Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: gopro hero 8 can't connect to pc

[ Edited ]

When inserting the SD card directly in the PC, the card is recognized by my PC as "SDXC" and by Quik as well. Through this method I can import files. But for some weird reason, the import then only imports WAV files. And they seem to be all silent as well. I cannot see any MP4s, even though I can see them on my GoPro. What's up with that?

It's when I directly connect the GoPro 8 to my PC, with the official cable and the same SD Card, when things are failing even more. In that case Quik doesn't recognise it at all.

Highlighted
Hiker

Another thing I noticed is that when importing files from the SD Card (with Hero 6 content) directly, Quik seems to recognize the SD card as being from a Hero 8 (probably because it has been inserted in the Hero 8 once). And Quik imports WAV files from dates that aren't even on the SD card anymore! I suddenly see two folders in my file explorer: one from my earlier import that contains MP4 and WAV files and one folder that is labeled "HERO8 Black 1" that contains only WAV files. But AFAIK that date wasn't even on my SD card anymore.

This software has some real strange quirks if you ask me.

Highlighted
Tourist

I have been chasing this issue for several hours only to find I am not the only one to suffer from this issue.  I first tried to connect new Hero 8 to my 2 week old Dell 7590 i7 Windows 10 32GB laptop but found the same thing everyone is reporting here...Hero 8 never shows up in Explorer.  I tried Hero8 cable, to USB3 port on 7590, I tried two other cables that I know are working cables on my other cameras...no joy.  All of this without using the Quick software.   I tried installing the Quick software...no joy.  The really odd thing is that each time I connect the Hero 8 to my 7590 it shows up as an unspecified device in my control panel (see screenshot below) but never shows up in explorer.  Next I tried connecting Hero8 to my 8 year old ZT desktop using a USB 2 port on the desktop and it popped right up in Explorer...I could see the pictures, I could play the videos.  Next I connected Hero8 to 2 year old Dell P75F laptop...again popped right up.  Finally I connected Hero 8 to my sons Dell XPS 9360 and again it popped right up.  So what I learned is that this is not a cable problem because I used the same cable on all the other devices.  At this point I am out of ideas and plan to try calling GoPro tech support and see what they suggest :(ScreenshotHero8.jpg

Highlighted
GoPro

@bluewater60482, please run any available OS updates and make sure to have the latest update for your Graphics Card/s drivers installed. Use the GoPro USB-C cable that came with the camera. There are some troubleshooting steps here that will help: 

Alternatively, you may use an SD card reader/adapter to connect the microSD card to your computer. 

Highlighted
Sightseer

Has there been any resolution to this? I still cannot get my computer to recognize my camera when plugged into the usb drive.

Highlighted
Tourist

Relegated to using older PC and Laptop to get content.

Highlighted
Hiker

the only option that works for me is to use an SD card reader. It's downright crazy that GoPro doesn't address this obvious bug. This has nothing to do with an OS that is out-of-date, or a malfunctioning USB-C cable. It has everything to do with customer support and the clear lack thereof.

Highlighted
Sightseer

I can get my files off of the sd card. It's just a pain having to move it back and forth. Then when I try to load a video in quik it locks up. Aggravating!