Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Highlighted
Tourist

slow video upload from sd card to gopro plus account

Has there been any resolution since the posts from GoPro to get back to their users?

i have just completed a tour using my GoPro Hero 5 Black, signed up for the Pro Plus account and started to sync. I have a mixture of 256 photos and videos on the SD card, and 12.5 hours later only 84 uploaded. Longest video is 7 mins, most are under a minute.

This auto upload feature needs some serious tweaking and some intelligence as to what’s has been previously uploaded to avoid duplicationsoccuring also.

As with other users, Internet is not an issue (on my h9me network - although would be good if it works when away from home using hotel WiFi), GoPro is charged and on mains adapter.

Only solution I see is resorting to DSLR type uploads, SD card into a Laptop, download, then upload to Pro Plus, which is not why I signed up for this auto upload feature. 

Has GoPro answered previous questions raised here back end of 2018 as I see no further replies.

Thanks 

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: slow video upload from sd card to gopro plus account

[ Edited ]

Hello @bagpussot. Thank you for sharing. Our team is currently looking into the issue. It would help us if we can get more information regarding your particular case. Are all the missing files video files? Are you still able to access them through the camera? See if the missing files are videos that are long enough to be chaptered when accessed through a computer. Let us know what you find out. Thanks!

Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks for coming back so quickly. 

I am not sure if you misunderstand however, I am not missing any files and not sure where this impression came from within my post.

My main issues are

1. Very slow upload to GoPro Plus with good internet speed. My uploads of 284 mixed video and photos took from 22:00hrs 21 April through to 19:50hrs 22 April. Nearly 24 hours !

2. When uploading to GoPro Plus, the camera or GoPro Plus web server (not sure which), does not seem to have the intelligence to compare files already uploaded previously, to those new files on the SD card, thus seems to review the entire SD card from fresh every time, I current,y have not clean my SD card as not downloaded to laptop or backup device whilst travelling each day wanted to backup only those from each days travels. This 8s seemingly not possible on a WiFi network within hotels or coffee shops only my home network.

Now all is uploaded to GoPro Plus using my home WiFi, there is no issue other than the time it takes to upload, and of course not being able to save each days events whilst travelling either on mobile data or a non home WiFi network. I would expect the ability to use a hotel WiFi as least for example. Mobile data is not an option when the current speed to upload takes so long.

If the upload load speed was improved dramatically, and the ability to use any WiFi when out and about would reduce the quantity of uploads required by the very nature of having flexibility to do so. More frequent and faster uploads, equals less time to auto upload !!

Based on current upload speeds, I will have to resort back to my Colourspace UDMA 3 which at least I can back up when and where I want to until GoPro find a solution and not a workaround. This day an age, such upload server speeds are a must, not an nice to have.

Look forward to receiving an update to improving this issue especially considering how many people including myself use the GoPro “in the field” so to speak.

Highlighted
GoPro

Thank you for the reply, @bagpussot. Sorry, I assumed that the rest of the files were not uploaded as 84 files were the only uploaded files out of the 256 files even after 12.5 hours of upload. Appreciate you providing more details to further describe the issue. 

At this time, the auto upload feature is not currently compatible with Wi-Fi networks that have no password (open Wi-Fi networks), or those that require an acceptance of terms and conditions (e.g., public hot spots). We also observed the slow upload and had this reported to the team in charge. As of this writing, we have not received any update yet. We will pass along to them your feedback for the specific points you presented. Thanks!

Highlighted
Sightseer

I bought a Hero 6 black a few months ago, and now that I setup the gopro plus account to go on a 2 week trip I find the issue described here, I did a few tests on small videos with good internet conexion at home and it is way too slow.

How am I supposed to upload 2 hours of videos every day? this is unacceptable, we pay top money for what is advertised as the 8th wonder to find it useless unless you carry your laptop all over the place which is obviously unpractical.

I hope you fix it soon enough or will be losing customers and buyers.

Highlighted
Sightseer

I assume there's been no updates since I'm ready to throw my go pros in the ocean with these ridiculous upload issues. I really want to get a new camera, but I can't justify spending $400+ for a camera and accessories with a company that can't address a serious issue that they can see on their own forums is affecting a multitude of users.

Is this an attempt by go pro to offer a service in name only? It feels like they're intentionally slowing uploads to save money on cloud storage hoping most users just won't use it.
Highlighted
GoPro

Hello, @adeptspiri3480. There have been improvements made on the upload speed for media to the PLUS cloud. How do you usually upload your media to the cloud? By saying that it is from the SD card to the cloud, do you mean you are doing it via auto upload with the camera as a hub? 

If you haven't yet, try adding media to your PLUS cloud using these other methods. This would be helpful in determining which method of upload is most efficient on your end. Let us know how it goes. Thanks!