Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Hiker

Auto upload to cloud symbols

[ New ]
On the GoPro app, in the media section on the app sub section page (hopefully you understand that - is there anyway for me to upload a photo if not?) anyway I can see all the photos and videos I’ve downloaded from my GoPro to the app. In the top right hand corner of some of the video there is a white cloud symbol. One white cloud symbol is a closed outline with what looks like clock hands inside. The other white cloud symbol is also an outline but with an opening at the bottom and a white arrow coming up through it. The videos that don’t have any white symbols appear in the cloud section on the app also so I’m guessing the symbols have something to do with whether they’re waiting to be uploaded or something. If anyone can shed any light on this matter that’d be great.

Accepted Solutions
Explorer

Re: Auto upload to cloud symbols

[ New ]
Honestly, neither laptop is very powerful, especially for video. The Quik Desktop works fine for offloading media and uploading to cloud but it is considerably slower at cloud uploading than on a mobile device. You can also just set the camera to auto upload once it has completed charging. When traveling, this can be more problematic as it needs to be a WiFi service that does not require a second authorization (many hotels require a second acknowledgement on a website for the internet to work). however, the desktop app will work. Also, you can log on to the gopro.com website (not the same as logging into this member to member support forum) and upload directly.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Hiker

[ New ]
Found the information for this, however I do have some other questions.
1. When I connect my GoPro to my phone (Through the GoPro app) I have the 4G symbol in the corner of my phone and in my phone settings my WiFi is connected to to my GoPro. Sorry if this seems like a stupid question but how am I using the internet, like it I were to use Facebook or Google or whatever whilst connected to the GoPro, am I using my phones internet allowance? How much data would I be using downloading videos to the app and to the cloud.

2. It seems you can only upload to cloud once the media has been downloaded to your GoPro app. However you can only download to the app if you have sufficient space on your phone. So am I limited by my phones memory? If so I don’t understand the point of the cloud capabilities any help will be appreciated.
Explorer

[ New ]
By default, the GoPro app will only upload to the cloud if the mobile device is connected to a Wi-Fi network. You can change this to use the mobile data if you want, but the app will not use your data unless you change this setting. If you are connected to the camera, then yes, any internet activity that you do (Facebook, Google,..) would have to use your mobile device's data. The camera does not provide internet access. If you are just talking about using the app/cloud uploading, then no, your mobile data would not be used as long as you are connected to WiFi with internet access.

There are a few different ways to upload to the cloud. You can set the camera to auto upload once it has completed charging, you can upload via the Quik Desktop app, you can log on directly to gopro.com and upload via your account media , and you can upload with the GoPro mobile app. the mobile app is the fastest and most consistent.

Yes, you do need to have free space on your phone to acquire the media and then have it uploaded to the cloud, however you can delete the media stored in the app once it's complete. You will still have access to it via the Cloud.
Hiker

[ New ]
Appreciate the response, that all makes sense. It’s a shame about the phone memory thing though. I was hoping to be able to edit videos whilst away from home. I did think about deleting once on the cloud but my phone will only allow me to download about 2 mins of footage so this would be very tiresome if I had a lot of footage.

Seeing as though you mentioned the Quik desktop app, does this work well for anyone else, I tried to view/edit some footage on their and it was so glitchy/jumpy. I then tried with just one video less than a minute long and I got the same problems, sometimes the programs just froze altogether. I assumed this was because my laptop wasn’t powerful enough, however I used my mums laptop and got the same problems.

My laptop:
Intel Core i3 (2.4GHz, 3MB L3 Cache)
Intel HD Graphics 4000, up to 1760MB Dynamic Video Memory
4GB DDR3 Memory

Mums Laptop: - Microsoft Surface Pro 4
Intel Core i5
Intel HD Graphics 520
I think it also have 4GB of RAM
Hiker

[ New ]
Just checked my mums laptop it says it has 8GB installed RAM
Explorer

[ New ]
Honestly, neither laptop is very powerful, especially for video. The Quik Desktop works fine for offloading media and uploading to cloud but it is considerably slower at cloud uploading than on a mobile device. You can also just set the camera to auto upload once it has completed charging. When traveling, this can be more problematic as it needs to be a WiFi service that does not require a second authorization (many hotels require a second acknowledgement on a website for the internet to work). however, the desktop app will work. Also, you can log on to the gopro.com website (not the same as logging into this member to member support forum) and upload directly.
Hiker

[ New ]
Thanks for the response.