Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Highlighted
Tourist

Best setup for live preview while recording?

I would like to pole mount a GoPro camera and be able to remotely preview (in high resolution) while recording on a tablet or screen larger than a phone. I've done this in the past with HDMI out, and while it works perfectly, it's far from waterproof or ideal.

Does anyone have equipment recommendations on the best way to remotely preview (20 - 30 feet) and also live view while recording at full resolution.  

GoPro 5, 6, 7?

Ipad, Ipad air, mini, Ipad Pro, Samsung tab? More than willing to buy new equipment, dongles, cables, whatever is absolutely necessary, just want a proven combination before I purchasse. 

Thanks much.

Highlighted
Nomad

Re: Best setup for live preview while recording?

I'm not sure there's going to be an easy solution for this.  If you're hoping to use the wireless transmission from a GoPro, you're not going to receive HD quality and you're more than likely to suffer from signal loss at the range you want.  You could always try using a wireless HDMI repeater, that way you can use the GoPro's HDMI out and get a HD signal.  However you would still have to power this device and it's not going to be a waterproof solution.  

Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Best setup for live preview while recording?

[ Edited ]

@kellym524 wrote:

I would like to pole mount a GoPro camera and be able to remotely preview (in high resolution) while recording on a tablet or screen larger than a phone.

I've done this in the past with HDMI out, and while this works perfectly, it's far from waterproof or ideal.

Does anyone have equipment recommendations on the best way to remotely preview (20 - 30 feet) and also live view while recording at full resolution.  

GoPro 5, 6, 7?

Ipad, Ipad air, mini, Ipad Pro, Samsung tab? More than willing to buy new equipment, dongles, cables, whatever is absolutely necessary, just want a proven combination before I purchasse. 

Thanks much.

Hi,

You may also want to check the older thread here - https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Hero-7-Black-LIVE-view-HDMI-UHD-4K-resolution/td-p/266513. And I guess wireless HDMI is the best option. There are of course some underwater WiFi extension cables for GoPro, but I guess they won't help much with the resolution.

Best,

Steve