Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Tourist

gopro hero 8 can't connect to pc

[ New ]

after installation the quik software on pc and did the instruction to connecting still have issue.

i did remove/install few times, nothing works

thanks for help

Sightseer

Re: gopro hero 8 can't connect to pc

[ New ]

I have the same problem with my gopro hero 7 black.
The camera says it is connected, but there is nothing hapening in the quik app??? how do i get my media on my computer.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @christianp50411,

Just leave it plugged in and your media will be synced automatically or will be transferred to your computer.

If that is not working check if you can see your camera under File Explorer.

Just manually copy and paste the file to your computer. 

After that try to use an SD card adapter and reformat your SD card using your computer. 

After reformatting your SD card reset your camera to factory settings. 

That should work after doing that. 

Regards,

-Jay

Hiker

[ New ]

New GoPro 8 here as well that doesn't show up in Quik. Reinstalled USB drivers and different USB ports. Nothing happened. I need to access the clips that are on the SD card. When accessing them through an SD card reader, only some WAV files show up, so I need the camera. But... in good ol GoPro fashion: the software is buggy as hell. Please help

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @reuf,

Have you tried checking if you can see your files on the file explorer?

If you're using Mac - Check your desktop. 

Normally it appears as Untitled or No Name. 

Manually transfer them to your computer first and then reformat your SD card. 

By the way you should use an SD card adapter to format your SD card using your computer. 

After that reset your camera and check if you will now be able to transfer files using Quik. 

Regards,

-Jay 

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi Jay,

Thanks for the reply, but as said in my previous post: I cannot see the video files if I use an SD card reader. I only see WAV, THM and LRV files. However on my new HERO 8, I am able to see the video files.

So I tried another SD card, formatted it using the camera and connected the HERO 8 to my PC. As expected, same behavior: Quik simply boots in "Media Mode", with the camera nowhere to be seen. Also factory resetting the device did absolutely nothing. Quik simply refuses to detect the device. And there isn't even a way to force Quik to search for the camera. No menu option, nothing.

But Windows does recognize the camera as HERO 8 USB device and through "Browse Files" I suddenly am able to pull the MP4s from the device. But obviously this is cumbersome and totally defeats the whole purpose of Quik. And there seem to be issues with video files appearing all black...

Why doesn't Quik simply recognize my new HERO 8? It's a new device and it fails to connect to the official Windows app for transferring files, on the very first attempt. This sounds like a bug to me and I'd appreciate it if GoPro would take a look at this.

Hiker

[ New ]

Added info: the device shows up in File Explorer as "MTP USB Device" in WIndows 10. Perhaps that's a clue on what goes wrong here? I already tried to update the MTP USB driver. To no avail.

Hiker

[ New ]
Sightseer

[ New ]
As previously stated I have this problem, so what I tried was using my old computer with an older version of the GoPro quik - which worked! So my old computer with an older version of quik can detect my camera and import the files, and therefrom I then moved the files from my old computer to the new one. I see this problem as a bug for the new GoPro quik version! I hope that GoPro staff will have a look at this and fix this in a new version of the program.
Hiker

[ New ]

There is no new Quik version: it's the same version as I had with my GoPro 6. That camera did work with it. It's the same Quik version, same PC, same USB port, same SD card, even the same USB-C cable... The only difference is the camera. HERO 6 worked fine, HERO 8 does not.

If GoPro reads this, please provide me with some answers on how to support Windows 10 for this new camera.

Thanks

Sightseer

[ New ]

после установки программного обеспечения quik на ПК и сделал инструкцию для подключения все еще есть проблема.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello Everyone!

Please make sure you are using the cable supplied with the HERO8 Black

Alternatively you can also use another USB-C cable but ensure that the port is USB3.0

Camera is Not Recognized on Quik for desktop - Windows

Camera is Not Recognized on Quik for desktop - Mac

You may also reach out to our Support Team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs for further assistance.

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]
Please don’t insult our intelligence by coming up with these standard answers. People take effort to report real bugs here.
As said, the camera came straight out of the box. I used the original cable. My hero 6 is recognized. My hero 8 is not. Quik is buggy, simple as that.
Hiker

[ New ]
I have tried everything. Spent all day downloading and re downloading Quick and resetting camera. Tried new SD. Reset USB ports . Spent 3 hours on phone with Go Pro. I was told to send brand new camera back. Not sure a new camera will solve this problem based on other comments
Hiker

[ New ]
So frustrating. I am sending back my brand new Hero 8 because it won’t connect with Quick. Spend hours trying to make it work. So frustrating
Hiker

[ New ]

could someone from GoPro please respond to this thread? We all seem to have the same problem: the new Hero 8 cannot connect to our PC. We've tried everything to no avail. Please tell us how to fix this and why we shouldn't send the device back because of malfunctioning.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @reuf. Are your GoPro files recognized by your computer or by Quik for desktop when the SD card is directly inserted via SD card adapter? Have you tried using the cable from your HERO6 Black camera package to connect the HERO8 Black to your computer? By any chance, have you been able to use a different computer to access your HERO8 Black footage? 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @skipmcq. Is there a case number that we can use as a reference for your interaction with Support? Thanks!

Hiker

[ New ]

Case#: 07518281

I have returned my camera as requested by Go Pro.. I worked with the Go Pro tech on the phone for several hours trying things on camera, card, cables and computer and we could not get camera or SD card with Go pro 8  footage to show up in QUICK. She suggested I return camera so I did.

GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for the information you provided, @skipmcq. We will check with Support regarding the case. 

Hiker

[ New ]

Thank you.

I would appreciate it if my cameral replacement could be expedited, My defective camera is supposed to arrive in Riverside on Wed Feb 19

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi I'm trying to connect my gopro to my computer but when I plug it in with an usb cord it doesnt come up.

Tourist

[ New ]

To clarify, there is no "import files" pop up when I plug it in to my computer, even though my computer recognizes it is there

GoPro

[ New ]

Is it recognized as a storage device or an MTP device? @bobdini24

By the way are you using Mac or Windows?

-Jay

Hiker

[ New ]

When inserting the SD card directly in the PC, the card is recognized by my PC as "SDXC" and by Quik as well. Through this method I can import files. But for some weird reason, the import then only imports WAV files. And they seem to be all silent as well. I cannot see any MP4s, even though I can see them on my GoPro. What's up with that?

It's when I directly connect the GoPro 8 to my PC, with the official cable and the same SD Card, when things are failing even more. In that case Quik doesn't recognise it at all.

Hiker

[ New ]

Another thing I noticed is that when importing files from the SD Card (with Hero 6 content) directly, Quik seems to recognize the SD card as being from a Hero 8 (probably because it has been inserted in the Hero 8 once). And Quik imports WAV files from dates that aren't even on the SD card anymore! I suddenly see two folders in my file explorer: one from my earlier import that contains MP4 and WAV files and one folder that is labeled "HERO8 Black 1" that contains only WAV files. But AFAIK that date wasn't even on my SD card anymore.

This software has some real strange quirks if you ask me.

Tourist

[ New ]

I have been chasing this issue for several hours only to find I am not the only one to suffer from this issue.  I first tried to connect new Hero 8 to my 2 week old Dell 7590 i7 Windows 10 32GB laptop but found the same thing everyone is reporting here...Hero 8 never shows up in Explorer.  I tried Hero8 cable, to USB3 port on 7590, I tried two other cables that I know are working cables on my other cameras...no joy.  All of this without using the Quick software.   I tried installing the Quick software...no joy.  The really odd thing is that each time I connect the Hero 8 to my 7590 it shows up as an unspecified device in my control panel (see screenshot below) but never shows up in explorer.  Next I tried connecting Hero8 to my 8 year old ZT desktop using a USB 2 port on the desktop and it popped right up in Explorer...I could see the pictures, I could play the videos.  Next I connected Hero8 to 2 year old Dell P75F laptop...again popped right up.  Finally I connected Hero 8 to my sons Dell XPS 9360 and again it popped right up.  So what I learned is that this is not a cable problem because I used the same cable on all the other devices.  At this point I am out of ideas and plan to try calling GoPro tech support and see what they suggest :(ScreenshotHero8.jpg

GoPro

[ New ]

@bluewater60482, please run any available OS updates and make sure to have the latest update for your Graphics Card/s drivers installed. Use the GoPro USB-C cable that came with the camera. There are some troubleshooting steps here that will help: 

Alternatively, you may use an SD card reader/adapter to connect the microSD card to your computer. 

Sightseer

[ New ]

Has there been any resolution to this? I still cannot get my computer to recognize my camera when plugged into the usb drive.

Tourist

[ New ]

Relegated to using older PC and Laptop to get content.

Hiker

[ New ]

the only option that works for me is to use an SD card reader. It's downright crazy that GoPro doesn't address this obvious bug. This has nothing to do with an OS that is out-of-date, or a malfunctioning USB-C cable. It has everything to do with customer support and the clear lack thereof.

Sightseer

[ New ]
I can get my files off of the sd card. It's just a pain having to move it back and forth. Then when I try to load a video in quik it locks up. Aggravating!
Tourist

[ New ]

Same issue here! Cannot connect camera with cable that came with. Hero 7 black running the latest sw. Windows 10. 

Tourist

[ New ]
Same camera with same cable works just fine with Mac. Please fix you windows compatibility ASAP!
Tourist

[ New ]

Updating to latest video driver and windows is no help...

Sightseer

[ New ]

Same issue here! Cannot connect My brand new Hero 8 black camera with cable that came with. running the latest sw. Windows 10. 

tried all the GoPro advice yes can load from SD but what a hassel card slot has bad access and hard to remove card.

Was realy looking forward to this camera what a disapointment and based on all the blogs I have been reading over this issue has been going on for a while. Why have you not sorted out

Hiker

[ New ]
Short answer: they don’t care and have different priorities. The current Quik version is older than the Hero 8 and GoPro didn’t bother to update it to address this aforementioned issues. It’s amazing they get away with this.
Tourist

[ New ]

I'm having the exact same issue.

Sightseer

[ New ]
So does anyone's camera work through the cable with windows 10?
Tourist

[ New ]

No.  Seems no one can and seems GoPro does not care.  I think I am going to return mine to Costco and buy the DJI Osmo that Costco also sells since GOPRO hasn't helped this thread at all and so many people have expressed the identical problem.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Same problem for me. Waiting for solution......

Hiker

[ New ]

I'm sure this isn't what anyone wants to hear and I know the solution should be just a simple "plug it in and it works" but..... I've owned and still own quite a few Hero models including every "Black edition", Session and Session5, Hero 2, and some models I have multiple of. One of the very first things I learned was NEVER EVER plug your camera directly into your computer. EVER!!!  

1. The camera transfer is slow.... all of them are.

2. USB ports aren't exactly all the same.

3. Keep your memory cards seperate. When the "Gopro software" works for you it will recognize the memory card as being from your gopro if you format it in camera. If you format it in another Gopro it might get confused and treat it as if it was from the other Gopro and create a mess of the file system it uses. This is also important for firmware updates. If you update one camera with it's memory card it probably won't update another camera with the same card automatically. ALWAYS keep these cards seperate.

4. Use the memory card list. PERIOD...... Stray from the list and you will experience issues. Memory cards are NOT standard in the way you might think. This is not a Gopro issue. There are several cards that will work that aren't on the list but you have to be able figure that out with money. Cheap cards aren't worth it no matter where or how you use them. This includes the ones you might get in the bundle from a retailer. I would think Gopro would only supply cards that work with a bundle you get directly from them but I don't buy that way. YES I am saying even Sandisk makes cheap crap cards that WILL NOT work correctly in your Gopro. YES I do know what all the standards logos mean on the package. That doesn't matter. USE THE CARDS FROM THE LIST.

Waiting for Gopro to fix this issue will not change these facts. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Sorry, but your solution or answser does nothing to resolve the issue.  Do you work for GoPro?  Your argument about memory cards being different, etc., is exactly why the camera should hook up directly to the PC! If you have a large memory card and don't need to remove it from the camera, then what you want is to plug your camera with its "dedicated" card into the computer.  Kind of obvious common sense right?  No need to be swapping cards and geting them mixed up if they stay in the camera because the camera downloads directly to the computer! Duh?!?

As for USB speed not being fast enough, I've not had that problem.  I've used Prosumer Sony's that had no problem whatsoever being recognized and swapping files. 

Sorry, but this is BS and I'm going back to Costco this weekend to return the GoPro and by the new DJI Osmo Pocket bundle for $359.   I can't believe a company as well known as GoPro could drop the ball so big time here and then not even join this discussion with a solution. 

Hiker

[ New ]

Sorry I fail to see why reading directly from the card is better. It takes longer: you need to physically fiddle with the memory card, getting it out, find a mem card reader and hope that it's a fast one, transfer files and then fiddle to get the card back in the slot.

Compare that with plug cable in USB port, transfer and done.

It worked fine for my Hero 6 on the same freaking PC, but now the PC just fails to detect the Hero 8.

Long story short: both methods should work and GoPro *needs* to fix this. Period.

Hiker

[ New ]

To all: please contact support and spam them with this issue. Perhaps finally some will listen.

Hiker

[ New ]

No I do not work for Gopro. I was trying to point out that I have a little bit of experience with this issue. I have yet to plug my Hero 8 directly to my computer for the reasons I have already stated. But if you have done any testing on the speed of the transfer between your machine and the memory card you would understand what I'm trying to say. I'm only offering my help. You don't have to take my word for it. Look it up yourself. But when you find out that I'm right you will see that plugging it in to your machine isn't needed. Should you be able to? Yes!! Gopro should fix it if it is indeed the camera. Do a little research before you decide to call me out on my advice.

Tourist

[ New ]

@jamess8653 wrote:

No I do not work for Gopro. I was trying to point out that I have a little bit of experience with this issue. I have yet to plug my Hero 8 directly to my computer for the reasons I have already stated. But if you have done any testing on the speed of the transfer between your machine and the memory card you would understand what I'm trying to say. I'm only offering my help. You don't have to take my word for it. Look it up yourself. But when you find out that I'm right you will see that plugging it in to your machine isn't needed. Should you be able to? Yes!! Gopro should fix it if it is indeed the camera. Do a little research before you decide to call me out on my advice.

Your advices are nice but provides ZERO help for this particular issue.

Hiker

[ New ]

@juhao43 wrote:

Your advices are nice but provides ZERO help for this particular issue.

Maybe you and everyone else could go back and read the Gopro response. Maybe even look at all the threads related to your issue. Seems you have 3 options here and in this order.

1. Take your Gopro back and return it for a refund.

2. Listen to another users advice and enjoy your Hero8.

3. Sit and wait until your return period has expired and waste your time while you wait for an issue to be resolved by Gopro.

I don't know about all of you but I would be ready to explode with option 3. If you research action cameras in general then option 2 would make you happy. Option 1 would make you smart.

Hiker

[ New ]
I’ve had it with GoPro. After hours chatting with customer support, there has been absolutely no follow up on this issues. I don’t expect it to be fixed anymore. That’s it for me. I’ll return it to the store. Awesome features, but what is it worth with such crappy software and customer support...?
Tourist

[ New ]

I'm happy to report that I did manage to connect my GoPro8 black to my PC windows 10 laptop via the USB 3.0 port.  And while it was a little slow downloading all the files it worked. But while I was doing that my new Anker USB 3.0 card reader was just delivered to my door, so I'm going to test that out now... and I will report back......... Hope this is some help to you.

My laptop is an old HP EliteBook 8440p   many years old......