Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Highlighted
Tourist

very low upload speed

I have a 40Mb upload connection to the internet and all other applications work. 

(onedrive, nextcloud, downloads, uploads)

Except GoPro with the Plus Account. For months I have had only a speed of

max. 1.5Mb. Why?

Frank

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: very low upload speed

Sorry to hear about the trouble, @macfan62. I would recommend when uploading files bigger then 4GB to try to use a wired connection. The upload speed and whether or not that file will upload will be based off of your network.

The amount of time necessary to upload your footage is dependent on a number of factors, namely your network speed and amount of content. Uploading large size of contents may take time to complete.

Highlighted
Tourist

Thank you very much for your feedback.

No single file is larger than 1GB.

Most files (90%) are smaller than 400MB.

I only work with cable, no WLAN.

All other cloud services (MS onedrive, netxtcloud, owncloud, Adobe Creative Cloud,...) 

work with up to 4,9MB/s (39Mbit) upstream. My internet connection provider can be max. 40Mbit.

Download speed is between 1.5 and 2.5MB (=20Mbit). All other .... up until 100Mbit

EXEPT GoPro Cloud ...Smiley Sad

Highlighted
Explorer

It's most likely coming from GoPro's server and network traffic. Worldwide you have a lot of people uploading media to their cloud service. It also seems that Quik takes a low priority purposely as to not take up the users bandwidth.

I mostly just start up Quik and let it run during the night when I want it to upload to the GoPro Plus cloud. However, I've been doing this less lately as I've found that if I allow the mobile app to grab the media off my camera for Quik Story, it uploads to the cloud much faster.
Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks a lot, but that doesn't really solve the problem with GoPro.
I am of the opinion that GoPro does far too little.

Unfortunately, GoPro obviously has no idea, because the hint from GoPro Support is not helpful.

Highlighted
Sightseer

I just signed up to GoPro Plus this past weekend thinking "what an awesome service!" - but after getting home from my trip and trying for 2 days to upload footage, I will be cancelling my subscription (thank goodness for free trial periods!).

All the advice I've read from GoPro representatives here on the forums is patronising and simply passing the blame to the user's network. I've worked in IT longer than some of you have been alive, and when people are saying that we have 40-100mb upload links, regardless of the physical connection type (wired/wireless) and yet uploads are taking *days* to complete - then the issue is ON YOUR END.  Stop being so cheap and pay for better services backing your paid offering.  My upload has been running for around 28 hours now and has uploaded 10GB.  Absolutely pathetic!

If you're reading this and considering using this service; save your time and don't bother, or at least make sure you test your uploads before you actually start paying them any money.

Highlighted
Sightseer

I am a new GoPro user and the upload speeds and poor apps have absolutely ruined it for me. I have very, very fast wired internet and still the uploads are beyond painful to the point of being unworkable. GoPro is trashing their reputation with this junk.

Cancelling subscription and looking elsewhere for a new Camera. This one is going back to the store.

Highlighted
Explorer

Have you tried just uploading straight to the cloud via the camera? I've found that the mobile app as well as directly from the camera work much quicker. As far as the desktop app is concerned, if you have a lot of media, it can be very slow. Once it's caught up uploading all of your old media, it works pretty good. If I upload this way, I transfer the media and the let Quik run throughout the night.