Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Change Hero7 wifi network from app?

I have a Hero7 and am able to connect to it from the app on my iPad, but it requires my iPad to disconnect from my home wifi.  I'd like to switch the camera to connect to my home wifi instead of creating its own wifi network.  I can't find any networking settings within the app.  How do I do this?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Change Hero7 wifi network from app?

"connecting the GoPro camera to your home Wi-Fi isn't possible"

I don't understand.  This seems completely broken.  If this is the case, I'm returning the camera.  I just got it yesterday and it's advertised as having wifi capabilities.  That would be a pretty silly definition of "wifi capable".  Are you sure?

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @fastspirit57681. The GoPro camera will be connected to the GoPro App on your mobile device via Wi-Fi (this wireless network doesn't have an internet connection). If you're trying to log in to your GoPro User Account through the GoPro App, connect your mobile device's Wi-Fi to your home Wi-Fi network. Additionally, connecting the GoPro camera to your home Wi-Fi isn't possible.

Highlighted
Tourist

"connecting the GoPro camera to your home Wi-Fi isn't possible"

I don't understand.  This seems completely broken.  If this is the case, I'm returning the camera.  I just got it yesterday and it's advertised as having wifi capabilities.  That would be a pretty silly definition of "wifi capable".  Are you sure?

Highlighted
GoPro

[ Edited ]

@fastspirit57681, yes, the camera cannot be connected directly to a home Wi-Fi network. What are you trying to accomplish in the camera? Are you wanting to live stream? If so, this can be done through the GoPro App (with the GoPro camera connected) on your mobile device. See How to live stream from your GoPro for more info.

For further reference, a copy of the Product Manual can be downloaded here: https://gopro.com/help/productmanuals

Highlighted
Tourist

I'm trying to reduce the needless steps involved in pulling content off my camera and then transferring it somewhere.  I use my ipad for other things besides the camera.  It's idiotic to make me switch back and forth between two wifi networks constantly while I'm trying to perform simple tasks.

Highlighted
Tourist

Things that can connect to my wifi

* my children's watches

* my light bulbs

* my hoverboard

* my phone

* my ipad

* my logitech webcam

Things that cannot connect to my wifi

* my brand new $300 "wifi capable" GoPro

* My 2005 chevy

I don't have any idea why this feature would not be there.  The hardware is fully capable of it.  I've now searched and found youtube videos showing how to perform ridiculous hacks with an extra wifi router in bridge mode to accomplish it (so apparently your customers are pretty determined folk), but that's just stupid.  Amazon will take it back no questions asked.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello, @fastspirit57681. There is an instance when the camera can connect to your Home Wi-Fi network. This is during auto upload - a process that allows the camera to upload GoPro media directly to the cloud (GoPro PLUS cloud). Setting this up is done through the GoPro app as detailed here: How to Set Up Auto Upload with GoPro Plus

When communicating with a mobile device such as your iPad, the connection will be through the camera's Wi-Fi. It is only when this pairing is interrupted that your iPad will be able to connect again to your home Wi-Fi network. 

Highlighted
Tourist

What a nuisance.  No thanks.