Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Tourist

Auto upload not working or incredibly slow

[ New ]

So, I have a GoPro 7 black. All my auto upload settings are correct as I have had to go through the laborious task of waiting for files to upload before. In this case I have uploaded from the GoPro to my phone app and I can see all the files there in the app. 6 videos ranging in size from 10 -17 minutes. My issue is that it does not seem to be uploading to the cloud. One file is showing that it has but it is not showing up in the cloud. It has the cloud icon with a tick in it. The other 5 files all have a cloud with clock hands in them. I presume that means they are queued but they have been there like that for 3 days now. I have been connected to a very strong wifi connection for 3 days now and nothing has changed. It is incredibly frustrating because my phone storage is full while I am waiting for all this to happen and I have had to delete apps off my phone just so the --bleep-- thing works.

Is there another way to do this? Can I upload using the desktop app instead and drag files into it for upload or does it have to be done via the phone app only?

Is there anyway at all to speed up the upload process?

Thanks in advance.

GoPro

Re: Auto upload not working or incredibly slow

[ New ]

Hi @andrewd83

Sorry for any trouble caused.

Are these regular or 360 videos?

Would you mind testing a browser upload, please?

Go to gopro.com/login and select Add Media.

For reference: How to Add Media to GoPro PLUS

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

GoPro

[ New ]

@andrewd83 another option is to setup the camera for auto-upload. That way you can leave the camera plugged in and it will upload to the cloud.

https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/Auto-upload-your-footage-to-the-cloud-with-GoPro-PLUS/ta-p/388304

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi Ej,

thanks for your replies. I have since just dragged and dropped my files into the Quik desktop app and uploiaded to the cloud that way. It was still VERY slow. For 6 files totalling about 1 1/2 hours of footage it took 3 1/2 days to upload! 

I am in Australia and I know our internet speeds are pretty bad, my upload speed was around 2-3 meg, but that is still a ridiculous amount of time. Still, at least that way it doesn't fill up my phone storage.

Oh and for your reference they were regular video files filmed at 1080 and not 4K. Ranging from 6 minutes to 17minutes for the longest.

Thanks again, Andrew.

GoPro

[ New ]
Ai yai. Unfortunately QDA is our slowest upload mechanism. Can you try the web uploader and see if it’s any better ? Please tag me so I respond.
Tourist

[ New ]

Can you let me know what QDA is and how do I access the web uploader?

Thanks again.

Tourist

[ New ]

@epicboost16310 actually I think I just worked out QDA is Quik desktop app and to do a web upload I loogin to Google Plus and add the media there.

Sorry, I'll let you know how it goes.

Tourist

[ New ]

@epicboost16310 I just uploaded a small 276meg file. I plugged my cam directly into my laptop, logged in to Google Plus and went to add media. I located the cam in my documents and opened it up that way. It is an MP4 file and it still took around 15-20 mins to upload that. It didn't work the first time I tried by the way.

Does that time sound about right to you?

GoPro

[ New ]

Thanks @andrewd83. That seems to be about 2-3 Mbps upload based on the file size and time taken. If you go to fast.com and after it calculates your download speed, click on "Show More Info". What is the upload speed reported there ?

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi @epicboost16310 . I went to fast.com and currently my upload speed is 3.5mbs, so I guess that is about where you thjought it would be.

So just to be clear, you suggest I log in to GoPro plus via a browser and then upload through that rather than going through Quik desktop app?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @andrewd83. Yes. Please login to plus.gopro.com. Once logged in, select "Add Media" then upload your media as instructed. 

GoPro

[ New ]
Yes. That’s right. The desktop app is our slowest upload mechanism right now. The other option(that I personally use) is setting up your camera for direct uploads to the cloud. It’s very convenient and once setup just requires the camera to be powered through a wall charger.
Hiker

[ New ]
Serious!! I thought the new 9Black will have that issue sorted; it had been three days to upload images using the auto uploading feature what a joke..
GoPro

[ New ]
Hi, @redcave84125

Upload to the Cloud via the mobile app can take a very long time. For example, if you are using your phone for other stuff or if you go in and out of internet service that’s going to delay the upload.

The desktop app is also a slow upload mechanism.
-> If you want the media up fast or if you have large files and a lot of them , it’s best to use camera as a hub, that is that the camera uploads to the Cloud directly > plug in the camera overnight so it will upload while you sleep with no interruptions.
See this article here on how to set this up -> https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/Auto-upload-your-footage-to-the-cloud-with-GoPro-PLUS/ta-p/388304
Hiker

[ New ]

i am trying to upload diorrectly from the 9 Black.. painfully slow 

@haindash wrote:
Hi, @redcave84125

Upload to the Cloud via the mobile app can take a very long time. For example, if you are using your phone for other stuff or if you go in and out of internet service that’s going to delay the upload.

The desktop app is also a slow upload mechanism.
-> If you want the media up fast or if you have large files and a lot of them , it’s best to use camera as a hub, that is that the camera uploads to the Cloud directly > plug in the camera overnight so it will upload while you sleep with no interruptions.
See this article here on how to set this up -> https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/Auto-upload-your-footage-to-the-cloud-with-GoPro-PLUS/ta-p/388304

GoPro

[ New ]

@redcave84125 your upload speed from what I can see is between 1-2 Mbps. I see that you have used QDA and iOS in the past with your Hero7 and with Hero9 have switched to a combination of iOS and direct camera uploads. The file sizes that you have are not huge. We have users who are pushing even more into the cloud successfully. Let me try and collect some more information from you. First, can you go to https://fastly.com and then click on "Show more info" to get your upload speed ? If there is a mismatch with what I posted above then we can look further at remedial measures.

Thanks

Hiker

[ New ]
My upload speed is between 25mbps to 35 mbps using my iPhone to check
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @redcave84125, in order to debug this further, do you mind uploading a couple of large-ish files from the web uploader ?

https://plus.gopro.com/media-library 

Any videos over 200 MB will suffice. Once you are done, let me know and I'll take a look at what is happening.

Thanks

Hiker

[ New ]

@epicboost16310 wrote:

Hi @redcave84125, in order to debug this further, do you mind uploading a couple of large-ish files from the web uploader ?

https://plus.gopro.com/media-library 

Any videos over 200 MB will suffice. Once you are done, let me know and I'll take a look at what is happening.

Thanks

Just uploading GX013653 from a PC Windows 10 x64 version 2004 using Firefox..

Hiker

[ New ]
and GX 013653 GX 013666 thank you
GoPro

[ New ]

@redcave84125 both of those are already there in your library and were uploaded on October 3rd/4th by your camera. They probably failed from the web because they are duplicates. Do you have any that are new and not in your library ?

Thanks

Hiker

[ New ]

they showed as successfully uploaded.. i will get new photage today or tomrrow and upload.. thank you

By the way, I am trying to get hold of GoPro support "being a nightmare to connect" 1- re GPS not working to get the stickers 2- what is their plan for desktops app .. hoesntly i am conidering returning the camera and buying an Insta360.

GoPro

[ New ]

@redcave84125  thanks. What's not working with the GPS ? Can you elaborate ? Is there a video you have in the cloud that has this problem ? If so, I can take a look next week.

Thanks

Hiker

[ New ]

seems like a recognised issue:

https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/No-GPS-signal-on-HERO-9/td-p/752494/page/2

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthread.php?87792-GoPro-Hero-9-Black-Support

@epicboost16310 wrote:

@redcave84125  thanks. What's not working with the GPS ? Can you elaborate ? Is there a video you have in the cloud that has this problem ? If so, I can take a look next week.

Thanks

Hiker

[ New ]

@epicboost16310 wrote:

@redcave84125 both of those are already there in your library and were uploaded on October 3rd/4th by your camera. They probably failed from the web because they are duplicates. Do you have any that are new and not in your library ?

Thanks

Just uploaded three files.. thank you

Screenshot 2020-10-10 141706.png