Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Tourist

Cannot Connect to GoPro when Plugged into Power Source.

[ New ]

I want to transfer my videos off of my GoPro Hero 8 Black onto my iPad. If it is running on battery power, I can do it, but the batteries don't last long enough to transfer everything.

So, I plug the camera into a power source. Unfortunately if the camera is plugged into a power source, it won't connect to the iPad.

I've even tried to connect while on battery power first, then plug into the charger. It connects while on battery and instantly disconnects as soon as I plug the USB in.

Does anyone have a solution for getting files transferred from my camera to my iPad that doesn't require running off of the battery?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Backpacker

Re: Cannot Connect to GoPro when Plugged into Power Source.

[ New ]

Take the battery out and leave it out.  Then power on your camera with the battery removed.  You should then be able to connect to the camera using the Quik app.  If you cannot, make sure you are not trying to power the camera using a USB port or a USB hub or a smart charger as the GoPro camera may be detecting it as a data connection instead of a dedicated power source.  

View solution in original post

Tourist

[ New ]

Solved.

The problem is the power source. I have a hub that has three dedicated charging ports. These ports don't function as a hub and devices plugged into them are not recognized by my PC, but apparently my GoPro still recognizes it as a hub and not just a charging station. 

Plugging the GoPro directly into the wall, via an adapter of course, solves the problem. 

Thanks to everyone who sent suggestions, especially irishmanpdx. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @atarist

You should be able to pair the camera while plugged in.

See if taking the battery out will make a difference.

Let us know if this setup works for you.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

It does not help.

I have power cycled and removed the battery multiple times. I have also force quit and restarted Quick several times.

Connects pretty reliably on battery power. Not at all when plugged in.

Backpacker

[ New ]

Take the battery out and leave it out.  Then power on your camera with the battery removed.  You should then be able to connect to the camera using the Quik app.  If you cannot, make sure you are not trying to power the camera using a USB port or a USB hub or a smart charger as the GoPro camera may be detecting it as a data connection instead of a dedicated power source.  

Tourist

[ New ]

Solved.

The problem is the power source. I have a hub that has three dedicated charging ports. These ports don't function as a hub and devices plugged into them are not recognized by my PC, but apparently my GoPro still recognizes it as a hub and not just a charging station. 

Plugging the GoPro directly into the wall, via an adapter of course, solves the problem. 

Thanks to everyone who sent suggestions, especially irishmanpdx. 

Backpacker

[ New ]

Glad you managed to get the issue sorted!  Good luck and have fun with your GoPro.  Don't forget to enter the GoPro awards, you never know your luck!