Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Access files on GoPro SD card directly in Android app

Is there any way to access the files on the SD card in my GoPro directly from within the GoPro app, without transferring them to the phone's internal memory first?

I am trying to find a workaround for the fact that my phone's internal memory is quite full. It is not practical for me to transfer the videos into the GoPro app first because of this reason. Transferring by Wifi is also really slow.

However I can insert the SD card into the phone, use a Micro SD card reader, and connect the camera in MTP mode via a OTG cable without any issue.

Last night when playing around with this, a little SD card icon appeated in the GoPro app menu, and it appeared to allow me to select my device, but the feature appears to be broken, because once I selected it, it returned to the main app as if I've never selected it. Unfortunately I cannot replucate it this morning :-( otherwise I could provide screenshots.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice. I know I can easily transfer the videos using other apps but this does not appear to preserve the highlights that I've added in the camera.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Access files on GoPro SD card directly in Android app

[ Edited ]

Hi @aletthebrave,

The GoPro App will be installed and save your media contents into your internal memory by default. When you download footage from the camera, the file first goes to the GoPro app's media folder, but is up to 3x faster than before as it no longer needs to transcode your files. Check out this article for more info.

Using Quik Key is also an option, however, this device requires using GoPro App to access and download your media contents.

You can transfer the downloaded GoPro media from the internal storage to the SD card in your Android device using the steps here.

Alternatively, since GoPro App saves your media files into your phone's internal memory by default, I suggest that you may use a micro-USB or USB-C SD card reader (for mobile devices), if you have one available, and directly transfer the contents to the SD card in your mobile device. This process doesn't require the use of GoPro App since you should be able to access the files in the SD card using your phone's file explorer app.

Kind Regards,
Ann

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Access files on GoPro SD card directly in Android app

[ Edited ]

Hi @aletthebrave,

The GoPro App will be installed and save your media contents into your internal memory by default. When you download footage from the camera, the file first goes to the GoPro app's media folder, but is up to 3x faster than before as it no longer needs to transcode your files. Check out this article for more info.

Using Quik Key is also an option, however, this device requires using GoPro App to access and download your media contents.

You can transfer the downloaded GoPro media from the internal storage to the SD card in your Android device using the steps here.

Alternatively, since GoPro App saves your media files into your phone's internal memory by default, I suggest that you may use a micro-USB or USB-C SD card reader (for mobile devices), if you have one available, and directly transfer the contents to the SD card in your mobile device. This process doesn't require the use of GoPro App since you should be able to access the files in the SD card using your phone's file explorer app.

Kind Regards,
Ann