Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Highlighted
Tourist

Bad Render Quality GoPro app.

Hello,

I'm having trouble with the poor quality after I make an edit in the Gopro app, not Quik. All the highlight clips are from a single video, no color corrections, and it's got one of Gopros songs playing. The original video is super sharp along with the editing preview. But after I render it and save it to my phone, it becomes super pixelated. Thanks for any help!
Below is a screen shot after rendering and saving to my phone.
GoPro Hero 7 Black
Screenshot_20200124-002456_Video Player.jpg
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Bad Render Quality GoPro app.

Here's a screen shot from the preview in the GoPro app before rendering.
Screenshot_20200124-002401_GoPro.jpg
Highlighted
Tourist

I have the same problem. For testing purposes I created a movie in GoPro for Android using just a single video file from GoPro 8. The original is 82MB in size, and the output from GoPro app is just 21MB (same length).

In Quik there is a setting to export with high quality, but GoPro app does not have this setting.

GoPro mobile app is awesome, but this bug is a deal breaker.
Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @hunter3382 and @greenwave0725. Which resolution settings were used in the video files that you have tested? Which device are you using? Is your device updated to the latest OS version? See if your device supports such a resolution. Have you been able to try rendering using a different device? Also, note that export quality in the GoPro App is automatically set to 1080p / 60 FPS. Let us know what you find out. 

Highlighted
Tourist

I have a Samsung Galaxy S8 Active, and I don't see anywhere that I can change the resolution. I also tried on my girlfriend's iPhone 9 and it also produced the same poor quality. Didn't check to see if there's a way to change the resolution on that phone. I've deleted the app completely and reinstalled on my phone. Her phone was the first time it had ever been downloaded so both should be up to date.
Highlighted
Tourist

My device is Pixel 3a, updated to the latest OS version.
My file is recorded in 1080p 60fps, and the output from GoPro app is the same. My phone is able to play both of them, as well as higher resolutions and frame rates so it shouldn't be a problem.

GoPro app outputs 1080p 60fps, but the bitrate is 3-4 times lower, hence the bad quality.

Quik app produces videos in much higher quality.

Again, by quality I don't mean resolution and frame rate. My input file is 1080@60, Quik and GoPro apps output are also 1080@60. The GoPro app produces a video with 3-4 lower bitrate than the input file from camera and output file from Quik.

In Quik, you can set the quality in settings, but in GoPro there is no such setting.

Highlighted
Tourist

Please take a look at this screenshot from Quik app. It has this switch to enable pro quality. GoPro app doesn't have this setting and always saves in low (not "pro") quality.

Please just copy this feature from Quik and it will be good :)
Screenshot_20200129-232049.png
Highlighted
GoPro

@greenwave0725 @hunter3382 

Thanks for the report / feedback. We have a ticket on this matter, the Team will investigate and decide on the best course of action.