Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Find a solution. Share a solution. Ask a question. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
GoPro Apps for Desktop
Sightseer

can't import files to quik from desktop

HI,

i recently went to bali and only brought my laptop and an external hard disk. i had to export the videos from my gopro to the macbook and then transferred them to my external hard drive. I then deleted the videos from the micro SD so that i could take more footage. all the videos in my external hard disk are (.m4v) format and can be played by quick time player. but when i try to open them on the quik desktop app, it doesn not open. i also tried transferring the video files to a folder on my desktop, restarting my computer and then trying to import using the add media function of the quik app, but still fail. I have footage from my gopro that can be imported directly to the quik app without any issues.

how do i solve this issue. please help. i need to use the quik app to capture images from the videos taken and can't figure out how to import these videos. i also tried copying the videos back into the microSD of the camera but it keeps saying the file is too big and there is not enough space even after i have deleted everything from the sd card.

PLEASE HELP MEEEE

GoPro Community Manager

Re: can't import files to quik from desktop

@rapidbeach5721 - GoPro videos are saved as mp4 files, not m4v. It sounds like the videos were converted to the m4v format (an Apple format) by your laptop. This can happen, for example, if you imported the content off your SD card using an Apple program instead of Quik.

Here's something to try to get the original mp4 files back...

1. Open the Photos app
  2. Select the files to export
  3. File - Export - Export Unmodified Original
  4. Click Export
  5. Save it to a easy to view location. Preferably a new folder on the Desktop.
  6. Click Export Originals

From there, you should be able to import the files into Quik since they are now back to MP4 files. It looks like the Photos application just treats imported videos differently. Once you have the mp4 files, you can add them into Quik.

I hope that helps. Please let us know if you have any problems with this. Going forward though, please do try to import the content using the Quik app just to be safe.

Thanks,

Jeff

Sightseer

Hey Jeff, 

I had the same problem as we started uploaded GoPro videos to my ipad but it filled up so now we just upload them to our mac but right into the Quik App. Now we have some GoPro footage that is on the ipad (still in the Capture app) as well as upload to iPhoto on the mac BUT we cannot add them to the desktop Quik app so that we can make a video with all of our footage. 

So, we exported them into the orginal format and saved them but I cannot figure out how to import them into the Quik app from there.. help!

Thank you,

Michaela

GoPro

Hey @miccceyela,

Have a look at the "Setting Up Media Folders" section of this article. As long as your files are in MP4 format, you should be able to get them to sync in your Quik for desktop gallery. 

Quick tip: It's typically more efficient if you set your media folders in Quik for desktop to the highest level possible. For example, if you have a bunch of videos in /Desktop/My GoPro Videos/Summer Vacation/HERO5 Black folder, just have Quik for desktop scan /Desktop/. It will look for anything under the Desktop section so you don't have to add each individual folder as a result.

I hope this helps!

~ Mowens

Tourist

There is a problem with the Quik desktop software. I tried virtually every option I can find online but it wont import my mp4 files on PC or on mac. All my video files are mp4 format however Quik software does NOT find the files when I specify the location, just shows "0 files added". PLEASE FIX THIS ISSUE GOPRO. 

gopro prob.JPG
Sightseer

Having the same problem.  Have my videos on my Macbook Air in .mv4 because I just uploaded them to my mac.  Tried to upload to Quik desktop and no luck.  Tried exporting the .mv4 files to originial format and the came back .MOV not mp4 unfortunately.  Really a pain for something that should be so simple.  This needs to be fixed by GoPro!!!

Sightseer

Just came back from a family trip to Hawaii with a lot of great content, unfortunately I am having the exact same issue as matts45800.  I downloaded the files straight from a microSD card to my iMac.  Using Quick, I try to add media and the application does not recognize any media files in the specified folders.  When I originally imported the files to my iMac it appears that the files defaulted to .mov and Quick is not recognizing the media.  Very frustrating...please fix GoPro.

GoPro Community Manager

@808runner703 - Quik for Desktop recognizes GoPro video files in the mp4 format. When using other importers (particularly Apple import tools), those importers may convert the files to Apple-friendly formats like mov files. Unfortunately, by converting the files, they can't be read by Quik.

If you still have the original files on your SD card, the easiest option is going to be to try and import the files directly into Quik, or just move the original files off the SD card onto your hard drive without converting them.

If the original files are not available, you can try to convert the mov files back into mp4 files. There are online converters that can do this.

Another option is just to use the mov files. If you want to edit those files though, you'll need to use another editor. An editor like iMovie should be able to do that for you.

Thanks,

Jeff