Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Change storage location in Android?

Is there a way to change where the GoPro app stores the media it retrieves from the camera?  It looks like it's saving to the internal card bny default (which my phone's isn't very big), and would like to switch it to the external card where there's a lot more room.  I JUST installed the app today and am getting used to it, but don't seem to see anywhere in settings this can be changed.

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Change storage location in Android?

Hello @jasonp0060

The GoPro App saves only on the phone's storage. To save space on your phone's internal memory, you can move the files (pictures and videos) to the external card once they are imported to your phone via GoPro App. 

Thanks, 
Marius

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @jasonp0060

The GoPro App saves only on the phone's storage. To save space on your phone's internal memory, you can move the files (pictures and videos) to the external card once they are imported to your phone via GoPro App. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Highlighted
Sightseer

How do you move the files?
Highlighted
Tourist

That generally depends on your phone, and if it even has an external card.  Typically you can plug the USB cable from your computer to the phone and manage folders or directories and files just like any other with whatever file manager your OS uses (I'm a Linux guy, so I'd say try Windows _file_ Explorer for those with a Microsoft Operating System).  I don't know where GoPro saves the files by default, but if you get to the point you can browse the internal storage filesystem they should be easy to find.  Bear in mind I am not associated with GoPro, I'm just an I.T. guy, my methods may or may not work for you, I'd suggest checking your owner's manual for your phone, or the manufacturer or service providers' support.  Depending on the manufacturer and service provider you may have to use one of their proprietary applications.  I have an HTC for example, and there is a program/sync manager they provide for managing files on the phone when it's plugged into a computer.  I'll say it would be a great feature to add to the GoPro application as video files can get pretty big, and a number of them may exhaust the available space on the default (sic internal) storage of a phone.  With many phones today capable of supporting fairly large external cards (mine uses a 128G, and can use more), it would be nice to change the location the GoPro application stores the recordings by default.  In fact, without this, the application is basically useless to me, and I've un-installed it from my phone, my internal storage didn't have enough available space that the application was able to store any files locally on my phone.  Just means I pull the card from the GoPro, put it in my computer and move them that way, not a big deal, but would be a nice option.

Hope that helps,

JP