. If the files are needed immediately, you may go for other cloud services for now.