Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Mobile
Hiker

360 Trimmed media appears blackened when rendered

[ New ]

It used to work, but now when I take a 360 video from my Fusion and trim a piece to render into my Media, the video is mostly black.  You can still hear it fine and you can see VERY bright things, but everything else looks black.  Even if I take things in my media that were fine before and try to play them within the GoPro app for iOS, they are now blacked out.  The preview thumbnail is not, but when you play the clip it is messed up.  

Apparently you can only attach one image.  This is my media bin.  The top image is one I rendered out today.  The preview is black and when you play it back, its black except for the sky right above.  The bottom left is one that was rendered and used a month ago.  The preview looks good but when you actually play it in 360 mode it is black except for the sky.

IMG_4297.PNG
GoPro

Re: 360 Trimmed media appears blackened when rendered

[ New ]

Thank you for sharing, @faststoke04651. Sorry to hear about the trouble. Is the same issue observed with Fusion Studio? to verify, does this only happen when Trim is done on the footage? Have you been able to try viewing the rendered file in the GoPro Player?

Which phone are you using and which OS is it on? Do you have the latest version of the GoPro App installed? A new version was released last week. 

These details will help us further isolate the issue. We hope to hear back from you. Thanks!

Hiker

[ New ]

Thanks for the reply.  

I am unable to really get much of anything to work with Fusion Studio on Mac so I haven't actually tried that yet.  It will take a day some significant time but I'll try to see if I can get a clip over into Fusion Studio to start with...problem is that I usually have to trim it on the iPhone first to get anything to work and that is the problem...

What is interesting is that an old clip that was trimmed and works fine (and is part of a video montage I have completed) does not work when played on the iPhone now. I do have a couple clips here and I'll render and share them over to the computer and see what they look like in GoPro Player.  And...it looks the same.  I can see the clouds, everything else is black. 

I am doing this on an iPhone 11 Pro with iOS 14.2 Public Beta 4.  But the same thing was happening when on iOS 14.0.  I am running the GoPro app version 7.2 (4236) since 10/21 which did not fix the issue.  The GoPro Fusion camera is running firmware 1.80.

GoPro

[ New ]
Hi,

So you have this behaviour with any new Fusion files that you take, it's not just some particular files?
Could you share a screencast with us?
Could you share the file?
Hiker

[ New ]

It happens with any new video I take or if I look at old video.  So the video appears to be correct, it appears to be something in the trimming or exporting process.  What I'm really trying to do is find a way to stitch the video together so I can work with it.  That process is where it goes wrong.

I'm happy to share any of these files with you.  What would be most helpful?  Do you want the export file that doesn't play right in GoPro Player, etc?  Or I could try to get the front and back raw files from the SD card and send those along (though they are huge so it'll take some uploading).  

I will make a screen cast of what I am doing right now and see if I can upload that for you....

Hiker

[ New ]

Haindash, I sent you a PM with a link to a screencapture of what is happening.  Lots of details in there.  For others that might be following, I did 5 trim operations on different segments and different days and one of them turned out to work and the other 4 ended up black.  The 1 that worked, another trim on that same day did not. 

I notice that some of the previews in the Media bin show a square preview around the video and others are round.  Realized the first one was done on a square clip and the others are on the round.  Trying another square clip...and it works!  Maybe the issue is that only the first 7:00 segment of a recording gives you a valid trim.  

Trying the second segment of the first good clip...and it is black. 

Going to another set of SD cards for another day and checking square clips there.  Random segment from a square preview...and that works!  

So the situation seems to be that when the preview is showing a Square with the tiny planet view inside it then it works.  If the preview is showing a circle with focus on the rear camera then it comes out black.  Maybe that can help track this issue down?!

Hiker

[ New ]

Just adding some additonal datapoints.  I got my new iPhone 12 Pro today.  It is loaded with iOS 14.1.  Loaded up the current GoPro mobile app and trimmed some clips.  Exactly the same behavior.  If you trim a clip that is square in the preview window (the first 7:00 segment) then it works right.  If you go beyond that, the video is blacked.

Hiker

[ New ]

Wondering if anyone else is seeing this same issue?  What I see is that if I choose a clip like the one I'm pointing to in this pic, it works fine.  If I choose any of the clips with the round previews, then the video is blacked out.  The square preview clips are the first clips in a segment.  If I record more than 7 minutes at a time (which I almost always do) then it has to break the video into 7:00 segments.  The first one works and all of the rest do not.    Anyone else?

IMG_0043.jpg