Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Tourist

gopro hero 8 can't connect to pc

after installation the quik software on pc and did the instruction to connecting still have issue.

i did remove/install few times, nothing works

thanks for help

Sightseer

Re: gopro hero 8 can't connect to pc

I have the same problem with my gopro hero 7 black.
The camera says it is connected, but there is nothing hapening in the quik app??? how do i get my media on my computer.

GoPro

Hi @christianp50411,

Just leave it plugged in and your media will be synced automatically or will be transferred to your computer.

If that is not working check if you can see your camera under File Explorer.

Just manually copy and paste the file to your computer. 

After that try to use an SD card adapter and reformat your SD card using your computer. 

After reformatting your SD card reset your camera to factory settings. 

That should work after doing that. 

Regards,

-Jay

Hiker

New GoPro 8 here as well that doesn't show up in Quik. Reinstalled USB drivers and different USB ports. Nothing happened. I need to access the clips that are on the SD card. When accessing them through an SD card reader, only some WAV files show up, so I need the camera. But... in good ol GoPro fashion: the software is buggy as hell. Please help

GoPro

Hi @reuf,

Have you tried checking if you can see your files on the file explorer?

If you're using Mac - Check your desktop. 

Normally it appears as Untitled or No Name. 

Manually transfer them to your computer first and then reformat your SD card. 

By the way you should use an SD card adapter to format your SD card using your computer. 

After that reset your camera and check if you will now be able to transfer files using Quik. 

Regards,

-Jay 

Hiker

[ Edited ]

Hi Jay,

Thanks for the reply, but as said in my previous post: I cannot see the video files if I use an SD card reader. I only see WAV, THM and LRV files. However on my new HERO 8, I am able to see the video files.

So I tried another SD card, formatted it using the camera and connected the HERO 8 to my PC. As expected, same behavior: Quik simply boots in "Media Mode", with the camera nowhere to be seen. Also factory resetting the device did absolutely nothing. Quik simply refuses to detect the device. And there isn't even a way to force Quik to search for the camera. No menu option, nothing.

But Windows does recognize the camera as HERO 8 USB device and through "Browse Files" I suddenly am able to pull the MP4s from the device. But obviously this is cumbersome and totally defeats the whole purpose of Quik. And there seem to be issues with video files appearing all black...

Why doesn't Quik simply recognize my new HERO 8? It's a new device and it fails to connect to the official Windows app for transferring files, on the very first attempt. This sounds like a bug to me and I'd appreciate it if GoPro would take a look at this.

Hiker

Added info: the device shows up in File Explorer as "MTP USB Device" in WIndows 10. Perhaps that's a clue on what goes wrong here? I already tried to update the MTP USB driver. To no avail.

Hiker