Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Sightseer

very slow upload

[ New ]

I have a hero 7 black and the gopro plus account.  When uploading from my camera, it is very slow.  Hours on 'starting upload.'  Is this normal?

Vic

GoPro

Re: very slow upload

[ New ]

Hi @vthed

Upload rate is dependent on the speed of your connection.

Have you tried using a different network?

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

I have the same problem, just bought the gopro plus subscription and it is super slow.

Im uploading via the quik app on my imac desktop.

I have 1000Mbps fiber connection and I only get between 14-16Mbps upload speed.

I live in Sweden and and the program little snitch on my mac tells me the speed and that Im uploading to s3.us-west-2.amazonaws.com,

if that is the case I understand why my speed is low .

are there not any other amazon servers in europe that I could upload to instead of server on the west cost, when I live in sweden?

Tourist

[ New ]

I'm having the same problem.. It's painfully slow! I'm far from impressed with it. 

Tourist

Painfully slow upload from hero7 to gopro plus!

[ New ]

My husband gave me the Hero7 as a present (i'm a cyclist) - for safety and also to capture some of the beautiful routes I cycle in different countries and cities.

1. Used it for the first time skiing a few weeks ago.

A. media was easy to download into my phone and computer, etc..

2. Decided to join the gopro plus - to download directly to the cloud and not use my phone or computer memory.

A. Started downloading into gopro plus five days ago - only downloaded 10 out of 31 videos so far!

B. Tried to download to computer with Quik and then add to gopro plus, still nothing happening (well at a speed of a snail or sloath!)

Can someone please tell me if there's an easy way? at the moment the gopro plus seems like a waste of money! Any suggestions? I'm getting ready to go to Majorca for a cycling trip and would like to be able to download the video each day.

Many thanks,

Arelis

Sightseer

Re: Painfully slow upload from hero7 to gopro plus!

[ New ]

I have a very fast wifi.  I found a much better upload rate using manual upload.  Still not fast, but better than auto for some reason .

Sightseer

[ New ]

I have the same problem.

Super, super, super slow.

I can upload to drop-box with no issue, but uploading to gopro plus is exhausting. This could very well end up being the reason I cancel.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Yeah I'm having the exact same problem.  Upload has been going for days!  And I'm still only 5% of my videos uploaded.  I'm curious if there is anyone who has actually had a good experience with go pro plus?  I haven't heard one good thing about go pro plus thus far.  I'm thinking I'll cancel as well.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @bearjosh

Plus upload may take sometime but it should import.

Do you remember if these are chaptered files?

Also, if you need the files immediately, you may go for other cloud services.

Thanks!

Ej

Sightseer

[ New ]

This is the primary reason i would cancel my gorpo plus account as well.

Pointless to pay for a service that takes so long to uplaod and use.

Gopro must do something about this otherwise they are greatly losing reputation amoung their loyal customers.

Yaz

Hiker

[ New ]

https://gopro-media-uploads.s3.us-west-2.amazonaws.com seems to be hardocded in the
GoProShareService, which is very unfortunate.

This resolves (CNAME) to s3-r-w.us-west-2.amazonaws.com. This means, according to AWS Regions and Endpoints , that european users have to talk with a server in US West (Oregon). Robot Mad

I've tried to trick the DNS-Resolution  to a european server. This works, but i see TLS-Errors in the GoProShareService log. So no upload is happening.

Hiker

[ New ]

See my second post here

Gopro AmazonCloud Storage Location Option

Sightseer

[ New ]
Two days running to complete 43 of 100 files. Shot at 1080. Not even big files. Gopro Cloud is terrible. I will not renew.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @enjoue

How are you uploading your media to the cloud - is it via auto upload, through Quik for desktop, or manually through gopro.com? 

Also, which file types are you uploading - photos? videos? a combination?

Check if there are chaptered files among the files as these can only be uploaded by auto upload or Quik. 

Also, see if there is anything beyond 450MB as they might be taking longer than usual to be uploaded manually than through Quik. 

Let us know what you find out. You observation will help a lot in isolating the source of the trouble. We hope to hear back from you. 

Thanks, 
Marius 

Hiker

[ New ]

Please make this test

S3 Amazon GoPro Test

and tell me the percentage improvment.

You can't do anything to make it better . . it's a matter for gopro and their Amazon S3 Cloud design (which is terrible)

Tourist

[ New ]

I tried the test and this is the resault connecting to west 2

Skärmavbild 2019-06-25 kl. 00.42.21.png

but I don't know what that means

Tourist

[ New ]

sorry double post

Hiker

[ New ]

@eidurg46712 wrote:

I tried the test and this is the resault connecting to west 2

270% improvment

but I don't know what that means

US-West-2 is the cloudlocation of the gopro-media-files.

That means, that the upload could be much faster, if gopro inc would

Tourist

[ New ]
Ok thank you. Now I just hope they see this post and fix the problem
Sightseer

[ New ]

Same problem here. Uploading from Norway..

Gopro needs to do something about this..

Uten navn.jpg

Tourist

[ New ]

I live in Singapore and travel alot and I take lots of photos and videos.  I'm trying to upload 120gig of data and its taken me a week running my computer 24/7 and I still have 20 gig left to load.  For me the gopro is just a tool and I should not have to go through this level of techical discussion only to explain why I can't do what gopro is promising that it can do.   When I play back from the cloud it is very choppy so i'm not sure if its worth it, unless Gopro can fix this I may start looking into other solutions to store my videos.

Tourist

[ New ]

Same for me - I came here to see if I was the only one having this.  This is madness.

Why the UK is trying to upload to AWS in the US I've no idea.  Please fix this, GoPro - this is ruining my experience presently.

Sightseer

[ New ]

I'm uploading from the west coast of the us and my upload is still taking forever and ever and ever and ever

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello!

It can take quite a while to upload through Quik for Desktop, especially if you are uploading a large number of files to the cloud. For example, the initial sync with the cloud or a large upload could take hours, depending on how much content is being moved. After the first sync, we recommend importing consistently to Quik for Desktop to lessen the wait time. 

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Aragon - thank you for commenting on the post, and please don't take this as a rude reply, but we are already aware that the upload is shockingly slow - slower than any comparable service and slower than it really should be. What we want is a fix for this.

Are you aware if the GoPro tech team, first of all acknowledge this is an issue, secondly that they have pinpointed use cases that help identify a solution, and thirdly are working on a solution. If so, do we also have an idea when it will be fixed?

i think there's quite a lot of people see this is as a huge issue. Unfortunately this issue couples for me with my inability for the auto or manual upload to work directly from the device - which is covered by scores of other forum posts and people with the same issue. I am back weeks from trips to Africa and other locations, and my data is still not uploaded - a poor CX to be honest.

Your response is almost saying 'use your camera less'.  If you're going out every day over two weeks and shooting video, that's a lot do data to upload.  What should we do? Stop using the camera?

if you have any leverage, please escalate this topic to the tech team.

Thank you

GoPro

[ New ]

We have already raised this to the team @graybeach21746

As suggested above, if you need the files immediately, you can use other cloud services for your files.

Thanks!

Ej

Sightseer

[ New ]

I Hear your Pain!   I have finally uploaded my vids and photos to my laptop, where I was hoping they would go straight to the cloud now I am trying to upload to create but nothing!  It lets me do nothing!!  I am so frustrated!

Tourist

[ New ]

I am facing the same problem. 40mbit upload so I should be able to upload at least ~15 GB an hour. Speedtest.net is backing up this upload speed. Though what I am looking at is really sloooooow. So the failure is definitly on go pro's end.

Sightseer

[ New ]

This 🙌🏼 I use AWS for my business, M3 Digital. It should not be a hard fix to be honest. I find myself extremely frustrated with the rate at which my videos upload. This alone will make me not renew my membership unless it is corrected by my next billing cycle. I can't seem to find a way around it! I have been uploading for 15 minutes from my ssd, and this is what the status is 🙄

When can the community expect a solution, @aragon1006?

Screen Shot 2019-10-11 at 1.02.00 PM.png

Tourist

[ New ]

This is insane. Why in the world even offer a product that is so inferior to the rest of the GoPro family. I'm am cancelling my subscription unless something happens in the next 24 hours to advise us we are doing something incorrectly or the system is having maintenance issues. Dropbox and other Clouds don't seem to have a problem? :o( 

Tourist

[ New ]
Very slow here too. I'm on a 100mbps up and download speed *at work and its hours and days I'm waiting to upload. And even when its uploaded it takes ages to appear on the quick app. And then I have to wait hours again to download to edit using quick. This website is shocking to use too. And I'm far far far from impressed. Great having footage. Crap not being able to do anything with it...
Sightseer

[ New ]

The cloud upload speed is ridiculous. I have 250Mbit network and it took two hours to upload a 28 sec video.

Tourist

[ New ]

It is mid December and the terribly slow upload speeds are still there.  I'm in my initial free month - doesn't look like I will continue.  Rather than quickly uploading and sharing my recent video, this service takes hours.  The slowness is beyond slow - I actually wonder how they make it so slow.

My upload speed is 1,000 Mbps, (gig fiber), so problem is not on my end.  

Sightseer

[ New ]

I can't believe how slow the upload is for videos.  This shouldn't be that difficult to resolve.  

Tourist

[ New ]
I have a gopro Max I bought for a hunting trip in November 2019. I almost gave up on it uploading the videos, some of which were locked up video with only the sound coming out in real time. I used it at family Christmas party and left it running for a half hour a couple times...it is taking hours and hours to upload the first video. I thought it wasnt connecting right or that I was doing something wrong. It says 1/25....still with a spec of the blue circle showing uploading. Doesnt seem to make progress. Im pretty frustrated especially for paying 50.00 for it. I was going to try desktop apps and just pull the SD card but it doesnt sound like a great option either. Being advised to use a different cloud does not seem like a CEOs answer to a problem their company is having..I paid for this Cloud and I paid for it to work for these wonderful cameras we all love.. Being advised to use camera less doest seem like an option developers would give in to either so please...get this figured out lets us all know its a recognized problem being fixed, and our money was well spent.
Sightseer

[ New ]

I have 100down 20 up, and it takes over an hour to upload 1GB whereas Google Drive, Dropbox, iCloud takes few minutes. 

Sightseer

[ New ]
This still being a problem is extremely frustrating and unacceptable. My internet is not the problem. I have a 453 Mbit/s upload speed, but uploading to the cloud directly from the camera is ridiculously slow. It's been uploading for days and just a few files has been uploaded. The only reason I'm even uploading from the camera is because of the even more ridiculous reason...that all the files imported to the app is saved on my phones internal storage and not the SD card that has plenty of storage. Uploading to the cloud from the app is slow, but works. But that's not an option because I can't set the phones SD card as default storage. I can do it for every other app except the GoPro app. This also makes using other cloud services impossible. I don't have a computer, but still decided to spend alot of money on a Max and accessories because the app would be enough for my videos. If I would have known there's no way for me to use my footage I would have never bought it. The problems myself and many others are experiencing would be easy for GoPro to fix. But the fact that I keep finding posts from people complaining about these problems for years without GoPro doing anything about it leaves me with absolutely no hope. The cameras are good PLEASE make the software just as good!
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @vitallight32877

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Would you be able to test uploading via gopro.com?

Please copy a video from the app to your phone.

Login to your PLUS account, go to Media then upload the file.

See if the upload behaves the same.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

d.a.m.n now it even worse 1Mbps- 17Mbps connenting to gopro-media-uploads.s3.us-west-2.amazonaws.com

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @eidurg46712

Is this when using your device's browser?

Thanks!

Ej