Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Highlighted
Sightseer

iMovie displaying black files instead of my clips

hi, i usually edit my gopro clips in imovie and have no issues uploading from my gopro hero 4 to my macbook air through imovie. I'm trying to upload my clips as usual and i can access some of the clips but there are 262 clips that just appear as a black screen and i dont know how to access my clips. Any ideas? when i googled it it suggested the files may be corrupt but i am unsure. 

Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 16.02.41.png
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: iMovie displaying black files instead of my clips

Hi @caitsmo

What SD card are you using?

Have you tried using other applications to play the files back?

Thanks!
Ej

Highlighted
Sightseer

Hi, thank you for your response.

I am connecting my GoPro to my MacBook through the charging cable and USB port. I have since tried to view the files on the GoPro app and they are also not able to be viewed on there. I can see the files but when I click on them it won’t let me view them. However I can watch the clips on playback on the gopro itself.
Highlighted
GoPro

Thank you for the details that you provided, @caitsmo. Based on the icon on each image, we can see that those are photo files. Would you know if they are single photos takes, or photos as part of a burst sequence, or a time lapse recording? 

A black thumbnail indicates that the file resolution is too high for the device or the media player used to read/access but this mostly applies to video files. 

See if using a different media player or program makes a difference. Which SD card are you using? The brand, type, and capacity information will be helpful. 

Highlighted
Sightseer

Hi there, yeah I realised it looks like they are photos, but on my GoPro they are displaying as videos. I know exactly which files are the missing files on iMovie and they are all videos and no pictures so I am unsure why they are displaying as photos.

Do you mean which SD card is in my GoPro?

I have also realised that the missing footage was previously uploaded to my computer through iMovie but has now dissapeard from my iMovie library and that’s when I noticed these black picture files.

What type of media player or program do you suggest that I use?
Highlighted
GoPro

@caitsmo. There is a list of programs here that you may try. Should the issue persist, our Support team at https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs will be able to help you with further troubleshooting.