Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Nomad

Re: Beschlunigungsanzeige (G-Kräfte) Motorsport - Genauigkeit

[ New ]

It's GoPro Analysis software from Race Technology and made for MotorSports.   I helped them alpha/beta this long ago and have used their hardware and software for nearly 20 years.  

Try the GoPro's G-Force sticker.   It shows lateral and longitudinal acceleration.  Lateral in the L and R direction and longitudinal (gas/brakes) up and down.  Note that it is really just a rough idea and is very undamped in the side to side or lateral direction.   You can see that it moves excessively side left and right in the sticker and exaggerates the forces.  

Taking a look at this further I plotted some lateral G-forces taken from the Hero 9 accelerometers in blue versus lateral G-forces taken from the GPS shown in red.  Synced to the video and at 100 Hz.  Quite a difference!   I have both zeroed out at the beginning of the clip taking into account the mount.  Wide open area with great sky access, good weather.   The stickers CAN be made as correct as desired, the hardware sensors are very capable at the least.  

Geez2.png
GoPro

[ New ]

@bjs712 @stanleym7236 

Hi,

To keep you updated on this and after futher testing, I've opened a ticket to add decimals to the G-Force data so that instead of just 0 / 1 / 2 we have more detailed info 0.2G etc...
I don't know when the ticket will be done but at least it's there so the Team can look at it and I hope make it happen at some point.

Thank you for your feedback

Tourist

[ New ]

Hello haindash,  thx for your support!

Question again, why are there existing youtube GoPro Hero 7 and 9 Videos, with decimals to the G-Force presentaions, but not for the Hero 8? With the same Quik Software?

As an alternative, if GoPro has not enought time for that: maybe there is a possibility to inclued the existing "race technology software" code in GoPro software to find a short and fast solution. I think (on my experience on official semipro/pro race events on Nürburgring Nordschleife) the more detailed vehicle dynamics information and messurement analysis is very importent and a greate benefit - if it works right and securely. One of the reasons to rely on GoPro - if it works, and not to use a potential smartphone or other hardware. 

Please, keep us updated.

It´s your clientele!

Thanks a lot.

Kind regards.

Björn

GoPro

[ New ]
Hi,

Question again, why are there existing youtube GoPro Hero 7 and 9 Videos, with decimals to the G-Force presentaions, but not for the Hero 8? With the same Quik Software? >>> no idea

Yes the team is looking at making the change for the decimal.
Tourist

[ New ]
@ stanleym7236 Very interresting. You are right, GoPro acceleration results seems to be not very realistic right now. I hope GoPro will work on it and software will be improved like haindash wrote. She shows that Gopro is interesting in customer requirements and that GoPro software will become the same quality in future like the GoPro hardware already is. I looked on the race-technlogogy Homepage. One question: there you can read, regarding acceleration (GPS Data) sensor and measurement, Hero 9 is more worse than Hero 8 (all BLACK editions). Your screenshots shows your hardware against GoPro Hero 9. Do you have compare-presentations relating to Hero Black 8? Thanks a lot. Kind regards, Björn
Nomad

[ New ]

Björn, The 9 is better (than the launch GPS capability) since one of the firmware updates.   I love my 9 don't get me wrong (best GoPro yet), but the 7, 8, & 9 don't do data very well for those who geek in MotorSports.   

So, I buy used 6s for a mount location that is near the CG of a car which is the best location for that kind of data.  It's all very fixable if the effort can be justified, and the 9 uses better Bosch & UBlox IMUs/GPS etc.   Some tech time would just have to be spent utilizing some of the existing features already in the various modules.  Perhaps there hasn't been time or the need to maximize battery life has things being idled or something.   

The GoPro GPS, Accelerometers, Gyros and so forth are actually better than what is often used in motorsports, yet locked down within our great little cameras.   Perhaps this is for the best in the end?   But in my case I literally have 2-3-4 separate GPS and motion sensing devices in a car (plus my phone) and it is all chaotic and non-integrated.   

For instance those using say RaceChrono or Harry's Lap TImer or Track Addict etc on a phone typically spend $100-300 on external bluetooth GPS to get beyond the 1 Hz GPS on phones...and those 100-300 modules are inferior to the tech in their GoPro sitting inches away but whose sensor data is inaccessible live and hard to reach in the videos later on.   A GoPro could REPLACE those modules were there a way to do it!!

Tourist

[ New ]
@ stanleym7236: I fully agree with you. That´s my target at all, too. To have one-in-all solution. GoPro for video and detailed enought measurement and presentation of acceleration, longitudinal and lateral (or calculated g-forces). Speed and position also. For me I need not realtime mesaurement. I think maybe thats to much for the GoPro system. It is only for after-race / later analysis. In automotiv development industrie (vehicle dynamics, suspension development) we have other hard and software. But with a potential smartphone OR GOPRO(!) it can and must be able to make enought detailed and realistic measurements and analysis of the driving behavior. If we have the thenth part of the g-forces displayed, but the data are not close to the reality, it doesn´t really help. But if there will be a realsitic presentation and measurement of the g-force decimal, it will be a huge benefit for all and a real improvement!
Nomad

[ New ]

Bjorn..imagine this in America at HPDE track days and race events and time trials etc

Car windshield has phone on it (1 Hz GPS, accelerometers, gyros etc and camera), GoPro (18 Hz gps and accelerometers, gyros etc and camera), Apex Pro ($550 (!!)10 hz GPS fed to phone via bluetooth), maybe an AIM or other data logger / lap timer also with GPS (!!!).  

The best GPS in that collection is the GoPro if mounted decently!!   

GoPro could add a live GPS feed and maybe other sensors output via BlueTooth to 3rd party phone apps that just need a few UUIDS and an NMEA GPS stream.   Charge say 50 or 100 for that...a bargain compared to what folks are already doing.  For analyzing after the fact you need non-GoPro software such at the RT stuff I use presently.   It would not require coming up with another app to analyze since long existing 3rd party options would take care of that.   Other possibilities such as DGPS or RTK etc for more accuracy would become possible, heck even surveying options.  

When the first iPhone came out, Jobs united phones, internet and music into one device.   Hmm...  I mean I often roll along with at least 2 if not 4-5 separate GPS devices at a racing event.  

Untitled.jpg