Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Hiker

Can we get landscape on iPad?

[ New ]

3 years and still no fix. Do I need to fold 1000 paper cranes? I'll keep posting until it's fixed. Everyone else should post too. GoPro obviously won't do anything unless enough people mention it.

Tourist

Re: Can we get landscape on iPad?

[ New ]

Access the Control Center by touching the top-right corner of any screen then dragging downward to https://vidmate.bet/.

GoPro

[ New ]

@jamesk05386, the app is set to portrait orientation by default. However, rotating the mobile device while previewing from the camera will enable landscape viewing mode to display the video horizontally.

We are continuously working on improving the experience of our users. We'll have this shared with the team.

Sightseer

[ New ]

This is NOT a fix...why is this not fixed yet???

Hiker

[ New ]
@boldhill28757 the screen doesn’t rotate in the Quik app even if screen rotation lock is off. The app only rotates while using it as a viewer for your GoPro and when watching a video from the Quik library.
GoPro

[ New ]
@jamesk05386 @boldhill28757
Sorry about that, although we know that users are asking for full landscape support, however this isn't planned for now.
Sightseer

[ New ]

I wonder if there is another camera that works similar so you can use an app in landscape mode/key board access. Seriously go pro should be upfront. Just say hey we don't like apple and make using our product with apple as frustrating as possible. 

Tourist

[ New ]

This is crazy that it isn't planned! Virtually every person I know who owns a GoPro wants to use it with an iPad in landscape mode. The GoPro + iPad would be a killer tool combo.

Why do you support portrait mode, but not landscape mode, when landscape mode is far more useful? 

You would be better off dropping support for portrait mode, and only using landscape mode. 

Whomever is over at GoPro making this decision should be taken off the team, because they're priorities are screwed up. They don't understand their users at all. 

Sightseer

[ New ]

This is ridiculous!!

landscape mode is one of the most useful features,  to say it is not a priority for the gopro team is absurd at the best, a deal breaker, the implementation takes a couple of weeks with just one developer, with a team of them like gopro has it is a week, the frustration they are incurring on their buyers is unnecessary, gopro is a big business now what is this petty behavior all about?

my opinion and my team only.

Tourist

[ New ]

I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong until I came here. Seriously? This is actually an issue? Should've been in the beta version of this app.

I'm starting to build my editing workflow, and was going to use the iPad extensively to rough cut footage and then finish it on my MacBook Pro. The iPad is pretty much worthless without landscape mode. The developer team must be led by a 24 year old who thinks all video should be shot in Portrait mode. I love how on all these threads there's the canned response from a GoPro "rep" and then this one has an additional "well, we really don't care about this" response. 

Tourist

[ New ]
It’s also hilarious to me that they are attempting to monetize the Quik app, despite glaring, ridiculous issues like this. It’s a freaking baseline expectation for a reasonable iPad app to work in portrait and landscape. The iOS development team at GoPro obviously doesn’t us their own app. Otherwise they would see that the workflow is totally broken/non-existent.
Sightseer

[ New ]

Ditto....geez....im using ipad pro and this is so aggravating!  

Tourist

[ New ]

The only way I can imagine their strategy making any sense, is if they're working on a whole new version of the app, and they're planning to scrap the old version. Let's hope that's what's happening. But it doesn't forgive the fact that this app didn't work in landscape mode from the start. Such a bizarre omission for a feature that's so common we usually take it for granted on iPad apps. 

Most people use the iPad in landscape mode now. All computer monitors and laptops are in landscape. How is this omission possible!

Tourist

[ New ]

Such contradictory statements also:

@aenriquez says "We are continuously working on improving the experience of our users. We'll have this shared with the team."

Then, @haindash says "although we know that users are asking for full landscape support, however this isn't planned for now."

So, are they working to improve the experience or not? 

Hiker

[ New ]

@danimal5000 The hilarious thing is that a "new version" just came out in March of this year. IIRC there was speculation that it was just a re-skin of the previous app. It's wild that a modern app doesn't support landscape mode. Even Instagram, which doesn't have an official iPad app, will turn sideways. That would honestly be preferrable to the current situation. It wouldn't be a permanent fix by any means, but at least I wouldn't have to pick up my iPad Pro and hold it in portrait like a massive phone in baby hands. 

Hiker

[ New ]

If you dig deep enough, one of the community managers admits that they're actually not working on it at all... The transparency would be better. Also firing whoever wrote the spagetti code that is making it difficult to have landscape mode. FFS some parts of the app work in landscape!

Tourist

[ New ]

Don't have to dig at all, just scroll up to the comment in this post. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Just bought an iPad Pro (came today in the mail). The reason I bought the 11" was to be able to easily take this on my dive trips to edit videos. This was actually the reason I bought this device since the only real custom thing I was intending on doing outside of the internet and light MSF Office use was make videos with the Quik app. I am SHOCKED this is even a thing. Absolutely disappointed.

Sightseer

[ New ]

I just bought HERO 10 and was really hoping use my iPad Pro and Quik to do video edits. Have to say am very disappointed that GoPro is not addressing the landscape issue. I frankly feel shortchanged as a new customer. Could never have imagined that such problem existed when I decided to invest in a GoPro camera.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Why? This is a serious omission that creates a bad impression of for your product. 

Tourist

[ New ]
Just had to come here and vent again. I’m on vacation, shot a lot of footage on two different cameras. Just brought my iPad Pro with me and not my MacBook. Working on my iPad with Magic Keyboard, opened up Quik to look at footage and the whole experience goes sideways. I’m seriously blown away every time by this omission.