Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Highlighted
Sightseer

Re: gopro hero 8 can't connect to pc

Same problem for me. Waiting for solution......

Highlighted
Hiker

I'm sure this isn't what anyone wants to hear and I know the solution should be just a simple "plug it in and it works" but..... I've owned and still own quite a few Hero models including every "Black edition", Session and Session5, Hero 2, and some models I have multiple of. One of the very first things I learned was NEVER EVER plug your camera directly into your computer. EVER!!!  

1. The camera transfer is slow.... all of them are.

2. USB ports aren't exactly all the same.

3. Keep your memory cards seperate. When the "Gopro software" works for you it will recognize the memory card as being from your gopro if you format it in camera. If you format it in another Gopro it might get confused and treat it as if it was from the other Gopro and create a mess of the file system it uses. This is also important for firmware updates. If you update one camera with it's memory card it probably won't update another camera with the same card automatically. ALWAYS keep these cards seperate.

4. Use the memory card list. PERIOD...... Stray from the list and you will experience issues. Memory cards are NOT standard in the way you might think. This is not a Gopro issue. There are several cards that will work that aren't on the list but you have to be able figure that out with money. Cheap cards aren't worth it no matter where or how you use them. This includes the ones you might get in the bundle from a retailer. I would think Gopro would only supply cards that work with a bundle you get directly from them but I don't buy that way. YES I am saying even Sandisk makes cheap crap cards that WILL NOT work correctly in your Gopro. YES I do know what all the standards logos mean on the package. That doesn't matter. USE THE CARDS FROM THE LIST.

Waiting for Gopro to fix this issue will not change these facts. 

Highlighted
Tourist

Sorry, but your solution or answser does nothing to resolve the issue.  Do you work for GoPro?  Your argument about memory cards being different, etc., is exactly why the camera should hook up directly to the PC! If you have a large memory card and don't need to remove it from the camera, then what you want is to plug your camera with its "dedicated" card into the computer.  Kind of obvious common sense right?  No need to be swapping cards and geting them mixed up if they stay in the camera because the camera downloads directly to the computer! Duh?!?

As for USB speed not being fast enough, I've not had that problem.  I've used Prosumer Sony's that had no problem whatsoever being recognized and swapping files. 

Sorry, but this is BS and I'm going back to Costco this weekend to return the GoPro and by the new DJI Osmo Pocket bundle for $359.   I can't believe a company as well known as GoPro could drop the ball so big time here and then not even join this discussion with a solution. 

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

Sorry I fail to see why reading directly from the card is better. It takes longer: you need to physically fiddle with the memory card, getting it out, find a mem card reader and hope that it's a fast one, transfer files and then fiddle to get the card back in the slot.

Compare that with plug cable in USB port, transfer and done.

It worked fine for my Hero 6 on the same freaking PC, but now the PC just fails to detect the Hero 8.

Long story short: both methods should work and GoPro *needs* to fix this. Period.

Highlighted
Hiker

To all: please contact support and spam them with this issue. Perhaps finally some will listen.

Highlighted
Hiker

No I do not work for Gopro. I was trying to point out that I have a little bit of experience with this issue. I have yet to plug my Hero 8 directly to my computer for the reasons I have already stated. But if you have done any testing on the speed of the transfer between your machine and the memory card you would understand what I'm trying to say. I'm only offering my help. You don't have to take my word for it. Look it up yourself. But when you find out that I'm right you will see that plugging it in to your machine isn't needed. Should you be able to? Yes!! Gopro should fix it if it is indeed the camera. Do a little research before you decide to call me out on my advice.

Highlighted
Tourist

@jamess8653 wrote:

No I do not work for Gopro. I was trying to point out that I have a little bit of experience with this issue. I have yet to plug my Hero 8 directly to my computer for the reasons I have already stated. But if you have done any testing on the speed of the transfer between your machine and the memory card you would understand what I'm trying to say. I'm only offering my help. You don't have to take my word for it. Look it up yourself. But when you find out that I'm right you will see that plugging it in to your machine isn't needed. Should you be able to? Yes!! Gopro should fix it if it is indeed the camera. Do a little research before you decide to call me out on my advice.

Your advices are nice but provides ZERO help for this particular issue.

Highlighted
Hiker

@juhao43 wrote:

Your advices are nice but provides ZERO help for this particular issue.

Maybe you and everyone else could go back and read the Gopro response. Maybe even look at all the threads related to your issue. Seems you have 3 options here and in this order.

1. Take your Gopro back and return it for a refund.

2. Listen to another users advice and enjoy your Hero8.

3. Sit and wait until your return period has expired and waste your time while you wait for an issue to be resolved by Gopro.

I don't know about all of you but I would be ready to explode with option 3. If you research action cameras in general then option 2 would make you happy. Option 1 would make you smart.