Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Anonymous

fisheye to straight?

[ New ]

Hi, 

what is the best way (software/pugin) to transform the fisheye footage to straight images?

Accepted Solutions
GoPro Community Manager

Re: fisheye to straight?

[ New ]

You can adjust a Wide shot and remove fisheye using our Studio software (included in Quik for Desktop). More details on how to do this can be found here.

Thanks,

Jeff

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro Community Manager

[ New ]

You can adjust a Wide shot and remove fisheye using our Studio software (included in Quik for Desktop). More details on how to do this can be found here.

Thanks,

Jeff

Anonymous

[ New ]

How Can I Remove the Distortion (Fisheye) Effect in GoPro Quik?
Where can I download Gopro Studio?
Under Desktop App, this software is no longer offered.

Thanks
Matt

Tourist

[ New ]

Hey Jeff.   

Your "here" link is no longer a valid location.  Quik doesn't seem to offer a "remove fisheye" feature, and I"m being informed that Studio isn't available anymore.  

FIsheye looks stupid and should never be the default for GoPro in the first place.  

How do I fix this blunder?

Explorer

[ New ]
If you don't like "fisheye" then why are you filming in wide or superview? You can fix the blunder by maybe taking some time to learn more about the camera and it's shooting modes. Here is a good site that gives great details about all of the GoPro cameras http://abekislevitz.com/?catid=11

If you don't want to change the fov or need to edit video already shot, there are other video editing software that are available that will remove the fisheye. Adobe after effects with Optics compensation does a very good job at it.

GoPro cameras are action cameras that provide a wider fov than most cameras can capture. The camera doesn't have a "fisheye" lens but rather a wide fov lens that due to the curvature that naturally happens when filming with a lens like this, it can give a "fisheye" look. You purchased a wide angle lens camera but think the wide angle looks stupid? You might just be using it wrong or in the wrong situations.

You can set the default fov for your camera. Medium and Narrow fov use more of the center of the camera sensor and crop the edges giving a straighter and less rounded appearance. If you don't want "fisheye", I suggest you use these settings.
Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks, Daniel.  Yeah, I had a 4 Session and just put it on the highest settings and hit the button. 

I bought the 6 last week for a trip to Hawaii, and I've been learning a lot.   I'm in the middle of that trip now and have taking some fantastic 4K60 footage.  Now I'm having a problem editing the footage on my MacBook Pro.  I can watch directly from my camera, but uploading to my computer renders the files useless.  GoPro Studio won't import 4K, nor will Final Cut Pro.   I can convert the footage on Handbrake but it dumbs it down to 1080.  

Any ideas on how I can edit said footage on my computer in it's original 4K60 quality?

I have found a lot of the same question from others, but so far no solutions.  What's your suggestion?

Thanks!!

Anonymous

[ New ]

Really?

"If you don't like "fisheye" then why are you filming in wide or superview?"

Telling someone looking for help that it's his/her fault is not helpful, it' bullying.

Narrow mode isn't straight and requires editing too.

GoPro got the rid of the only intuitive way to remove fisheye (Studio), it's not our fault. 

"there are other video editing software that are available that will remove the fisheye" requires research, trial and error, and learning a new tool which is a hassle. Good solutions aren't free either.

Come on GoPro and kids who leart advanced settings - give us a break and the right tools.

Anonymous

[ New ]

NOT SOLVED. Studio isn´t there anymore. Quik is total crap, do NOT install. GoPro, publish your fisheye algorithm as a lens distortion preset for CC, Vegas, and all the other editors if you´re too lazy to update your own. This really SUCKS.

Explorer

[ New ]
CC, creative cloud? Adobe Premiere Pro has presets.
Anonymous

[ New ]

GoPro Studio

http://download.cnet.com/GoPro-Studio/3000-18515_4-75974744.html

GoPro Studio for Mac

http://download.cnet.com/GoPro-Studio/3000-13631_4-75993258.html

I have the install file saved on a thumb drive in case I ever need to install it on another computer in the future.

Anonymous

[ New ]

GoPro Studio

http://download.cnet.com/GoPro-Studio/3000-18515_4-75974744.html

GoPro Studio for Mac

http://download.cnet.com/GoPro-Studio/3000-13631_4-75993258.html

Save the install file in a safe location (thumb drive, external hard drive) in case you need to install the software on a computer in the future.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Thank you quickflame77508!

Anonymous

[ New ]

Thank you, Quickflame.

GoPro Support - Are there plans to roll out a replacement to the GoPro Studio?  GoPro Quik has almost no useful features at all.  

Folks saying "Why did you shoot in such and such mode"  - if the GoPro had an easier to use interface it wouldn't be so difficult to change settings while out filming.  But since it does not have an easy to use interface, it is was helpful to be able to have a full set of editing features for post production which GoPro Studio included.

That said, I don't think there is a way to turn off the fisheye effect in my Hero 3 White.  It's the way the lens was designed.  And no, you don't need a fish eye distortion effect in order to have a wide field of view.

GoPro Community Manager

[ New ]

GoPro has not announced any plans to replace or relaunch GoPro Studio. Content created on GoPro cameras is editable on nearly all other editing programs including iMovie, VSDC, Premiere Pro, and Final Cut Pro.

The interface of GoPro cameras has improved with nearly every generation. With the HERO5 Black, the HERO6 Black, and now the new HERO, seeing what settings you're on and switching between the modes is as simple a touching the rear display on the camera. Even on older cameras, we've continued to upgrade the GoPro app which makes it super-easy to change settings.

Anonymous

[ New ]
I totally get that and realize my GoPro is an older model .. and a lower end model as well, but even if I could choose a non-fisheye format on the camera itself I might change my mind later.

I do appreciate the advice about the other software, but it still has to be converted into a standard file type before it can be edited on those third party software packages, doesn't it?

Explorer

[ New ]
No, GoPro Studio required that the file be converted to Avi or mov. Most editors do not require this. If you prefer to work with another format, you can convert the files with a free program called Handbrake.
Explorer

[ New ]
A couple of other free editors you can also, lm as well as those mentioned above, are DaVinci Resolve and HitFilm Express.
Anonymous

[ New ]
I just used GoPro Studio using the links above. It converted my video straight from the GoPro, trimmed it and removed the fish eye effect. All in one convenient software.

But hey, you're right. Cool?
Explorer

[ New ]

Anonymous

[ New ]
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @Anonymous, 

You can try this link: https://gopro.com/help/articles/how_to/How-Can-I-Remove-the-Distortion-Fisheye-Effect-in-GoPro-Studio

GoPro Studio has long been retired so you will only be able to access this feature if you have the GoPro Studio already, or still installed on your computer. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Anonymous

[ New ]

Actually I have a new IMac. Renstalled Quik after uninstalling it by using another software to remove it entirely to stop the unavailable music error. No, I no longer have have the Studio software and I have found Quik to be truly worthless. I accomplished nothing with it. I don't want highligths, I want my videos. I accomplished what I needed this time with the fish eye uncorrected and of the cameras I own the GoPro is now my last choice.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hi all,

if anyone has a download link for Studio, would be greatly appreciated. Fisheye removal was a standard option there. I reinstalled Windows and now I am stuck with this "Quik" /&$§" - another case of software getting dumber and dumber. whinge over!

G

Sightseer

[ New ]

It is obvisous this person is new to GoPro. No need to chastice him.  Just give him the solution or don't comment if it bothers you. 

Explorer

[ New ]

@skyworks

Who are you talking to and what are you referencing?