Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Bad Render Quality GoPro app.

Hi,

Quik App isn't being updated.
GoPro app is.

Quik App / GoPro App - iOS / Android - don't do the 4K exports.
Only GoPro App iOS will be able to manage the 4K exports.

Quik App ANDROID has the Pro Quality.
GoPro App Android doesn't have the Pro Quality.

Basically GoPro App Android exports at 1080/60 but doesn't have the Pro Quality setting (increased bitrate) that Quik App has -> We will be working on this topic, this is on our roadmap.
Highlighted
Tourist

Thank you for the reply. Understood, so as per now there is no way to export in 4k with the increased bitrate but it is on your roadmap.

Are you considering getting an app for PC?
I think people are exporting their footage anyway and having a real powerful rig (comparing to smartphone) would allow getting great results quicker and easier. I do not mean another studio (which I would appreciate too) but at least something similar to GoPro mobile app.
Highlighted
GoPro

I do not know what are the plans for computer as I am strictly on mobile side.
Highlighted
Tourist

Got it.

Maybe you could whisper here and there the suggestion ;)

Thanks for the explanation anyway.

Highlighted
Tourist

YouTube dont help quality ?

https://youtu.be/SFVYB3ylHnk
Highlighted
Nomad

Ive only just noticed this issue as well. I did a bit of 5K footage in the week with my Hero 9. Saved to the app via wifi (iPhone XS Max). 440MB. Saved it to the photos app and it reduced to 72MB. Didnt edit it at all. Thought it strange but wasnt too bothered at the time. 

Just took a timelapse thats 112MB in the GP app. Didnt touch it other than save to photos. This results in a file that has the same dimensions, but is only 12MB. 

So how are we supposed to go from the app to the outside world on our mobile devices, which is how the GP system is sold to us without a huge drop in bit rate, or is this just how it is?

Highlighted
Nomad

Should add, I'm aware that the iphone cant store 5K footage in the photos app, and does reduce the files down to the 4k at around 50% bit rate, but i was under the impression it did this so we can store the files in the native photos app, which makes sense. It shouldn't be doing this with every file though. 

Highlighted
GoPro

[ Edited ]

@modxuser 

Hi,

We know that we have to do some improvements on quality / bitrate in GoPro App. However this concerns more Android than iOS.

I did the test with a short timewarp taken on HERO9 (1080p/25fps). Tested on iPhoneX.

File Info from app

323 MB

Export to phone without any edits

323 MB

The size is the same, I am using the app VideoInfoViewer to check the video saved to the Photos App. Make sure that you are not checking the file after sending it to your computer via something that could reduce its size.