Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Sightseer

using windows quik for initial gopro8 setup

I am trying to use windows quik to set up my new gopro8 and am at the "connect your camera" prompt. camera is powered on and usb connected. quik says select "import files" when prompted. I am not recieving this prompt on the computer or camera. I am trying to use quik to set up this camera because I do not have a phone that can use the gopro app. I will not be buying a new phone just so that I can phone connect/setup my gopro. Please tell me how to make this setup work with a computer before i give up on ever using or recommending a gopro product ever. Thank you.

Adam

Hiker

Re: using windows quik for initial gopro8 setup

GoPro

Hello @adaml12825. These troubleshooting steps should help resolve the issue. Have a go at them and let us know how it works out. 

If you are simply setting up the camera for first-time use, it is always best to make sure first that it is with the latest firmware. We recommend doing a manual update if updating via GoPro App is not possible. The steps below will guide you through the manual update process: 

1. Go to the Update page and choose your HERO8 camera.
  2. Under "Other ways to update" at the base of the page, click "Update your camera manually."
  3. Enter your Serial Number and other requested information, click Next Step.
  4. Click "Download Update."
  5. Click "Click here to download firmware."
  6. Follow the steps on the screen for detailed instructions for your operating system. 

Make sure that the camera is fully charged and that the SD card is formatted prior to the process. Let us know how it works out. Thanks!

Tourist

The Quik app doesn't currently support the Hero 8, that's why you can't setup your new camera, import videos, add GPS stickers, or update camera firmware. Pretty impresssive support for their new flagship product 2 months after release.

GoPro

Currently, the Quik for desktop app supports the HERO8 Black only in terms of importing media to a computer. GPS gauges are not being detected/displayed at this time. 

Tourist

I am unable to get the software to recognize the camera at all, my computer does and i can pull the files via sd card but not directly from the camera via USB-C. Extremely disappointing that the primary GoPro software for windows doesn't support the latest model and I'm forced to use the tiny screen on my phone to get videos how I want them.

GoPro

Sorry to hear about that, @shayw52. We have received reports from other users that the app may or may not recognize the camera via direct connection depending on the cable used (USB2.0, USB 3.0) which would be dependent on the USB port on the computer. We have done testing on our end though and it does not matter which cable we use, Quik recognizes the camera. These observations have been shared with the team but we have no new information from them until this time. Does Quik detect your GoPro media when the SD card is inserted directly into your computer?