Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Highlighted
Hiker
Accepted Solution

fisheye to straight?

Hi, 

what is the best way (software/pugin) to transform the fisheye footage to straight images?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

Re: fisheye to straight?

You can adjust a Wide shot and remove fisheye using our Studio software (included in Quik for Desktop). More details on how to do this can be found here.

Thanks,

Jeff

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

You can adjust a Wide shot and remove fisheye using our Studio software (included in Quik for Desktop). More details on how to do this can be found here.

Thanks,

Jeff

Highlighted
Tourist

How Can I Remove the Distortion (Fisheye) Effect in GoPro Quik?
Where can I download Gopro Studio?
Under Desktop App, this software is no longer offered.

Thanks
Matt

Highlighted
Tourist

Hey Jeff.   

Your "here" link is no longer a valid location.  Quik doesn't seem to offer a "remove fisheye" feature, and I"m being informed that Studio isn't available anymore.  

FIsheye looks stupid and should never be the default for GoPro in the first place.  

How do I fix this blunder?

Highlighted
Explorer

If you don't like "fisheye" then why are you filming in wide or superview? You can fix the blunder by maybe taking some time to learn more about the camera and it's shooting modes. Here is a good site that gives great details about all of the GoPro cameras http://abekislevitz.com/?catid=11

If you don't want to change the fov or need to edit video already shot, there are other video editing software that are available that will remove the fisheye. Adobe after effects with Optics compensation does a very good job at it.

GoPro cameras are action cameras that provide a wider fov than most cameras can capture. The camera doesn't have a "fisheye" lens but rather a wide fov lens that due to the curvature that naturally happens when filming with a lens like this, it can give a "fisheye" look. You purchased a wide angle lens camera but think the wide angle looks stupid? You might just be using it wrong or in the wrong situations.

You can set the default fov for your camera. Medium and Narrow fov use more of the center of the camera sensor and crop the edges giving a straighter and less rounded appearance. If you don't want "fisheye", I suggest you use these settings.
Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

Thanks, Daniel.  Yeah, I had a 4 Session and just put it on the highest settings and hit the button. 

I bought the 6 last week for a trip to Hawaii, and I've been learning a lot.   I'm in the middle of that trip now and have taking some fantastic 4K60 footage.  Now I'm having a problem editing the footage on my MacBook Pro.  I can watch directly from my camera, but uploading to my computer renders the files useless.  GoPro Studio won't import 4K, nor will Final Cut Pro.   I can convert the footage on Handbrake but it dumbs it down to 1080.  

Any ideas on how I can edit said footage on my computer in it's original 4K60 quality?

I have found a lot of the same question from others, but so far no solutions.  What's your suggestion?

Thanks!!

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

Really?

"If you don't like "fisheye" then why are you filming in wide or superview?"

Telling someone looking for help that it's his/her fault is not helpful, it' bullying.

Narrow mode isn't straight and requires editing too.

GoPro got the rid of the only intuitive way to remove fisheye (Studio), it's not our fault. 

"there are other video editing software that are available that will remove the fisheye" requires research, trial and error, and learning a new tool which is a hassle. Good solutions aren't free either.

Come on GoPro and kids who leart advanced settings - give us a break and the right tools.

Highlighted
Sightseer

NOT SOLVED. Studio isn´t there anymore. Quik is total crap, do NOT install. GoPro, publish your fisheye algorithm as a lens distortion preset for CC, Vegas, and all the other editors if you´re too lazy to update your own. This really SUCKS.