Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Hiker

After updating the GoPro app, the problem that Protune settings cannot be changed from the GoPro app

[ New ]

After updating the GoPro app, the problem that Protune settings cannot be changed from the GoPro app.

Updated the GoPro app to the latest firmware. (IOS version 7.3.1)

The smartphone I'm using is "iPhone 12 Pro Max 512GB".

Please see the image below.

After updating the GoPro app to the latest firmware, there is a problem that the Protune settings cannot be changed from the GoPro app.

The camera I'm using is "HERO 9 Black".

The firmware version of HERO9 Black is "v1.5".

I re-updated the camera to the latest firmware from the URL below, but there was no improvement.

https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero9-black

The microSD card used is "SanDisk Extreme (UHS-1 U3 / V30) A2 64GB".

This bug also occurs on models other than HERO9 Black.

@haindash 

@mariustanya 

@aenriquez 

@jefft 

Please fix this problem as soon as possible.

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb.png
GoPro

Re: After updating the GoPro app, the problem that Protune settings cannot be changed from the GoPro

[ New ]
Hi,

The ability to change Protune settings and camera beep volume are no longer on the GoPro app. Protune and camera beep settings can still be controlled on the camera. If you are looking for other ways to change these settings, visit The Inside Line for recommended tips and tricks.  We are also continuing to develop new features and ways of accessing existing camera settings to be most useful to GoPro users.

https://gopro.com/en/us/news/gopro-app-protune-feature-updates
Tourist

Re: After updating the GoPro app, the problem that Protune settings cannot be changed from the GoPro

[ New ]

Was this done purely to drive sales of the Remote?  

Please put back the ability to change Pro Tune settings on the iPhone app - it's baffling why you would remove this, without explain.

We've paid for the camera and expect the functionality that we paid for - detailed remote access is key.

Hiker

[ New ]

I lost a half days worth of shots because they were underexposed and I couldn't access the aperture settings on the fly without the remote app. These settings have always been there on the app and its one of the main reasons I use it. A customer service rep told me this: "The ability to change Protune settings and camera beep volume are no longer on the GoPro app. Protune and camera beep settings can still be controlled on the camera. If you are looking for other ways to change these settings. Visit The Inside Line for recommended tips and tricks. We are also continuing to develop new features and ways of accessing existing camera settings to be most useful to GoPro users."

I can't begin to understand why GoPro would take away the optiion to control the camera settings remotely through the app. If I would have known that, I wouldn't have allowed the update to the app. 

Tourist

[ New ]

I saw a post saying that this all ($9.99 from Apple Appstore) gives all the settings we need, and is actually faster and more reliable than the wifi connection required with GoPro's native iOS app. 

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ble-remote-for-gopro/id1526486112

I will test this out tomorrow. If it works, it shows that the capability is there and GoPro are choosing to make their product intentionally worse than it can be, and trying to extract money from us. This isn't cool and customers will remember being treated like this. 

GoPro - if you are reading this, please just admit this was a mistake and put it back. And if the BLE app has better connectivity over bluetooth, why not hire that guy and make your product better?

Will report back tomorrow.

Hiker

[ New ]

So how was it? Did it work? Do you know if it would work with Max?

Sightseer

[ New ]

Adjusting Protune settings using the camera is a lot more difficult than adjusting the settings using the app. To adjust the GoPro 9's Protune settings you have to push on the GoPro's screen exactly right just to get into the settings menu to begin with (it typically takes me several tries and I have small fingers) and then you have to scroll down to the Protune settings without accidentally opening up another setting. And this requires having the camera right in front of you. If I have the camera set up on the ground or mounted up high or wherever I have to remove the GoPro from that location and hold it in front of me to adjust the settings. That's a waste of time and forces me to have to frame up the shot a second time (more than that if I am bracketing my exposures).

GoPro claims its cameras are easy to use but eliminating the Protune settings from the Quik app has made its cameras user unfriendly.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Hi, new GoPro user here, I'm actually considering returning my GoPro reading this post, I purchased it from Costco about 4 days ago so I'm well within the clear to do this. At first I got the GoPro, fresh and excited, then I found out I had to get a GoPro media mod to add the necessary ports to the camera. Kind of lame, but fair enough since some may never use these features and a smaller and more rugged device is ideal for many. Whatever.

Then I needed to buy an additional cable because the media mod didn't come with an HDMI cable or the hdmi to micro adapter. Whatever. Tons of premium products would have included this, but again, Whatever.

Then after doing some outdoor tests I found out the microphone built into the $70 media mod kit isn't even very good and a $50 mic from another brand is essentially necessary if the air moves at all because even with the design and the included windscreen, it doesn't work at all with any kind of movement or wind (weird, it's an action cam and the media mod kit is supposed to make it more ideal for streamers/vloggers/youtubers). So I paid $70 for a couple cold shoe mounts and an HDMI out. Whatever.

I said whatever to all of this anti-consumer BS, while I enjoy some aspects of this camera, there is a lot to be desired given the asking price. Finally, after forgiving all of this, I notice that protune settings are greyed out in the app, I'm thinking "ah, I bet they prioritize iOS", so I install the app over there only to find the same things.

I finally come to this forum because having to unmount my camera and go into the fairly awful touch ui (compared to a modern phone) and adjust settings just to remount it, connect it to HDMI out and test is a COMPLETELY unusable work flow, only to find out that it's all but certainly been removed to force the functionality into YET ANOTHER required accessory.

I hope I'm wrong here, I'm not trying to be unreasonable here, but please explain to me why the controls were removed from the app and why can third party paid apps access the same conrols??