Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Tourist

quik initializing deletion hangs

[ New ]

i see that someone had this problem 2 years ago and there is no useful answer in the forum.

i have a hero 5 black. my normal practice is to remove the micro sd card and insert it using a usb adapter widget. there are about 40000 timelapse images on this SD card. quik imported several thousand and quit; this is kind of "normal" and usually i can just click import again to continue. today, quik is hanging with "initializing deletion". i will leave it running overnight but this does not seem promising.

Tourist

Re: quik initializing deletion hangs

[ New ]

Quik version is 2.7.0.874, Mac OS version is 10.14.6 with all current updates applied.

Tourist

[ New ]

crashed after about an hour, restarted, hung overnight with this screen

quikinitializationhang.png
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @richardw876

Have you tried copying the files from the SD card to your computer?

After this, try adding it as a Media folder.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!
Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

i copied them as a backup. if i add them as a media folder, will quik reorganize them into folders by date and sequence? 

Tourist

[ New ]

ok, added them in quik and let it run. it correctly groups them in the UI, but does not reorganize them on disk. so this approach is going to make a mess out of my workflow; this is going to be very tedious and painful.

Tourist

[ New ]

i am gradually teasing out a way to limit the misery in reorganizing the imagery. but two points:

1) the only way to find out the images at the beginnig and end of a time lapse sequence in this mode is to view the sequence in quik and then, with the image in question queued up, use grab image to find out the actual filename of the image

2) viewing a sequence in quik has always been unreliable, and the first sequence i examined while working on this, well, the images don't actually show up.

Tourist

[ New ]

i think i need to make it very clear why this matters.

Quik is not the end game for me. once i have the images on disk, i have scripts (python and shell), some i wrote and others i get from others, that i pass over the imagery so that i can upload to openstreetcam.org and mapillary.com. to write reliable scripts, i depend on the expected result of a quik import, which normally reorganizes the imagery into time lapse sequences by date. when quik fails, which is rare but not unheard of, it substantially increases my work load. these failures have been around for a while (witness the 2017 posting about the same message i was getting), and despite new versions of quik coming out, i see no evidence of fixes to certain problems. quik needs two things:

1) fixes to some real problems (import bugs and failure to display images at times)

2) if the answer to import bugs is going to continue to be "copy and add media" then it needs some data organization functions so we can patch things up after the fact

GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for the feedback @richardw876

We'll have this shared to the team.

Regards,

Ej