Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Find a solution. Share a solution. Ask a question. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Highlighted
Hiker
Accepted Solution

gopro fusion studio 1.3 uses 16gb memory then crashes

Fusion studio 1.1 worked with amd r9-200 GPU but newer versions of the software did not as we know! Changed over to a Nvidia 1060 6Gb and the newer Fusion Studio worked BUT computer goes into slow -almost stopped- mode after a few minutes rendering. I noticed that the old 1.1 version of the software only used half my memory -8Gb- while the latest version uses all 16Gb of memory. Could this be the problem? Is it running out of memory and therefore almost stopping the computer? I was rendering 5.1 audio. I will try stereo next having seen other posts.....

Accepted Solutions
Hiker

Re: gopro fusion studio 1.3 uses 16gb memory then crashes

I have just retested the render of the 02:11 video at 5.2K resolution and 360 Audio and the 16Gb of main memory filled up after 9% of the render was completed!!

At 4K resolution and 360 Audio the memory filled up after 28% of the rendering.

HOWEVER I have been leaving the APP to select the output codec AND if I change from the CineForm '422 High' which seems to be the one the program selects, to ProRes 422 the memory does not fill up and I can render the video at 5.2Kresolution and 360 Audio.

This means 02:11 video gives 12Gb of output it seems!!!  6Gb per minute!!!

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

Hi @supplyimaging,

Please try to observe it again without any background apps running or from fresh start. 

Hope to hear from you.

Thanks,

-Jay 

Hiker

As has been mentioned by others, when I tried the same rendering but audio selected as stereo, the render worked. It only used 14gb of memory if that so it looks like the memory useage is the problem. It may work if I select 4k resolution and surround sound which I may try tomorrow. There were no other apps running as such and I don't have any other programs that cause this sort of slow down. I use the computer for video editing large 4K projects and large sound projects with no problems. Could there be some memory type setup that would alter the way the memory is managed?

Hiker

It seems the 360 Audio is the problem even at 4K resolution. When I render the same clip the memory fills up as the render goes on until it reaches 16Gb (my max memory) and the computer slows to an almost stop. 4K renders about twice the speed of 5.2K I noticed while doing these tests.

The memory useage using Stereo for rendering stays approx. the same at around 8Gb most of the time so it looks like the 360 Audio is leaving some contents in memory while rendering instead of cleaning it up.

Hiker

Another test shows that at 2K and 3K and 360 Audio the rendering was OK and the memory did not fill up!! In fact it stayed quite low useage.

GoPro

Thank you for the updates, @supplyimaging . Do the results then verify that the crashing is not due to the 360 audio? Where you rendering with the same resolution setting on the video? Does the length of the video being rendered matter? 

Hiker

The results show that with a 02:11 render if I render in 4K or 5.2K resolution AND 360 Audio then the 16Gb of memory I have on my computer fills up and the computer slows to a snails pace - looks like it has crashed but really it is running VERY slowly. If the sound is rendered as Stereo AND/OR the resolution is set at 3K or less the rendering works and the memory does not fill up! Computer spec attached

cam_111918_1.jpg
Hiker

I have just retested the render of the 02:11 video at 5.2K resolution and 360 Audio and the 16Gb of main memory filled up after 9% of the render was completed!!

At 4K resolution and 360 Audio the memory filled up after 28% of the rendering.

HOWEVER I have been leaving the APP to select the output codec AND if I change from the CineForm '422 High' which seems to be the one the program selects, to ProRes 422 the memory does not fill up and I can render the video at 5.2Kresolution and 360 Audio.

This means 02:11 video gives 12Gb of output it seems!!!  6Gb per minute!!!